Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default British Gas HomeCare Ads Banned

British Gas adverts for what it claims is a 365-days-a-year home
maintenance service have been banned by a watchdog.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said customers might not get a
visit from an engineer on weekends or public holidays because of staff cuts.

The TV and radio commercials said the HomeCare service was "there for
you 365 days a year" but the ASA ruled that the ads were "misleading".

British Gas said it was disappointed by the decision and it planned an
appeal.

In its verdict, the ASA said: "We concluded that, without qualification
to make clear that a skeleton service operated at weekends and on public
holidays, the claim 'HomeCare is there for you 365 days a year' could
mislead."

Rest of story at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7814861.stm

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

British Gas adverts for what it claims is a 365-days-a-year home
maintenance service have been banned by a watchdog.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said customers might not get a
visit from an engineer on weekends or public holidays because of staff
cuts.

The TV and radio commercials said the HomeCare service was "there for
you 365 days a year" but the ASA ruled that the ads were "misleading".

British Gas said it was disappointed by the decision and it planned an
appeal.

In its verdict, the ASA said: "We concluded that, without qualification
to make clear that a skeleton service operated at weekends and on public
holidays, the claim 'HomeCare is there for you 365 days a year' could
mislead."

I must have imagined getting a visit from them, three hours after the
initial phone call, on a Saturday, a month or so back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Jan 2009 09:48:25 GMT, Adrian wrote:

[...]

When I used them many years ago their initial call out time was great.
It's a shame it always took many visits before they actually fixed the
problem. Once it took 13!

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
I must have imagined getting a visit from them, three hours after the
initial phone call, on a Saturday, a month or so back.

When I used them many years ago their initial call out time was great.
It's a shame it always took many visits before they actually fixed the
problem. Once it took 13!

That was my brother's experience too. Fitters who hadn't a clue about
fixing the actual fault so used the shotgun approach when it came to the
electronics in the boiler. None of which they actually carried with them.

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

I must have imagined getting a visit from them, three hours after the
initial phone call, on a Saturday, a month or so back.

When I used them many years ago their initial call out time was great.
It's a shame it always took many visits before they actually fixed the
problem. Once it took 13!

That was my brother's experience too. Fitters who hadn't a clue about
fixing the actual fault so used the shotgun approach when it came to the
electronics in the boiler. None of which they actually carried with
them.

The fitter diagnosed the fault in about ten minutes, didn't have the
part, but arranged it and a return visit for the Tuesday - and
temporarily got the boiler back into service there and then. He was only
here about 30min total.

HomeCare 200 [days?] [email protected] UK diy 5 April 1st 08 12:14 PM
British Gas Homecare Flexi Boiler Insurance seani UK diy 4 September 27th 07 07:19 PM
British Gas Homecare Terence UK diy 67 March 13th 06 10:07 PM
BG homecare Andy UK diy 7 February 9th 05 04:27 PM
Man banned from B&Q mogga UK diy 11 November 15th 04 05:09 PM