Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best web forum?

I subscribe to and run a few magic Yahoo Groups which I find far better than
web based forums or usenet groups like UK-DIY.

Let me qualify that by saying that the content and the crack around here is
first class, but its unmoderated.

I don't use groups where I have to visit a site to see whats going on & then
search through categories. The Screwfix forums are like this & I just can't
be arsed. PITA.

I like things delivered to my inbox like UK-DIY. The problem with groups
like this are that they are open to spammers & ******s who only wish to
attack others.

I don't mind a good row, but there are some twisted, sad people out there.

The Yahoo Groups I run are by & large used for sensible discussions. Any
OTT flame wars I can stop easily by moderating the posts or banning the
members - although I've only had to do that once in 8+ years.

The UK Magic usenet group was simply destroyed by one particular idiot who
just attacked every post raised. He wanted to join one of my Yahoo Groups &
I refused access. He eventually joined under another name, but as soon as
he started his crap I removed him.

I'd much prefer UK-DIY as a Yahoo Group personally, as long as it had a
strong but fair moderator running it.

Just my 2p's worth.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman