Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default domestic water booster pumps

"Bill Taylor" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 01:16:55 -0800 (PST), jim
wrote:

On 12 Nov, 00:00, "BigWallop" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

TIA

Jim

What type of pump are you looking at? A domestic water booster pump?
What's that then?

so far it's a pump (usually with pressure vessel attached) to boost my
(spring fed) water supply up to the top of the house to supply a new
shower room we're putting in.
Current gravity arrangements have "done" for years but now not enough
head to get water into loft tanks (for e.g) plus I want to add a
filtering system which needs a good flow & pressure to backwash it-
hence I need a pump etc.

jim

We have a spring fed system; gravity into filter and storage tank in
garage. Switched pump through filter and UV purifier (and soon water
softener) up into cisterns in loft. The pump is the one that came with
the house so must be 30 years old and is switched with various float
switches in the tanks. The head from the loft tanks is good enough for
us without a booster pump.

I've used pumps with a pressure vessel and switch to provide decent
pressure to outside taps and the best for that purpose was the Machine
Mart CBM240E. Th electronic control system has a soft start, so the
lights don't dim and the pressure changes as it switches on and off
are less objectionable.

Ah, right. I'll leave you all to it. :-)

Thanks for making that clearer for me.