Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote in message
I have just come home from having a puncture in the tyre of my Auris. I
hit a pothole. The 'gunge' was absolutely useless, as the tyre was badly
damaged. It can and does happen. The reasdon I am on this site is that I
am looking for a 'get you home' wheel.

I really don't understand the comment regarding not carrying a sapar
wheel in this day and age. I am living testament to the fact that tyres
still puncture.

What I look from in a spare wheel is one which is fully functional, even
if it's plain steel rather than alloy.

The sort that you used to get on all cars until a couple of decades ago,
which allowed to to complete your journey and then take the punctured tyre
to be mended at a convenient time.

Nowadays if you *do* get a puncture, it's a "drop everything, change your
plans" emergency because you have to get to a tyre repair place within 50
miles, and wait until they can manage to repair or replace your tyre - and
hope that if they need to replace it, it's one that they keep in stock,
otherwise you have to arrange overnight accommodation and hang around
until it's been delivered.

I think virtually every time I've had a puncture it's been discovered late
at night on a Sunday as I've been about to make a 250 mile journey back
home - not a good time to find a garage open :-(

Temporary spare tyres ought to be banned and manufacturers ought to be
compelled by law to find a way of fitting a full-size spare with no speed
or distance limits.

I've never been in favor of that sort of law. Makes a lot more sense for
those who want a car with spare that is identical to the wheels in use
on the car to choose a car that does it like that. My Hyundai Getz does.