Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keith[_7_] Keith[_7_] is offline

Default domestic water booster pumps

jim wrote:
On 12 Nov, 05:49, Keith wrote:
jim wrote:
does anyone have one / have experiences with them?
I need to buy and fit one so would appreciate a discuss of what is
about and best suited..
TIA
Jim

We have a pump attached to a small pressure vessel which feeds the
house. If the mains pressure is healthy the pump does not operate, but
if pressure falls below a set level the pump starts and boosts the
pressure. Turn the taps off and the pump pressurises the vessel again
and then cuts off.

The pump has a max load of 500W, promises 40L/mimute at 15M head, and is
self priming to 8M lift.

I'm sure I heard it called a 'hydroflor' but in this case google's not
your friend. It came from a French DIY shed, Mr Bricolage.

--
Keith

Hi keith - that sounds on the right lines - is it intrusively noisy
when starting/running?
Does it kick in every time water is used - or is there a chance to get
a drink of water at midnight without waking everyone up for e.g.?!!

Unfortunately my answers probably won't be too relevant to you, I'm in
Bulgaria and although the pump's intended to boost the mains supply,
mine's mounted at the top of a well shaft. When it kicks in the lights
dim, but the electric supply is that poor the fridge has the same
effect. When the town water supply drops I manually change over the gate
valves to the well pump. From inside, directly above the shaft, the pump
noise is quieter than the PC fan. On opening the tap you get an initial
rush of higher pressure water, maybe half a litre or so, the pressure
drops, then the pump kicks in and flow increases again. After the tap
closes the pump runs on for a second or so. The tank is roughly the same
size as a 25 litre calor gas cylinder, the pump's half that size, bolted
on top and the whole thing's in an alloy frame with rubber feet. It
would be simple to build a sound insulated enclosure, the power supply
is a standard socket, so mounting in a basement, utility room, etc.
would be easy and not too obtrusive.

Cheers

--
Keith