Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

On 22/04/16 18:03, Steve Walker wrote:
On 22/04/2016 15:31, Davidm wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 04:19:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, September 14, 2009 at 2:26:19 PM UTC+1, Jonathan Campbell
wrote:
I recently bought a s-h. Toyota Auris.

When taking delivery, I demanded a lesson on how to change a wheel, or
more correctly, where was the spare, jack, lock-nut key etc.

Surprise. No spare. Just an electric pump (which is good and which
I've
always carried anyway, even in a car with a spare) and a bottle of
gunge.

Any comments on the effectiveness of this solution?

The lack of a spare has caused me some worry; but that having been
said,
and rapidly touching wood, I haven't had to change a wheel in maybe 20
years --- an electric pump or foot pump always being able to
temporarily
remedy punctures due to nails or thorns. Plus, renewing tyres well
before they are beyond the 1.6-mm legal limit.

I'd guess the gunge would be ineffective for a puncture caused by
severe
kerbing or hitting a large stone? And you wouldn't want to ruin a tyre
with it if just a small relatively slow puncture.

I suppose I could buy a spare; there is space for one if the container
for the pump and gunge was removed.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell
www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.

I have just come home from having a puncture in the tyre of my Auris.
I hit a pothole. The 'gunge' was absolutely useless, as the tyre was
badly damaged. It can and does happen. The reasdon I am on this site
is that I am looking for a 'get you home' wheel.

I really don't understand the comment regarding not carrying a sapar
wheel in this day and age. I am living testament to the fact that
tyres still puncture.
I think it must be 20 years or more since either the mrs or me had a
puncture that the tyre shop would repair. It's aways too near the
edge, nail gone in at the wrong angle, or just backing the car out of
the garage has "damaged" the tyre wall. "Sorry sir, it'll have to be a
new tyre, can't repair that one"!

Most can be repaired. It is just that tyre places only offer patching of
the tyre by the simplest method and that rules out repairs to the
sidewalls or the shoulders of the tyre. A proper place, that can do a
vulcanised repair, can do repairs in these areas.

They can, but its not legal to drive on it if they do.

From what I can find (there are a lot of contradictory statements), the
central 60 to 70% of the tyre (the minor repair area "T") is what most
places can do - they do not have the equipment for anything else and
they normally simply state that the tyre cannot be repaired. The
remainder of the tyre, around the shoulder and down to the rim
protection bead (the major repair area "W") can only be repaired by hot
vulcanisation and almost no tyre places are set up for it. It does
however appear to be legal and some places can send tyres off for such a
repair.

As it happens, I had a normal repair to area "T" done a couple of years
ago and while sat in the waiting area I found a leaflet. The contents of
the leaflet were in agreement with what I have managed to find online.