mogga

Default Man banned from B&Q

And nothing to do with the decking joke.

Its in the Manchester Evening News 10th nov.

Ronnie from Wigan was overcharged a couple of times and complained. So
they banned him.

Am looking for the story online
--
Free stuff by post
http://www.freestuffbypost.co.uk
T i m

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:57:34 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

mogga wrote:

Ronnie from Wigan was overcharged a couple of times and complained. So
they banned him.

I didn't get banned, but the local Homebase store manager refused to let
me in on a Sunday. That was for a similar reason, in this case they sold
me a lawnmower with parts missing. I took it back. The new one also had
parts missing so I took that back. Homebase Hitler refused to exchange
hte second one and then when I (politely) pointed out that he had no
option but to either offer a full refund or supply a lawnmower fit for
its purpose, pushed me back through the door and locked it.

Got a replacement the next day and refused to shop there ever again. Not
that I'm missing out, Homebase seem to exist to vastly overcharge for
every item of stock.

I bought a little halogen telescopic desk light to illuminate a small
breeding tank for my daughters guppies (tropical fish).

After about 3 months of timed daily use it stopped working (o/c
transformer) and I noticed the plastic base was slightly heat
distorted.

I took it back, told them what I had been using it for and the girl
took it out to show the manager. She came back and said the manager
had said that it wasn't designed for that purpose ..

I said, "What, standing on a desk and producing light"?

She said "Not lighting a fish tank"

I said "Where does it say that on the instructions?"

She said, "and not to be on all day"

I said "Where does it say that on the instructions?"

She .. no real answer ..

"Ok" I said .. "give it back to me and I'll show it to Trading
Standards ... and it could have set fire to my house .. "

I got a new one ... and another (a different model) a month after that
... that one was fine for a year till we stopped using it ;-)

"This desk lamp can be used on a desk but do not shine the light on a
transparent lid on a fish tank AND don't leave it on more than 8 hours
a day ... "

Yeah right ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Oh. I went back a few days later (on a Monday) and bought something
and requested my 10% off. They said there was no premotion running ..

I said "I think there is .. there's a 20' "10% off everything today"
banner out the front ..?

Them .. "Oh that was over the weekend .. that's finished?"

Me "There was no date on it and that's why I came in to buy this?"

The manager went out and took the sign down ... and gave me my 10%
;-)

G&M

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
I didn't get banned, but the local Homebase store manager refused to let
me in on a Sunday. That was for a similar reason, in this case they sold
me a lawnmower with parts missing. I took it back. The new one also had
parts missing so I took that back. Homebase Hitler refused to exchange
hte second one and then when I (politely) pointed out that he had no
option but to either offer a full refund or supply a lawnmower fit for
its purpose, pushed me back through the door and locked it.

I think threatening to get trading standards involved and a letter from your
solicitor to head office alleging assault might have got you it for free.

fred

In article , mogga
writes

What did he say, 5p for a ?@!%$# carrier bag? . . . . .
--
fred
Zikki Malambo

Oh. I went back a few days later (on a Monday) and bought something
and requested my 10% off. They said there was no premotion running ..

I said "I think there is .. there's a 20' "10% off everything today"
banner out the front ..?

Them .. "Oh that was over the weekend .. that's finished?"

Me "There was no date on it and that's why I came in to buy this?"

The manager went out and took the sign down ... and gave me my 10%
;-)

Reminds me of the time I worked for Stirling Microsystems back in the
80's.
(Anyone here build a 77-68 or a 69-09?)

We had a sale and people were coming in for days afterwards and saying
is the sale still on? I'd cheerfully give them thier discount (Happy
to sell something!) and then take down yet another SALE sign that we'd
overlooked!

Tony Williams

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:

Got a replacement the next day and refused to shop there ever
again. Not that I'm missing out, Homebase seem to exist to vastly
overcharge for every item of stock.

Our (new) Homebase seems to be doing loss-leadering, in
spades. Selected things cheaper, the cost being made
up by quietly holding up the price on most of the other
stock.

--
Tony Williams.
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:33:59 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

It's the size of the Homebase ripoff that irritates me. As with
Dixons/PC World they carge the earth for the consumable items while
selling the durables maybe a little cheaper than High Street prices.

I've just bought a huge (1/4 mile!) roll of thin mains flex from B&Q.
I thought I was doing well haggling it down to 1/3rd of list. Then I
got home and found I'd just about matched the Screwfix price !

--
Smert' spamionam
Tony Bryer

In article , Steve Firth
wrote:
Our (new) Homebase seems to be doing loss-leadering, in
spades. Selected things cheaper, the cost being made
up by quietly holding up the price on most of the other
stock.

It's the size of the Homebase ripoff that irritates me.

The thing that amazes me about our local Homebase is that they have
sublet part of our local store to Moben/Dolphin.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Tony Bryer writes:

The thing that amazes me about our local Homebase is that they have
sublet part of our local store to Moben/Dolphin.

I haven't been inside the Reading one for years, but that
used to have several other outlets inside, certainly I
recall Laura Ashley for furnishings at one time.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Trevor Smith

"mogga" wrote in message
And nothing to do with the decking joke.

Its in the Manchester Evening News 10th nov.

Ronnie from Wigan was overcharged a couple of times and complained. So
they banned him.

Am looking for the story online
--
Free stuff by post
http://www.freestuffbypost.co.uk

This was on BBC2 Jerermy Vine show last week, they talked to the guy who was
banned on the phone. I cant remember which day it was but you can listen to
it again on their web site.

Trevor Smith

---

:::Jerry::::

"Trevor Smith" wrote in message

snip

This was on BBC2 Jerermy Vine show last week, they talked to the guy who

was
banned on the phone. I cant remember which day it was but you can listen

it again on their web site.

That would be BBC Radio 2, 'dumb brains' Vine hasn't infested BBC2 tv
(yet)...

Trevor Smith

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Trevor Smith" wrote in message

snip

This was on BBC2 Jerermy Vine show last week, they talked to the guy who

was
banned on the phone. I cant remember which day it was but you can listen

it again on their web site.

That would be BBC Radio 2, 'dumb brains' Vine hasn't infested BBC2 tv
(yet)...

I'm the one in the corner with the silly hat!!
Trevor Smith

---