Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I recently bought a s-h. Toyota Auris.

When taking delivery, I demanded a lesson on how to change a wheel, or
more correctly, where was the spare, jack, lock-nut key etc.

Surprise. No spare. Just an electric pump (which is good and which
I've always carried anyway, even in a car with a spare) and a bottle
of gunge.

Same with my car (7 seater VW Touran)

Any comments on the effectiveness of this solution?

I let you know when I have a puncture. ;-)

The lack of a spare has caused me some worry; but that having been
said, and rapidly touching wood, I haven't had to change a wheel in
maybe 20 years --- an electric pump or foot pump always being able to
temporarily remedy punctures due to nails or thorns. Plus, renewing
tyres well before they are beyond the 1.6-mm legal limit.

Like you, I've had the odd slow puncture but the pump has always got me to
a tyre depot.

I worried at first when I got my car but I rationalised that carrying that
amount of weight around all the time just doesn't make sense in this day
and age. It's a bit like carrying an umbrella *every* day, just in case
it rains. Of course, the inconvenience of a puncture is far greater than
just getting wet but I think not having a spare encourages one to keep a
closer eye on tyre wear and encourages earlier replacement (which is good
for safety if not for the planet).

Tim

Spare tyres seem to encourage some people to keep 20% of their tyres
illegal.

"Stick the bald one in the boot, it'll do in an emergency" seems a common
saying.

The spare on my van is brand new as is the spare spare I keep in the shed
(the spare spare is there so that if I get a puncture I can put a working
spare back on the van when I get home at night and drop the punctured tyre
off somewhere for repair and not waste time waiting)

Adam
Adam