Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Taylor Bill Taylor is offline

Default domestic water booster pumps

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:07:07 -0800 (PST), jim
wrote:

On 12 Nov, 22:14, YAPH wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:10:59 -0800, jim wrote:
does anyone have one / have experiences with them?

I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..

I've fitted a couple from Pump Express, like
http://www.pumpexpress.co.uk/ped_3cr_desc.htm
http://www.pumpexpress.co.uk/Vertix_BZ.htm

The second installation I used a potable expansion vessel from Toolstation
which was £30 instead of £40 Pump Express wanted.

They're remarkably reasonably priced for the specs.

There's a noticable drop in pressure until the pump kicks in again, which
might be an issue if e.g. you're just pumping the HW to a non-thermostatic
shower, but for a whole-house cold water pump it should be OK.

Also they're not the quietest things in the world so need to be installed
carefully.

--
YAPHhttp://yaph.co.uk

A backstreet vasectomy left me sterile

thanks to all so far - I have been told sketchy details (by a
'professional') about some special "flow controller" that apparently
means an expansion/pressure vessel is not needed - does this ring any
bells with anyone?

The Machine Mart CBM240E that I mentioned earlier doesn't have an
expansion vessel / pressure switch but has some sort of electronic
controller. Although there is some pressure variation it's less than
the expansion vessel / pressure switch types that I've used.

(it seems to me so far, that this would have to be rather special to
detect small flows (or pressure drops) correctly and call the pump in
time to recover and maintain an acceptable pressure?)

The noticeable pressure drop occurring when water is drawn and before
the pump starts worries me a bit - is that something that is going to
be hard to get away from? would a bigger pressure vessel help or just
delay the inevitable "dip and surge" in pressure?

Thinking on - as the HW would be coming straight from the heat store
heat exchanger fed by the the same pumped cold supply, I would hope
that even non-thermostatic showers should not be *unbalanced* as the
pressures of H & C should move together, (i.e. stay same relative to
each other) - a bit of a dip and then a surge - does that sound
reasonable?

Seems reasonable to me.

Bill