Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

My daughters got a Hyundai and punctured a rear tyre on a kerb damaging the sidewall the puncture repair kit was totally useless for that. To top it all there was not even a jack or a wheel brace to remove the wheel so she had no option but to call out the AA.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote in message
I have just come home from having a puncture in the tyre of my Auris. I
hit a pothole. The 'gunge' was absolutely useless, as the tyre was badly
damaged. It can and does happen. The reasdon I am on this site is that I
am looking for a 'get you home' wheel.

I really don't understand the comment regarding not carrying a sapar wheel
in this day and age. I am living testament to the fact that tyres still
puncture.

What I look from in a spare wheel is one which is fully functional, even if
it's plain steel rather than alloy.

The sort that you used to get on all cars until a couple of decades ago,
which allowed to to complete your journey and then take the punctured tyre
to be mended at a convenient time.

Nowadays if you *do* get a puncture, it's a "drop everything, change your
plans" emergency because you have to get to a tyre repair place within 50
miles, and wait until they can manage to repair or replace your tyre - and
hope that if they need to replace it, it's one that they keep in stock,
otherwise you have to arrange overnight accommodation and hang around until
it's been delivered.

I think virtually every time I've had a puncture it's been discovered late
at night on a Sunday as I've been about to make a 250 mile journey back
home - not a good time to find a garage open :-(

Temporary spare tyres ought to be banned and manufacturers ought to be
compelled by law to find a way of fitting a full-size spare with no speed or
distance limits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

They call the AA etc.

Who will truck the car to a tyre repair place,

how does that work ay 10pm?

or fit one on the spot or whatever.

where do they get the spare from?

Dunno, My guess is they have depots

Assuming that you are capable and confident of changing a wheel, and can
actually release the spare wheel from its housing (*), then which would you
prefer - to be able to change your own wheel and continue your journey after
a few minutes, or wait an hour or so for the AA to arrive, maybe half an
hour to arrive at the tyre repair depot, several hours for the tyre to be
delivered there from a depot, and *then* a few minutes for the wheel to be
changed?

Changing a wheel should ideally be a trivial inconvenience that delays you
maybe 15 mins max, not a major disaster than delays you by many hours.
Manufacturers tend to put design of car before convenience for the driver.

(*) I had a car with the space wheel slung in a wire basket below the floor
of the boot. The bolt that releases that cage had a head that had a very
wide flat indentation, like an oversized flat-blade screw, into which you
fitted the flattened end of the wheelbrace, rather than a proper hexagonal
nut the same size as the wheel nuts. The bolt was seized up and the
wheelbrace couldn't get a proper purchase on the screw head, so I had to
call out the RAC - simply to undo the bolt that released the wheel. Once
he'd done that it was plain sailing. Mind you, it took him a *long* time to
manage to get the bolt to turn because he too couldn't get any purchase on
the bolt. He was on the point of getting an angle grinder out to grind out a
couple of flats so he could turn it with a mole grip or an adjustable
spanner. We both cursed the parentage of the designers at Peugeot :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NY
writes
What I look from in a spare wheel is one which is fully functional,
even if it's plain steel rather than alloy.

On both my current vehicles, the spare was transferred from my previous
vehicle. Because of this stupid fashion for thin tyres, they differ from
the rest of the wheels on the car, but have been declared OK.

What seem to have come in in the meantime are these idiotic aluminium
nut covers that come with one flimsy plastic "puller" in the boot to get
at the real wheel nut.

I am told they are purely decorative and I can take them all off.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2016 14:02, NY wrote:

Temporary spare tyres ought to be banned and manufacturers ought to be
compelled by law to find a way of fitting a full-size spare with no
speed or distance limits.

You can do that yourself. You may however object to the cost and the
space it takes in the boot - but if you want that reliability, you need
to take that trade-off.

Wheels are enormous these days - the reduction in luggage capacity from
carrying a full size spare is significant, especially in a small car.

Or you could make sure that when you buy a car, it either has what you
need or you include in the budget and capacity calculations the DIY option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 04:19:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, September 14, 2009 at 2:26:19 PM UTC+1, Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I recently bought a s-h. Toyota Auris.

When taking delivery, I demanded a lesson on how to change a wheel, or
more correctly, where was the spare, jack, lock-nut key etc.

Surprise. No spare. Just an electric pump (which is good and which I've
always carried anyway, even in a car with a spare) and a bottle of gunge.

Any comments on the effectiveness of this solution?

The lack of a spare has caused me some worry; but that having been said,
and rapidly touching wood, I haven't had to change a wheel in maybe 20
years --- an electric pump or foot pump always being able to temporarily
remedy punctures due to nails or thorns. Plus, renewing tyres well
before they are beyond the 1.6-mm legal limit.

I'd guess the gunge would be ineffective for a puncture caused by severe
kerbing or hitting a large stone? And you wouldn't want to ruin a tyre
with it if just a small relatively slow puncture.

I suppose I could buy a spare; there is space for one if the container
for the pump and gunge was removed.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell
www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.

I have just come home from having a puncture in the tyre of my Auris. I hit a pothole. The 'gunge' was absolutely useless, as the tyre was badly damaged. It can and does happen. The reasdon I am on this site is that I am looking for a 'get you home' wheel.

I really don't understand the comment regarding not carrying a sapar wheel in this day and age. I am living testament to the fact that tyres still puncture.

I think it must be 20 years or more since either the mrs or me had a
puncture that the tyre shop would repair. It's aways too near the
edge, nail gone in at the wrong angle, or just backing the car out of
the garage has "damaged" the tyre wall. "Sorry sir, it'll have to be a
new tyre, can't repair that one"!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 12:33:56 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

https://tyres.theaa.com/tyre-advice/...age/punctures/

where they recommend you don't fit a spare wheel at all, as its too
dangerous by and large etc etc...

Ford seem to go half way there - my Focus has got a 'get you home' spare
wheel but no jack or wheel brace, so I'd have to call a garage or the AA
to change it. Might just as well have saved the weight and luggage space.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:05:22 on Fri, 22 Apr
2016, tim... remarked:
https://tyres.theaa.com/tyre-advice/...age/punctures/

where they recommend you don't fit a spare wheel at all, as its too
dangerous by and large etc etc...

actually they say

"don't fit it at the side of the road"

It's got to be better than fitting it in the middle of the road.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 15:31:08 on
Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Davidm remarked:

I think it must be 20 years or more since either the mrs or me had a
puncture that the tyre shop would repair. It's aways too near the
edge, nail gone in at the wrong angle, or just backing the car out of
the garage has "damaged" the tyre wall. "Sorry sir, it'll have to be a
new tyre, can't repair that one"!

A tyre place repaired one for me two weeks ago.

It was actually in for the tyre to be fitted the other way round as it
was apparently one of those with a specific rotation direction and been
incorrectly fitted by whoever a previous owner used as a tyre emporium.

Anyway, they said it had a slow puncture too.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2016 14:02, NY wrote:
wrote in message
I have just come home from having a puncture in the tyre of my Auris.
I hit a pothole. The 'gunge' was absolutely useless, as the tyre was
badly damaged. It can and does happen. The reasdon I am on this site
is that I am looking for a 'get you home' wheel.

I really don't understand the comment regarding not carrying a sapar
wheel in this day and age. I am living testament to the fact that
tyres still puncture.

What I look from in a spare wheel is one which is fully functional, even
if it's plain steel rather than alloy.

SNIP

Temporary spare tyres ought to be banned and manufacturers ought to be
compelled by law to find a way of fitting a full-size spare with no
speed or distance limits.

The trouble is that tyres on modern vehicles are wider and it makes a
big difference. We have a Focus mk2, which we bought 2nd hand. It had a
full sized spare, but we asked the dealer to swap it for the spacesaver
from another Focus that we were looking at there. The reason was that
the wider full sized spare needed a foam insert on the boot floor under
the carpet to give a level floor and that 2-1/2" to 3" was enough that
our double trolley would not fit properly in the boot.

Even now, years later, losing that much boot space would be the
difference between getting a big shop (for 5 of us) in the boot or the
kids having to have bags on their knees - unless I took out the stuff
that I've got nowhere else to store and want in the car anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Most can be repaired. It is just that tyre places only offer patching of
the tyre by the simplest method and that rules out repairs to the
sidewalls or the shoulders of the tyre. A proper place, that can do a
vulcanised repair, can do repairs in these areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark Allread wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 12:34:31 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

NB: I notice that the OP was responding to a very old thread.

Whenever I have a tyre changed, I usually slacken the nuts off a bit
with a breaker bar, and retighten them to what I think is a more
sensible level.

Using a torque wrench set to the correct measurement of course rather
than just guessing.

Just what KwikFit do. Mind, I've never seen them adjust it...

--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

They can, but its not legal to drive on it if they do.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/16 12:19, wrote:
I really don't understand the comment regarding not carrying a sapar
wheel in this day and age. I am living testament to the fact that
tyres still puncture..

The rationale is - as I discovered on pulling over to help a woman with
a puncture - that very few people actually are capable of changing a
wheel.

They call the AA etc.

Who will truck the car to a tyre repair place, or fit one on the spot or
whatever.

e.g.

https://tyres.theaa.com/tyre-advice/...age/punctures/

where they recommend you don't fit a spare wheel at all, as its too
dangerous by and large etc etc...

Of course there is no self interest in that 'recommendation' at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/16 12:19, wrote:
I really don't understand the comment regarding not carrying a sapar
wheel in this day and age. I am living testament to the fact that
tyres still puncture..

The rationale is - as I discovered on pulling over to help a woman with
a puncture - that very few people actually are capable of changing a
wheel.

They call the AA etc.

Who will truck the car to a tyre repair place, or fit one on the spot or
whatever.

e.g.

https://tyres.theaa.com/tyre-advice/...age/punctures/

where they recommend you don't fit a spare wheel at all, as its too
dangerous by and large etc etc...

Not really, it links to this
http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover...flat-tyre.html
which is good advice,

Only where they recommend getting off high traffic roads.

But they don't make a distinction between a flat on
the traffic side of the car and a flat on the non traffic
side of the car where it is perfectly safe to change a tyre.

consistent with today's litigious culture.

It fails to mention that if you squirt the "gunk"
that's provided instead of a spare into the tyre,
most tyre places wont repair the puncture.

And it won't work with the worst tyre damage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote in message
[...]

I've never been in favor of that sort of law. Makes a lot more sense for
those who want a car with spare that is identical to the wheels in use
on the car to choose a car that does it like that. My Hyundai Getz does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

From what I can find (there are a lot of contradictory statements), the
central 60 to 70% of the tyre (the minor repair area "T") is what most
places can do - they do not have the equipment for anything else and
they normally simply state that the tyre cannot be repaired. The
remainder of the tyre, around the shoulder and down to the rim
protection bead (the major repair area "W") can only be repaired by hot
vulcanisation and almost no tyre places are set up for it. It does
however appear to be legal and some places can send tyres off for such a
repair.

As it happens, I had a normal repair to area "T" done a couple of years
ago and while sat in the waiting area I found a leaflet. The contents of
the leaflet were in agreement with what I have managed to find online.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:
[...]

I have mostly had repairs. Mostly due to screws producing a leak.
I did wonder whether it was deliberate sabotage, but the car is
parked on dirt, not concrete or slabs and on one occasion there
were two screws in the one tyre and they were almost 180 degrees
away from each other so it wouldn't have been possible to do that
deliberately.

And a new tyre is so damned cheap now that I just yawn when
I need a new one because it doesn't have enough tread left.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
********

**** off Wodney.
Infest somewhere else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote

https://tyres.theaa.com/tyre-advice/...age/punctures/

where they recommend you don't fit a spare wheel
at all, as its too dangerous by and large etc etc...

Ford seem to go half way there - my Focus has got a
'get you home' spare wheel but no jack or wheel brace,

That is completely ****ing barking mad.

But doesnt cost much to add both.

so I'd have to call a garage or the AA to change it. Might
just as well have saved the weight and luggage space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
********

**** off Wodney.
Infest somewhere else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2016 01:28, bm wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
********

**** off Wodney.
Infest somewhere else.

Rod is a tedious ****. You are too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/04/2016 01:28, bm wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
********

**** off Wodney.
Infest somewhere else.

Rod is a tedious ****. You are too.

Why thank you.
You have a better idea?
Please, elucidate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This post thread started in 2009. Can those viewing via other portals see
that date?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, bm
writes

"Clive George" wrote in message
news:XqOdnWd_LLS8V4fKnZ2dnUU78KednZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
On 23/04/2016 01:28, bm wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
********

**** off Wodney.
Infest somewhere else.

Rod is a tedious ****. You are too.

Why thank you.
You have a better idea?
Please, elucidate.

Just ignore. Better yet, find some way of killing his posts.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 02:10:20 +0100, bm wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/04/2016 01:28, bm wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
********

**** off Wodney.
Infest somewhere else.

Rod is a tedious ****. You are too.

Why thank you.
You have a better idea?
Please, elucidate.

Yes, time to killfile you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 02:10:20 +0100, bm wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/04/2016 01:28, bm wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
********

**** off Wodney.
Infest somewhere else.

Rod is a tedious ****. You are too.

Why thank you.
You have a better idea?
Please, elucidate.

Yes, time to killfile you.

Been in mine for years. Killfiling Rod AND his responders almost makes this
group like it was in the old days. It certainly vastly improves the signal
to noise ratio.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 22/04/16 12:34, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Whenever I have a tyre changed, I usually slacken the nuts off a bit
with a breaker bar, and retighten them to what I think is a more
sensible level. Some of the fitters seem to get carried away, these
days; and I bet that most people couldn't undo their tyre nuts with what
is generally found in the average wheel change kit.

Depends. Usually there is some bit of tube you can fit over the
wheelnut thingie. Or a roick you can bash it with

I've manually fitted stuff to 100+lb ft using nothing more than a 3 ft
bar. Same goes for wheelnuts. Impact drivers still have to be held in
someone's hand. There's a limit to the torque.

Of course many people don't understand just how tight wheel nuts need
to be...

But not so tight on alloys.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi John,

On Friday, 22 April 2016 16:04:46 UTC+1, The Other John wrote:

Ford seem to go half way there - my Focus has got a 'get you home' spare
wheel but no jack or wheel brace, so I'd have to call a garage or the AA
to change it. Might just as well have saved the weight and luggage space.

On the Focus (incl. C-Max) the jack, brace, towing eye and fuel funnel are all located in or under the spare, depending on year.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 07:57:30 -0700, Mathew Newton wrote:

On the Focus (incl. C-Max) the jack, brace, towing eye and fuel funnel
are all located in or under the spare, depending on year.

Not in my 58 reg they're not! Maybe the previous owner or the dealer
removed them.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other John wrote:
On the Focus (incl. C-Max) the jack, brace, towing eye and fuel funnel
are all located in or under the spare, depending on year.

Not in my 58 reg they're not! Maybe the previous owner or the dealer
removed them.

I'd be amazed if any maker supplied a spare without the means to change
it. Secondhand car could have anything missing.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 18:39:28 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
The Other John wrote:
On the Focus (incl. C-Max) the jack, brace, towing eye and fuel
funnel are all located in or under the spare, depending on year.

Not in my 58 reg they're not! Maybe the previous owner or the dealer
removed them.

I'd be amazed if any maker supplied a spare without the means to change
it. Secondhand car could have anything missing.

I just got a 'New S-Max' (their name). I had one previously that had no
spare wheel, just gunge in a bottle and a pump; luckily I never had to
use it.

The new car has a spare (wind it down from underneath the car), and the
'bit's (jack, brace, funnel) are in a compartment under the driver's seat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 April 2016 17:20:50 UTC+1, The Other John wrote:

Maybe the previous owner or the dealer removed them.

It sounds it.

You can pick them up off eBay for around £20 and would be worth having if you're carrying around a spare wheel without one!