Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best web forum?

I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can be
arsed with the dickheads, some can't, I can't but seem morbidly forced to
read every post in every pointless thread in particular those in the ebay
group.

I have just unsubcribed to all the affected groups and there is only this
one left in my list, so if I decide to can usenet altogether what is/are the
best web forums out there?

TIA,
Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people
can be arsed with the dickheads, some can't, I can't but seem
morbidly forced to read every post in every pointless thread in
particular those in the ebay group.

Why not use the simple killfile system in Outlook Express 6 that you seem to
be using as a News Reader to sort out the posts/posters that you don't want
to read?

I have just unsubcribed to all the affected groups and there is only
this one left in my list, so if I decide to can usenet altogether
what is/are the best web forums out there?

Trouble is, that one persons 'best web forum' is anothers persons poison -
so the question that you pose is unanswerable really - just simply go
through the 100,000 plus news groups/forums and see what 'turns you on'.

Unbeliever

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can
be arsed with the dickheads, some can't, I can't but seem morbidly
forced to read every post in every pointless thread in particular those
in the ebay group.

I have just unsubcribed to all the affected groups and there is only
this one left in my list, so if I decide to can usenet altogether what
is/are the best web forums out there?

What makes you think there are no dick heads on forums? Moderated ones
might be better from that point of view but usually lacking in other ways.
I also hate the layout of them - usenet is so much easier.

A better way might be to get a newsreader with easily used killfiles and
filters.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can be
arsed with the dickheads, some can't, I can't but seem morbidly forced to
read every post in every pointless thread in particular those in the ebay
group.

I have just unsubcribed to all the affected groups and there is only this
one left in my list, so if I decide to can usenet altogether what is/are the
best web forums out there?

TIA,
Rick

There's another usenet group too, with a very different flavour to
he free.uk.diy.home

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can be
arsed with the dickheads,

Which is why I will reply to you! You sound like one if you can't even use
a computer
or a search engine. Stop being lazy, make the effort to go and find what
you need, then
do us all a favour and unsubscribe from this group too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
R D S wrote:

I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can

be
arsed with the dickheads, some can't, I can't but seem morbidly forced

read every post in every pointless thread in particular those in the

ebay
group.

I have just unsubcribed to all the affected groups and there is only

this
one left in my list, so if I decide to can usenet altogether what is/are

the
best web forums out there?

TIA,
Rick

There's another usenet group too, with a very different flavour to
he free.uk.diy.home

NT

Yep. Very quiet over there. I usually send them over here.

No one seems to find the d-i-y when they search for newsgroups.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"M Peters" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can

be
arsed with the dickheads,

Which is why I will reply to you! You sound like one if you can't even

use
a computer
or a search engine. Stop being lazy, make the effort to go and find what
you need, then
do us all a favour and unsubscribe from this group too.

Has the Christmas spirit got to you then?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
R D S wrote:
I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can
be arsed with the dickheads, some can't, I can't but seem morbidly
forced to read every post in every pointless thread in particular those
in the ebay group.

I have just unsubcribed to all the affected groups and there is only
this one left in my list, so if I decide to can usenet altogether what
is/are the best web forums out there?

What makes you think there are no dick heads on forums?

Oh i'm sure there are, but let's face it, usenet harbours some of the real
dregs.

Moderated ones
might be better from that point of view but usually lacking in other ways.
I also hate the layout of them - usenet is so much easier.

I find some of the message boards better to be honest.

A better way might be to get a newsreader with easily used killfiles and
filters.

Well i've been killfiling in some of the groups I use and ended up
unsubscribing when I realised there was little left.
This group is good, long may it stay that way but it is the last one I am
now subscribing to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Well i've been killfiling in some of the groups I use and ended up
unsubscribing when I realised there was little left.
This group is good, long may it stay that way but it is the last one I am
now subscribing to.

Is a solitary usenet group subscription /so/ different from a login to
one webforum, which in general is not portable to any other forum?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
R D S wrote:

Well i've been killfiling in some of the groups I use and ended up
unsubscribing when I realised there was little left.
This group is good, long may it stay that way but it is the last one I am
now subscribing to.

Is a solitary usenet group subscription /so/ different from a login to one
webforum, which in general is not portable to any other forum?

No, but I will get tempted to revisit old groups to see what's going on and
before long they will all be back there in the list.
Inevitably I will waste my time trawling through a load of drivel before
being drawn into an argument and end up being called a ****wit, which will
bother me much more than it should.
It has got a little boring and I reaslise that it is my fault/problem before
anyone points that out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "R D S" saying
something like:

Inevitably I will waste my time trawling through a load of drivel before
being drawn into an argument and end up being called a ****wit, which will
bother me much more than it should.

But that's normal, as you well know. Not necessarily normal for you,
iyswim, but NFU - Normal For Usenet.

It has got a little boring and I reaslise that it is my fault/problem before
anyone points that out.

I think you're being a precious little flower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

No one seems to find the d-i-y when they search for newsgroups.

Hardly surprising. What prize **** put the hyphens in when it was first
done?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"M Peters" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can be
arsed with the dickheads,

Which is why I will reply to you! You sound like one if you can't even
use a computer
or a search engine. Stop being lazy, make the effort to go and find what
you need, then
do us all a favour and unsubscribe from this group too.

And I rest my case.

That's that Ian Beale ****** again. Ignore him. Or Keel Heem if you
like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "R D S" saying
something like:

so if I decide to can usenet altogether what is/are the
best web forums out there?

Try this one - it's not too bad, but still one or two ****wits, as you
would expect. ****wittery comes in all shapes and sizes, you know.
http://www.diynot.com/forums/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can be
arsed with the dickheads, some can't, I can't but seem morbidly forced to
read every post in every pointless thread in particular those in the ebay
group.

I have just unsubcribed to all the affected groups and there is only this
one left in my list, so if I decide to can usenet altogether what is/are the
best web forums out there?

Like the dickheads who post crap like this

"I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with
lino.
The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of boards which
are
thinner than the rest, unnoticable before but now more obvious when you
step there.
It isn't bothering me enough to warrant doing anything drastic but I
have
wondered about 'plastering' over the depressed parts with something.
I guess it would have to be something uncrumbly, any ideas on something
that
would work well?
Best I can come up with is a bit of tarmac "

rather than think for themselves?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes
[...]

You Geoff are a prize knobhead. I had you killfiled until a short while back
when my HD conked out.
You are exactly the kind of **** who makes usenet unusable, fortunately
though a recent post highlighted exactly who you so at least you dont have
the benefit of the anonymity that most enjoy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes

You Geoff are a prize knobhead. I had you killfiled until a short while back
when my HD conked out.
You are exactly the kind of **** who makes usenet unusable, fortunately
though a recent post highlighted exactly who you so at least you dont have
the benefit of the anonymity that most enjoy.

No - I'm not the sort who asks ****wit questions where the answer would
be fairly obvious if you only thought for 30 seconds before posting

It seems that you seem to have the same effect in other NGs - possibly
why you have bad experiences with them, it's you, not them

I have never posted anonymously, I don't agree in principle. The above
is my usual email and goes with the nominal webpage www.kateda.org

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes

You Geoff are a prize knobhead. I had you killfiled until a short while
back
when my HD conked out.
You are exactly the kind of **** who makes usenet unusable, fortunately
though a recent post highlighted exactly who you so at least you dont have
the benefit of the anonymity that most enjoy.

No - I'm not the sort who asks ****wit questions where the answer would be
fairly obvious if you only thought for 30 seconds before posting

It seems that you seem to have the same effect in other NGs - possibly
why you have bad experiences with them, it's you, not them

I have never posted anonymously, I don't agree in principle. The above is
my usual email and goes with the nominal webpage www.kateda.org

Fabulous!! Maxie Raden in a frock up a tree. Fantastic!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever coughed up some electrons that declared:

Trouble is, that one persons 'best web forum' is anothers persons poison -
so the question that you pose is unanswerable really - just simply go
through the 100,000 plus news groups/forums and see what 'turns you on'.

Unbeliever

I just showed uk.d-i-y to someone who'd never seen it (or USENET) before.

I showed them a Google Groups window and a Thunderbird to NNTP session and
left them to it for an hour.

Guess which one they preferred?

Personally, USENET, IMO kicks the crap out of all web forums. Quicker to
reply, quicker to intersperse sentences between bits of quoted material,
easier (possible at all) to killfile people, threads, and other arbitray
things.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I subscribe to and run a few magic Yahoo Groups which I find far better than
web based forums or usenet groups like UK-DIY.

Let me qualify that by saying that the content and the crack around here is
first class, but its unmoderated.

I don't use groups where I have to visit a site to see whats going on & then
search through categories. The Screwfix forums are like this & I just can't
be arsed. PITA.

I like things delivered to my inbox like UK-DIY. The problem with groups
like this are that they are open to spammers & ******s who only wish to
attack others.

I don't mind a good row, but there are some twisted, sad people out there.

The Yahoo Groups I run are by & large used for sensible discussions. Any
OTT flame wars I can stop easily by moderating the posts or banning the
members - although I've only had to do that once in 8+ years.

The UK Magic usenet group was simply destroyed by one particular idiot who
just attacked every post raised. He wanted to join one of my Yahoo Groups &
I refused access. He eventually joined under another name, but as soon as
he started his crap I removed him.

I'd much prefer UK-DIY as a Yahoo Group personally, as long as it had a
strong but fair moderator running it.

Just my 2p's worth.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

One of the worst things about some (all?) of the moderated groups is the
time delay. We sometimes see useful interactions with several
back-and-forth posts within a few minutes. That would almost certainly
disappear.

As for Yahoo groups. I don't know why, but the two I use are dreadful -
only about half of the posts are in threads - even when logically they
are mostly responses to posts. I get every post sent to me - as I am
utterly sick of the difficulty of reading posts in a browser. I only
stick with them because of the interest I have in a very specific
subject. And they still get spam, some abuse, etc. (You have to join up
but I don't think there is a moderation process.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

No one seems to find the d-i-y when they search for newsgroups.

Hardly surprising. What prize **** put the hyphens in when it was first
done?

As it happens, that would be me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd much prefer UK-DIY as a Yahoo Group personally, as long as it had
a strong but fair moderator running it.

One of the worst things about some (all?) of the moderated groups is the
time delay. We sometimes see useful interactions with several
back-and-forth posts within a few minutes. That would almost certainly
disappear.

Though AFAIK in most or all moderated web forums (fora?) the moderation
takes place retrospectively; ie the mod sees something naughty and pulls
it. So no loss of immediacy there.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes

You Geoff are a prize knobhead. I had you killfiled until a short while
back
when my HD conked out.
You are exactly the kind of **** who makes usenet unusable,

No - I'm not the sort who asks ****wit questions where the answer would be
fairly obvious if you only thought for 30 seconds before posting

I take the above back.
I guessed you were simply a **** with nothing better to do but the fact that
you are motivated enough to put effort into posting what you do would
suggest otherwise.

GWS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

No one seems to find the d-i-y when they search for newsgroups.

Hardly surprising. What prize **** put the hyphens in when it was first
done?

As it happens, that would be me.

LOL!
Fair play to you for stepping up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message

I think you're being a precious little flower.

Possibly.
Some people are blessed with the gift to let everything drift over them,
others have a curse which forces them to dwell on **** (however pointless).

That said the former are often very proud of themselves as if it some sort
of skill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod coughed up some electrons that declared:

One of the worst things about some (all?) of the moderated groups is the
time delay. We sometimes see useful interactions with several
back-and-forth posts within a few minutes. That would almost certainly
disappear.

uk.legal.moderated whitelists posters of known reliability which seems to
work well. And you could have a moderator pool.

But I think uk.d-i-y works OK anyway.

As for Yahoo groups. I don't know why, but the two I use are dreadful -
only about half of the posts are in threads - even when logically they
are mostly responses to posts. I get every post sent to me - as I am
utterly sick of the difficulty of reading posts in a browser. I only
stick with them because of the interest I have in a very specific
subject. And they still get spam, some abuse, etc. (You have to join up
but I don't think there is a moderation process.)

I still say NNTP aka USENET is a better delivery mechanism than any web
forum. It is just fundamentally more flexible and efficient.

But you can still put a web gateway on the front if someone really wants it.

In fact NNTP vs Web reminds me so much of the old unix saying:

"Those who do not understand unix are doomed to re-invent it. Poorly."

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod wrote:
One of the worst things about some (all?) of the moderated groups is the
time delay. We sometimes see useful interactions with several
back-and-forth posts within a few minutes. That would almost certainly
disappear.

I help moderate an email group hosted by Yahoo. We only moderate new
members, and only for their first post. After that they have direct access.
Of course if they break any rules we have the option to put them back onto
moderation. But this is extremely rare. Most who do break a rule is
through omission and a quick guidance note prevents it happening again.
Very rarely someone joins just to spam and they simply get chucked out.
But spammers can't usually be bothered going through the hoops of joining
a moderated group.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

No one seems to find the d-i-y when they search for newsgroups.
Hardly surprising. What prize **** put the hyphens in when it was first
done?

As it happens, that would be me.

LOL!
Fair play to you for stepping up.

Yeah... must be 15+ years ago; I really can't remember why or how the
hyphens got in there but clearly with hindsight it wasn't the best move.

It was certainly pre-world-web-web and google etc, so IIRC search tools
etc weren't around as we know them, and I'm guessing it was just an
arbitrary choice which nobody ever objected to when the newsgroup went
through the normal rigmarole of voting etc.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
news
R D S wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

No one seems to find the d-i-y when they search for newsgroups.
Hardly surprising. What prize **** put the hyphens in when it was

first
done?
As it happens, that would be me.

LOL!
Fair play to you for stepping up.

Yeah... must be 15+ years ago; I really can't remember why or how the
hyphens got in there but clearly with hindsight it wasn't the best move.

It was certainly pre-world-web-web and google etc, so IIRC search tools
etc weren't around as we know them, and I'm guessing it was just an
arbitrary choice which nobody ever objected to when the newsgroup went
through the normal rigmarole of voting etc.

David

I have always wondered why.

Your post that said "As it happens, that would be me." was the best post of
the year.

Happy New Year

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes

You Geoff are a prize knobhead. I had you killfiled until a short while
back
when my HD conked out.
You are exactly the kind of **** who makes usenet unusable,

No - I'm not the sort who asks ****wit questions where the answer would
be fairly obvious if you only thought for 30 seconds before posting

I take the above back.
I guessed you were simply a **** with nothing better to do but the fact
that you are motivated enough to put effort into posting what you do would
suggest otherwise.

Don't mess with Maxie Raden!! Wow! He is a hard drinking, motorbike
riding, take no nonsense, frock wearing man!! Fantastic!!!! Yes, Maxie is
fantastic indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes

You Geoff are a prize knobhead. I had you killfiled until a short while
back
when my HD conked out.
You are exactly the kind of **** who makes usenet unusable,

No - I'm not the sort who asks ****wit questions where the answer would be
fairly obvious if you only thought for 30 seconds before posting

I take the above back.
I guessed you were simply a **** with nothing better to do but the fact that
you are motivated enough to put effort into posting what you do would
suggest otherwise.

I think you should grow up and realise that everyone is not here just to
pander to your sensitive disposition

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

I think you should grow up and realise that everyone is not here just to
pander to your sensitive disposition

Maxie, what a response!!! Fantastic!!!! What a fabulist you are. A
breath of fresh air you are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim S wrote:
[...]

u.l.m might whitelist - but I at least have not achieved that status. So
I suffer the delays to my posts - and to replies when from other
non-whitelisted people. :-(

For all its faults, I still prefer Usenet. But there are times I
question my sanity in clinging to that position.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

u.l.m might whitelist - but I at least have not achieved that status. So
I suffer the delays to my posts - and to replies when from other
non-whitelisted people. :-(

Whereas I am whitelisted. There's something to ponder for the flamers
around here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Steve Firth wrote:
Rod wrote:

u.l.m might whitelist - but I at least have not achieved that status. So
I suffer the delays to my posts - and to replies when from other
non-whitelisted people. :-(

Whereas I am whitelisted. There's something to ponder for the flamers
around here.

Just for clarity, are you suggesting that I am a flamer? Or am I reading
in too much to the position of your post?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message

u.l.m might whitelist - but I at least have not achieved that status.

Surely that's a club you don't want to be in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

R D S wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
u.l.m might whitelist - but I at least have not achieved that status.

Surely that's a club you don't want to be in.

Well I didn't say whether the achievement of that status would be on the
way up or... :-)

--
Rod

onset.

New Forum [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 10th 08 01:33 PM
I need a forum! Ann Woodworking 0 April 13th 07 09:02 AM
new to this forum gasman pete UK diy 20 April 11th 06 11:35 AM
A very odd forum Eric Electronics Repair 8 March 3rd 06 07:01 AM