Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

"Davidm" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 04:19:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, September 14, 2009 at 2:26:19 PM UTC+1, Jonathan Campbell
wrote:
I recently bought a s-h. Toyota Auris.

When taking delivery, I demanded a lesson on how to change a wheel, or
more correctly, where was the spare, jack, lock-nut key etc.

Surprise. No spare. Just an electric pump (which is good and which I've
always carried anyway, even in a car with a spare) and a bottle of
gunge.

Any comments on the effectiveness of this solution?

The lack of a spare has caused me some worry; but that having been said,
and rapidly touching wood, I haven't had to change a wheel in maybe 20
years --- an electric pump or foot pump always being able to temporarily
remedy punctures due to nails or thorns. Plus, renewing tyres well
before they are beyond the 1.6-mm legal limit.

I'd guess the gunge would be ineffective for a puncture caused by severe
kerbing or hitting a large stone? And you wouldn't want to ruin a tyre
with it if just a small relatively slow puncture.

I suppose I could buy a spare; there is space for one if the container
for the pump and gunge was removed.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell
www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.

I have just come home from having a puncture in the tyre of my Auris. I
hit a pothole. The 'gunge' was absolutely useless, as the tyre was badly
damaged. It can and does happen. The reasdon I am on this site is that I
am looking for a 'get you home' wheel.

I really don't understand the comment regarding not carrying a sapar wheel
in this day and age. I am living testament to the fact that tyres still
puncture.

I think it must be 20 years or more since either the mrs or me had a
puncture that the tyre shop would repair. It's aways too near the
edge, nail gone in at the wrong angle, or just backing the car out of
the garage has "damaged" the tyre wall. "Sorry sir, it'll have to be a
new tyre, can't repair that one"!

I have mostly had repairs. Mostly due to screws producing a leak.
I did wonder whether it was deliberate sabotage, but the car is
parked on dirt, not concrete or slabs and on one occasion there
were two screws in the one tyre and they were almost 180 degrees
away from each other so it wouldn't have been possible to do that
deliberately.

And a new tyre is so damned cheap now that I just yawn when
I need a new one because it doesn't have enough tread left.