Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default domestic water booster pumps

does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

TIA

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

TIA

Jim

What type of pump are you looking at? A domestic water booster pump?
What's that then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

I've installed a few, but only to supply high flow rate pressure washers, so
not a domestic environment. Having said that, they all worked a treat.

Machine Mart is the place to go, big selection.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

TIA

Jim

We have a pump attached to a small pressure vessel which feeds the
house. If the mains pressure is healthy the pump does not operate, but
if pressure falls below a set level the pump starts and boosts the
pressure. Turn the taps off and the pump pressurises the vessel again
and then cuts off.

The pump has a max load of 500W, promises 40L/mimute at 15M head, and is
self priming to 8M lift.

I'm sure I heard it called a 'hydroflor' but in this case google's not
your friend. It came from a French DIY shed, Mr Bricolage.

--
Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keith" wrote in message
jim wrote:
does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

TIA

Jim

We have a pump attached to a small pressure vessel which feeds the house.
If the mains pressure is healthy the pump does not operate, but if
pressure falls below a set level the pump starts and boosts the pressure.
Turn the taps off and the pump pressurises the vessel again and then cuts
off.

The pump has a max load of 500W, promises 40L/mimute at 15M head, and is
self priming to 8M lift.

I'm sure I heard it called a 'hydroflor' but in this case google's not
your friend. It came from a French DIY shed, Mr Bricolage.

--

You are not permitted to pump the incoming main directly. Where a pressure
increase is required you have to use a header tank supplied by the mains and

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 12 Nov, 00:00, "BigWallop" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

TIA

Jim

What type of pump are you looking at? A domestic water booster pump?
What's that then?

so far it's a pump (usually with pressure vessel attached) to boost my
(spring fed) water supply up to the top of the house to supply a new
shower room we're putting in.
Current gravity arrangements have "done" for years but now not enough
head to get water into loft tanks (for e.g) plus I want to add a
filtering system which needs a good flow & pressure to backwash it-
hence I need a pump etc.

jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 12 Nov, 05:49, Keith wrote:
jim wrote:
does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

TIA

Jim

We have a pump attached to a small pressure vessel which feeds the
house. If the mains pressure is healthy the pump does not operate, but
if pressure falls below a set level the pump starts and boosts the
pressure. Turn the taps off and the pump pressurises the vessel again
and then cuts off.

The pump has a max load of 500W, promises 40L/mimute at 15M head, and is
self priming to 8M lift.

I'm sure I heard it called a 'hydroflor' but in this case google's not
your friend. It came from a French DIY shed, Mr Bricolage.

--
Keith

Hi keith - that sounds on the right lines - is it intrusively noisy
when starting/running?
Does it kick in every time water is used - or is there a chance to get
a drink of water at midnight without waking everyone up for e.g.?!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message

does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

TIA

Jim

What type of pump are you looking at? A domestic water booster pump?
What's that then?

so far it's a pump (usually with pressure vessel attached) to boost my
(spring fed) water supply up to the top of the house to supply a new
shower room we're putting in.
Current gravity arrangements have "done" for years but now not enough
head to get water into loft tanks (for e.g) plus I want to add a
filtering system which needs a good flow & pressure to backwash it-
hence I need a pump etc.

jim

We have a spring fed system; gravity into filter and storage tank in
garage. Switched pump through filter and UV purifier (and soon water
softener) up into cisterns in loft. The pump is the one that came with
the house so must be 30 years old and is switched with various float
switches in the tanks. The head from the loft tanks is good enough for
us without a booster pump.

I've used pumps with a pressure vessel and switch to provide decent
pressure to outside taps and the best for that purpose was the Machine
Mart CBM240E. Th electronic control system has a soft start, so the
lights don't dim and the pressure changes as it switches on and off
are less objectionable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

"jim" wrote in message

[...]

aha! that sounds almost exactly like the setup i want - except I'm
thinking to do away with any high level tanks an d do hot water via a
heatbank/thermal store (via heat exchanger).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"jim" wrote in message

[...]

Ah, right. I'll leave you all to it. :-)

Thanks for making that clearer for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
On 12 Nov, 05:49, Keith wrote:
jim wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately my answers probably won't be too relevant to you, I'm in
Bulgaria and although the pump's intended to boost the mains supply,
mine's mounted at the top of a well shaft. When it kicks in the lights
dim, but the electric supply is that poor the fridge has the same
effect. When the town water supply drops I manually change over the gate
valves to the well pump. From inside, directly above the shaft, the pump
noise is quieter than the PC fan. On opening the tap you get an initial
rush of higher pressure water, maybe half a litre or so, the pressure
drops, then the pump kicks in and flow increases again. After the tap
closes the pump runs on for a second or so. The tank is roughly the same
size as a 25 litre calor gas cylinder, the pump's half that size, bolted
on top and the whole thing's in an alloy frame with rubber feet. It
would be simple to build a sound insulated enclosure, the power supply
is a standard socket, so mounting in a basement, utility room, etc.
would be easy and not too obtrusive.

Cheers

--
Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith wrote:
jim wrote:
On 12 Nov, 05:49, Keith wrote:
jim wrote:
[...]

is your pressure vessel pumped up?

We used to have one at a club I was in, and when the vessel went flat
that's just what it did. When the vessel was full you could get quite a
bit of water before the pump came on. OTOH, sometimes you'd get a
glassful and the pump would run for ages...

Jim, don't know the make. Sorry.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:10:59 -0800, jim wrote:

does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

I've fitted a couple from Pump Express, like
http://www.pumpexpress.co.uk/ped_3cr_desc.htm
http://www.pumpexpress.co.uk/Vertix_BZ.htm

The second installation I used a potable expansion vessel from Toolstation
which was £30 instead of £40 Pump Express wanted.

They're remarkably reasonably priced for the specs.

There's a noticable drop in pressure until the pump kicks in again, which
might be an issue if e.g. you're just pumping the HW to a non-thermostatic
shower, but for a whole-house cold water pump it should be OK.

Also they're not the quietest things in the world so need to be installed
carefully.

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

A backstreet vasectomy left me sterile
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 12 Nov, 22:14, YAPH wrote:
[...]

thanks to all so far - I have been told sketchy details (by a
'professional') about some special "flow controller" that apparently
means an expansion/pressure vessel is not needed - does this ring any
bells with anyone?

(it seems to me so far, that this would have to be rather special to
detect small flows (or pressure drops) correctly and call the pump in
time to recover and maintain an acceptable pressure?)

The noticeable pressure drop occurring when water is drawn and before
the pump starts worries me a bit - is that something that is going to
be hard to get away from? would a bigger pressure vessel help or just
delay the inevitable "dip and surge" in pressure?

Thinking on - as the HW would be coming straight from the heat store
heat exchanger fed by the the same pumped cold supply, I would hope
that even non-thermostatic showers should not be *unbalanced* as the
pressures of H & C should move together, (i.e. stay same relative to
each other) - a bit of a dip and then a surge - does that sound
reasonable?

all thoughts welcome
thanks again
Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:07:07 -0800 (PST), jim
wrote:

On 12 Nov, 22:14, YAPH wrote:
[...]

The Machine Mart CBM240E that I mentioned earlier doesn't have an
expansion vessel / pressure switch but has some sort of electronic
controller. Although there is some pressure variation it's less than
the expansion vessel / pressure switch types that I've used.

(it seems to me so far, that this would have to be rather special to
detect small flows (or pressure drops) correctly and call the pump in
time to recover and maintain an acceptable pressure?)

The noticeable pressure drop occurring when water is drawn and before
the pump starts worries me a bit - is that something that is going to
be hard to get away from? would a bigger pressure vessel help or just
delay the inevitable "dip and surge" in pressure?

Thinking on - as the HW would be coming straight from the heat store
heat exchanger fed by the the same pumped cold supply, I would hope
that even non-thermostatic showers should not be *unbalanced* as the
pressures of H & C should move together, (i.e. stay same relative to
each other) - a bit of a dip and then a surge - does that sound
reasonable?

Seems reasonable to me.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message

[...]

hi Bill,

I checked with machinemart technical via email and they say *none* of
their pumps come with a "soft start" setup... was it definitely from
machinemart and definitely soft start?

many thanks
Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message

[...]

I'm in the process of installing a log boiler with a rather large
thermal store, so the hot water will be heated with a heat exchanger
in the store rather than the current hot water cylinder.

I still want to use stored water in the loft though. It has the great
advantage that you still have a water supply if you have a power cut.
I'm hoping that the extra head loss due to the heat exchanger coils
and the thermostatic mixing valve won't be too great; if they are I'll
have to resort to a pumped system.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message

[...]

It definitely is the MM CBM240E. You're probably right, however, in
operation it gives the impression of a less violent start than the
standard pumps that I've used. It's probably imagination!

The manual gives the start/stop pressures as 1.6/4.8 bar which might
give you an indication of the sort of pressure changes that you will
get. I see the other small pumps with expansion vessel give 2/3.5 bar
as the switching points which would imply less pressure variation than
the electronic one. The other pumps that I've used weren't from
Machine Mart so may have had greater switching hysteresis.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

"jim" wrote in message

[...]

sounds interesting too! - I plan to install a bypass around the low
level tank, pump etc etc to hopefully leave us where we are now,
pressure wise- should it be essential to fill a kettle during a
prolonged power cut - thinking further I might just have a tap on the
incoming supply (from hillside tank) to enable cold sypply to fill a
kettle

I can't think off hand of any bigger emergency requirements that may
justify a full-on bypass setup??

Who is doing your heat store? I'm seriously looking at DPS - www.heatweb.com

Jim

Heating Domestic Water Leveled UK diy 11 July 6th 08 10:41 AM
Need source for domestic water tank for solar hot water application. carneyke Metalworking 13 March 8th 06 01:28 PM
Hot water booster [email protected] UK diy 6 January 15th 06 08:25 PM
Domestic water meter Mr Fizzion UK diy 11 September 22nd 05 10:46 PM
Mains pressure shower booster pumps Charlie UK diy 13 March 1st 05 02:24 PM