Mr Fizzion

Default Domestic water meter

Does a water meter restrict the flow rate in any way?

I'm thinking of fitting a water meter like BES 11357 just to check my
usage to see if it would be cheaper if my bills were based on a meter.

Any disadvantages?

TIA

Mr F.

ben

Mr Fizzion wrote:
Does a water meter restrict the flow rate in any way?

I'm thinking of fitting a water meter like BES 11357 just to check my
usage to see if it would be cheaper if my bills were based on a meter.

Any disadvantages?

TIA

Mr F.

I don't think it does restrict the flow? regards to being cheaper it
depends if its installed for a single person on their own which does work
out cheaper but it would not with 2 or 3 in a household.

Also you have to take into account because you have installed a meter
you're aware of the fact that water is metered and are more apt to not
waste any.
when i lived in a single flat my water rates where £179 a year till I got
the meter installed which reduced the bill to £84 a year but where as I got
a bath 7 days a week I reduced that to 5 days a week.

You have the right to have the meter taken out before the 12 month period
from the time you had it installed, fitting the meter is free of charge.

Doctor Drivel

"ben" wrote in message
.uk...
Mr Fizzion wrote:
[...]

It is also worth taking water saving measures, like no firehose showers, and
aerated tap nozzles (champagne effect). Turning down flows on basins, etc.
This doesn't mean you go without or sink for two days of the week.

chris French

In message , ben
writes
Mr Fizzion wrote:
Does a water meter restrict the flow rate in any way?

I'm thinking of fitting a water meter like BES 11357 just to check my
usage to see if it would be cheaper if my bills were based on a meter.

Any disadvantages?

TIA

Mr F.

I don't think it does restrict the flow? regards to being cheaper it
depends if its installed for a single person on their own which does work
out cheaper but it would not with 2 or 3 in a household.

Even with 2 adults and then a bit later 2 children a water meter was
still cheaper for us.

--
Chris French

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
It is also worth taking water saving measures, like no firehose showers,
and aerated tap nozzles (champagne effect). Turning down flows on
basins, etc. This doesn't mean you go without or sink for two days of
the week.

Or simply fit one of your combis.

Hope the house you flooded after your trick with the hacksaw wasn't on a
meter.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

TheScullster

"chris French" wrote
Even with 2 adults and then a bit later 2 children a water meter was still
cheaper for us.

Seconded.
Family of four, not overly extravagent, bills about the same not
metered/metered.

Phil

ben

TheScullster wrote:
"chris French" wrote
Even with 2 adults and then a bit later 2 children a water meter was
still cheaper for us.

Seconded.
Family of four, not overly extravagent, bills about the same not
metered/metered.

Phil

Heh! the whole point of getting a meter is to halve your bill.

You state..."bills about the same not metered/metered".?

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
It is also worth taking water saving measures, like no firehose showers,
and aerated tap nozzles (champagne effect). Turning down flows on
basins, etc. This doesn't mean you go without or sink for two days of
the week.

Or simply fit one of your combis.

He is learning at last. Nah could never happen.

Andy Pandy

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:54:37 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Mr Fizzion wrote:
[...]

Even with two adults it saved me 35% or £140 / annum

Andy

Matt

"ben" wrote:

You have the right to have the meter taken out before the 12 month period
from the time you had it installed, fitting the meter is free of charge.

They don't actually remove the meter, you just revert back to the
standard water rates, BUT when you move the poor sod who buys your
house gets saddled with metered water whether they like it or not.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:13:17 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

It is also worth taking water saving measures, like no firehose showers, and
aerated tap nozzles (champagne effect). Turning down flows on basins, etc.
This doesn't mean you go without or sink for two days of the week.

In a recent episode of Tonight with Trevor McDonald, in an experiment
they managed to halve a households use of water through a few simple
changes.

The household was on a water meter. They spent £40 fitting various
water saving devices. I believe the devices paid for themselves and
started saving them money after 5 months.

They installed a plastic bag device in the cistern that took up space
and reduced the amount of water used to flush the toilet.

They also installed aerated tap nozzles and an aerated shower head.

Graham

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 12:42 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM