Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Elfin safety at B&Q

With regret, I visited the big B&Q barn in Hartcliffe, Bristol
yesterday and expressed interest in a Table Saw on the 'Tools' sales
floor that had been lifted down from display. It had an 'Ex-Display
Reduced' price sticker attached.

The storeperson told me she 'couldn't under any circumstances' sell
the device to me, for 'Health and Safety' reasons. When I asked what
those reasons were, she told me that some of the packaging seemed to
missing. I persisted. She insisted that "You might not have all the
instructions, and cut your finger off. Then you could sue us. It's for
your own good......"

I pointed out that, in the more than 50-odd years I'd been using
tools, powered and unpowered, I'd somehow managed to hang on to my
original ten fingers.... but she was adamant. It would not be sold.

So I left without the table saw - and the trolley-full of other stuff
I'd selected.

Would someone please tell me how we can rid ourselves of these
creatures?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bilbo*baggins wrote:

The storeperson told me she 'couldn't under any circumstances' sell
the device to me, for 'Health and Safety' reasons. When I asked what
those reasons were, she told me that some of the packaging seemed to
missing. I persisted. She insisted that "You might not have all the
instructions, and cut your finger off. Then you could sue us. It's for
your own good......"

Would someone please tell me how we can rid ourselves of these
creatures?

Unfortunately you need to get rid of other creatures first - the sort of
people who *would* sue a retailer because they'd injured themselves
having been sold them a cheap power tool devoid of instructions.

Them, and the parastic ambulance-chasing lawyers and 'claims advisors'
who encourage these people.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
bilbo*baggins wrote:

The storeperson told me she 'couldn't under any circumstances' sell
the device to me, for 'Health and Safety' reasons. When I asked what
those reasons were, she told me that some of the packaging seemed to
missing. I persisted. She insisted that "You might not have all the
instructions, and cut your finger off. Then you could sue us. It's for
your own good......"

Would someone please tell me how we can rid ourselves of these
creatures?

Unfortunately you need to get rid of other creatures first - the sort of
people who *would* sue a retailer because they'd injured themselves
having been sold them a cheap power tool devoid of instructions.

Them, and the parastic ambulance-chasing lawyers and 'claims advisors'
who encourage these people.

David

I'd have asked for a piece of paper, and wrote on it. I understand fully
that the product I have purchased (insert model number and make here) has
instruction manual (and what ever else) missing from its packaging. I waver
any liability from the seller (insert name of shop here) due to injury to my
person and / or any damages that may occur due to my use of said product.
Get the sales assistant and a stranger (customer) to sign as witnesses.

Tell her to staple it to the shop copy of the receipt, and you've got a
cheap power tool to take away.

Yes, that is drastic, but it's today's society that is causing it. On the
way out the shop, you could have given the finger. But that's optional.
:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
bilbo*baggins wrote:

[...]

But you can't expect a shop assistant (or even the manager TBH) to be
conversant enough with the law to know whether the above would actually
hold water in court, can you?. (I don't know the answer myself!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bilbo*baggins" wrote in message

[...]

Sometimes asking for the shop manger can help in these situations, as quite
possibly you could have downloaed the instructions from the internet.

No long ago I bought a Samsung Fridge. The instruction manual was full of
advice like make sure things don't fall on you when you open the doors. Not
a word about what might be sensible temperatures to run the fridge and
freezer at. .

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bilbo*baggins" wrote in message

With regret, I visited the big B&Q barn in Hartcliffe, Bristol
yesterday and expressed interest in a Table Saw on the 'Tools' sales
floor that had been lifted down from display. It had an 'Ex-Display
Reduced' price sticker attached.

The appliance needs to PAT tested before it can be sold also origninal
instructions are needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob" wrote in message

"bilbo*baggins" wrote in message

With regret, I visited the big B&Q barn in Hartcliffe, Bristol
yesterday and expressed interest in a Table Saw on the 'Tools' sales
floor that had been lifted down from display. It had an 'Ex-Display
Reduced' price sticker attached.

The appliance needs to PAT tested before it can be sold also origninal
instructions are needed.

Not if you're getting it at half price, and it's new, never been used,
straight off display. Who cares if there's a hole in box, and the
instruction book is missing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

"bilbo*baggins" wrote in message

With regret, I visited the big B&Q barn in Hartcliffe, Bristol
yesterday and expressed interest in a Table Saw on the 'Tools' sales
floor that had been lifted down from display. It had an 'Ex-Display
Reduced' price sticker attached.

The appliance needs to PAT tested before it can be sold also
origninal instructions are needed.

Rob,

Answering through Big Wallop's post.

Now this reply is as silly a B & Q's was!

Elf and safety his gone from the sublime to the ridiculous now - and from
what I read in the newspaper sometime this week, even someone from the HSE
is saying so.

Unbeliever

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Nov, 17:10, "Rob" wrote:
"bilbo*baggins" wrote in message

With regret, I visited the big B&Q barn in Hartcliffe, Bristol
yesterday and expressed interest in a Table Saw on the 'Tools' sales
floor that had been lifted down from display. It had an 'Ex-Display
Reduced' price sticker attached.

The appliance needs to PAT tested before it can be sold also origninal
instructions are needed.

--

Instructions are only ever read when all else fails
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
m...
instructions are needed.

Not if you're getting it at half price, and it's new, never been used,
straight off display. Who cares if there's a hole in box, and the
instruction book is missing?

Yes it does friend, Not all items on display are working models. Also some
dont belong to the shop conncerned
they belong to the company who do the store displays.

I agree about the hole in the box , It would not bother me but electrical
items cannot be sold without instructions
if the product has been taken out of the box the item needs to be tested for
electical compliance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Unbeliever" wrote in message

Now this reply is as silly a B & Q's was!

Elf and safety his gone from the sublime to the ridiculous now - and from
what I read in the newspaper sometime this week, even someone from the HSE
is saying so.

Unbeliever

Its not B & Q's Fault its the people who go ott on silly rules and
procedures who make
simple tasks into difficult ones.s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rob
writes

"Unbeliever" wrote in message

Now this reply is as silly a B & Q's was!

Elf and safety his gone from the sublime to the ridiculous now - and from
what I read in the newspaper sometime this week, even someone from the HSE
is saying so.

Unbeliever

Its not B & Q's Fault its the people who go ott on silly rules and
procedures who make
simple tasks into difficult ones.s

Do they check that you are literate and of sufficient intelligence to
read and understand the instructions?

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On 9 Nov, 14:30, "bilbo*baggins" wrote:
[...]

Hi
What am I missing here, why was it on sale with a reduced price if
they could not sell it to you?

Regards
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 17:48:27 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

if the product has been taken out of the box the item needs to be tested for
electical compliance.

Which law requires this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 17:48:27 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

if the product has been taken out of the box the item needs to be tested
for
electical compliance.

Which law requires this?

Not sure it is a law to be honest I worked in retail and i was told by
management that was
a requirement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 06:30:48 -0800 (PST), bilbo*baggins wrote:

[...]

Buy two (the ex-display one and a complete one). That way they can't
say you don't have the instructions. As soon as you've left the
ex-display one in your car, go back for a full refund on the complete
one. If asked for a reason:, the box is too big to fit in your boot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:51:18 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 17:48:27 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

if the product has been taken out of the box the item needs to be tested
for electical compliance.

Which law requires this?

Not sure it is a law to be honest I worked in retail and i was told by
management that was a requirement.

Which rather neatly illustrates how the Elfinsafety mythology is
spread. There is of course no such legislative requirement. What
there is is a culture based in a large part upon fiction and fed by
weak managers.

Elfinsafety, done properly, is risk based not rule based. It requires
each situation to be evaluated and sensible decisions to be made which
are appropriate to the circumstances. The obvious problem is that
this requires both intelligence, knowledge and (and herein lies the
problem) a management structure willing to delegate both
responsibility and authority.

To suggest that if a product is removed from its box to show it to a
customer it cannot be returned to the box without undergoing a
completely pointless PAT test is risible, but it happens every day.

A few years ago I was at a meeting as an outside contributor when the
subject of a particular piece of equipment was being discussed. After
an hour of detailed discussion the union rep made his only
contribution by waking up from his comfortable slumbers and saying
"Chair, elfinsafety, pass". To my amazement the Chairman immediately
said "OK, lets move on to the next item". When I said "Why?" there
was general panic amongst the members who were all going "shush". It
turned out that once the union had said "elfinsafety" no further
discussion was allowed, the subject had to go to the elfinsafety
committee which met regularly twice a year and had a 4 year backlog on
decisions. Trying to point out that the particular union rep who had
made this statement had said nothing to justify it, had the brains of
a small toad, was ostensibly employed as a cleaner and knew nothing
about the subject simply raised the panic level to he point the
Chairman abandoned the meeting rather than be seen to be discussing
elfinsafety and, heaven forbid, making decisions.

The committee by the way was a local authority one tasked with
"advising" businesses on, you have guessed it, implementing health and
safety policies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "bilbo*baggins"
saying something like:

The storeperson told me she 'couldn't under any circumstances' sell
the device to me, for 'Health and Safety' reasons. When I asked what
those reasons were, she told me that some of the packaging seemed to
missing. I persisted. She insisted that "You might not have all the
instructions, and cut your finger off. Then you could sue us. It's for
your own good......"

Obvious. She was keeping it for her boyfriend.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"A scone and tea at half past three
Makes the day a little brighter
Keep your cakes and fancy tarts
And stick them up your ****er."

**** off, diybanter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:51:18 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

Which rather neatly illustrates how the Elfinsafety mythology is
spread. There is of course no such legislative requirement. What
there is is a culture based in a large part upon fiction and fed by
weak managers.

Sure does we were told that electrical items ex display or returns could
not be resold as they had to be tested.Also if no instructions were with
the product it again could not be sold.

This was not some back street retailer but a well known chain this
information or misinformation was coming from somewhere. At head
office they had a department called risk management who were
supposed to the knowledge base and they were again giving out
that information.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rob" saying
something like:

Sure does we were told that electrical items ex display or returns could
not be resold as they had to be tested.Also if no instructions were with
the product it again could not be sold.

This was not some back street retailer but a well known chain this
information or misinformation was coming from somewhere. At head
office they had a department called risk management who were
supposed to the knowledge base and they were again giving out
that information.

Which was likely staffed by barely trained legal assistants who were
running scared of the compo culture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

al wrote:
[...]

I thought that as well. If its offered for sale, its for sale surely?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rob
writes

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:51:18 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

Which rather neatly illustrates how the Elfinsafety mythology is
spread. There is of course no such legislative requirement. What
there is is a culture based in a large part upon fiction and fed by
weak managers.

Sure does we were told that electrical items ex display or returns could
not be resold as they had to be tested.Also if no instructions were with
the product it again could not be sold.

I can certainly understand the need for some sort of testing on customer
returns because you have no idea what the customer has done to the
equipment while they have had it. I regularly buy returns from some of
the large retail outlets that come through a local auction and some have
certainly been "got at" I had a UPS recently that had the mains cabling
trapped between 2 parts of the case, shorting live to chassis, this was
picked up on an initial visual check. Ex display always worries me too
as there is also the opportunity for people to have had a go at the kit,
sometimes I believe managers will put returns on display rather than new
units so the same problem as above.

If I was running the company I think that I would insist on some form of
testing before either of the above were sold on. Probably the reason
they end up in an auction, long may it continue too!!!
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 18:38:46 +0000, Bill wrote:

Its not B & Q's Fault its the people who go ott on silly rules and
procedures who make simple tasks into difficult ones.s

And people who *would* sue B&Q if they bought the saw and cut a finger
off, saying that there where no instructions supplied with the saw.

Do they check that you are literate and of sufficient intelligence to
read and understand the instructions?

We a very nearly getting into the situation were if something isn't
specifically excluded or warned about you can sue and win no matter how
plainly stupid the acion was. Poodles and microwave ovens? I'm glad the
lawyer and the grape case got thrown out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rob wrote:
if the product has been taken out of the box the item needs to be tested
for electical compliance.

Crikey. That gives Lidl a problem. And much of B&Q's stuff too.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Trevor Smith wrote:
The appliance needs to PAT tested before it can be sold also origninal
instructions are needed.

Instructions are only ever read when all else fails

There is so much H&S drivel in instructions these days it's self defeating
as very few indeed will bother to wade through it. The few truly pertinent
points would be far more sensible.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:28:10 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I waver any liability from the seller (insert name of shop here) due to
injury to my person and / or any damages that may occur due to my use
of said product.

Waiver... B-)

But you can't expect a shop assistant (or even the manager TBH) to be
conversant enough with the law to know whether the above would actually
hold water in court, can you?. (I don't know the answer myself!)

IANAL either but that sentance gets the seller off any hooks as I read it.
If the thing caught fire causing the house to burn down and the maker said
the shop shouldn't have sold the "damaged" product...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
snipped

"A scone and tea at half past three
Makes the day a little brighter
Keep your cakes and fancy tarts
And stick them up your ****er."

**** off, diybanter.

To all health and safety conscious workers, remember this rhyme.

We used to be a happy bunch
We stopped at noon to have our lunch
A short break at 10 and again at 3
That used to be enough for me

Now I have to send a memo
Get risk assessed and show a demo
It normally takes right through the night
To get permission to go for a
pee.

I thangyoo. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 11:09:08 -0800 (PST), al wrote:

What am I missing here, why was it on sale with a reduced price if
they could not sell it to you?

"Invitation to treat". A seller marks a price. You make an offer (normally
at the marked price but it doesn't have to be), the seller can accept or
reject the offer, they are under no obligation to sell.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
Elfinsafety, done properly, is risk based not rule based. It requires
each situation to be evaluated and sensible decisions to be made which
are appropriate to the circumstances. The obvious problem is that
this requires both intelligence, knowledge and (and herein lies the
problem) a management structure willing to delegate both
responsibility and authority.

Some time ago I was filming on a large building site. We all had to have a
half morning H&S lecture - same as all of their staff - before even being
allowed in for the recce. And had to wear all their clobber - hi-vis, hard
hats, boots, gloves and safety specs. And were informed only 110v was
allowed on the site.

We filmed there on a Sunday when the site was closed...

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

There is so much H&S drivel in instructions these days it's self defeating
as very few indeed will bother to wade through it. The few truly pertinent
points would be far more sensible.

I have been employed for 30 + years and in the last 5 - 10 it seems that
as soon as some one spots a possible problem we have to have memos,
instructions, orders to cover it, no matter how remote the possibility
maybe.
We had a driver that didn't fit a roof rack on an estate car properly
and he lost the rack, complete with ladder on the M6! So rather than
bollocking him and leaving it at that an instruction went out that all
Co vehicles had to have the racks fitted permanently. So much for the
fact that the rest of us had been fitting them for years without
incident, we must now work to the lowest common denominator.

H&S MUST regard everyone as a blatant idiot.

I did a job for an H&S guy on a site a while back and he was beyond
belief. I kid you not, he warned me to be careful about going through a
door, not because there was a hazard on the other side but because there
maybe some one coming the other way. WOW I wish I had thought of that.
These people seem to live in a world of permanent death and destruction,
how did the human race survive without them??

Rant over, yes I know we need H&S but it is getting beyond a joke.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
Elfinsafety, done properly, is risk based not rule based. It requires
each situation to be evaluated and sensible decisions to be made which
are appropriate to the circumstances. The obvious problem is that
this requires both intelligence, knowledge and (and herein lies the
problem) a management structure willing to delegate both
responsibility and authority.

Some time ago I was filming on a large building site. We all had to have a
half morning H&S lecture - same as all of their staff - before even being
allowed in for the recce. And had to wear all their clobber - hi-vis, hard
hats, boots, gloves and safety specs. And were informed only 110v was
allowed on the site.

We filmed there on a Sunday when the site was closed...

That's impressive. When I went to a coal mine down under earlier this year,
it was a half-hour video, which could be basically summed up as "wear the
right togs, drink lots of water (it's hot) and don't get squashed by a 400
ton truck".

We were fully escorted though - and it certainly sharpens your sense of
traffic awareness when a bloke's driving something the size of a small
house around and the axles are level with your nose!

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
snipped

"A scone and tea at half past three
Makes the day a little brighter
Keep your cakes and fancy tarts
And stick them up your ****er."

**** off, diybanter.

LOL I like that one. :-)

We had a health and safety advisor at one of our AGM's, about four or five
years ago, and I have found the actual tape of his little speech he made at
the table afterwards. I think it says it all.

We used to be a happy bunch
We stopped at noon to have our lunch
A morning break at 10 AM
And the afternoon at 3
That used to be enough, you see

Now we have to send a memo
Get risk assessed and have a demo
I've seen a meeting last all night
To allow our staff to have a
canteen on site

Because.

We used to be a happy bunch
With a break at noon to have out lunch
A morning break at 10 AM
And the afternoon at 3
That used to be enough, you see

I thangyoo. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 1:11*am, Bill wrote:
[...]

A big part of the problem is the absence of a power balance. What the
safety man says goes, and its that simple. If there were the practical
ability to say no you got that wrong and have someone else decide, the
numerous flights of imagination they suffer would be curtailed
somewhat. OTOH the slew of ignorant objections would take up a whole
lot of time - there lies the problem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:44:32 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 11:09:08 -0800 (PST), al wrote:

What am I missing here, why was it on sale with a reduced price if
they could not sell it to you?

"Invitation to treat". A seller marks a price. You make an offer (normally
at the marked price but it doesn't have to be), the seller can accept or
reject the offer, they are under no obligation to sell.

Agreed. But a bit stupid to offer it in the first place if they weren't
going to sell. I suspect that the refusal was an individual decision by
someone who just wanted to feel important.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:42:17 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:28:10 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I waver any liability from the seller (insert name of shop here) due to
injury to my person and / or any damages that may occur due to my use
of said product.

Waiver... B-)

Waive... :-))

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:26:33 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

What am I missing here, why was it on sale with a reduced price if
they could not sell it to you?

I thought that as well. If its offered for sale, its for sale surely?

See my other post. It's an "invitation to treat", nothing more.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bill wrote:
In message , Rob writes

[...]

I have noticed that most (possibly all) electrical goods on display
stands at John Lewis have their cables cut off. (I suspect this is
portable devices and not every white good.) Pretty sure they didn't used
to do that - even fairly recently. Anwyway, that would prevent anyone
using it - and if sold accidentally I would expect the customer to
complain. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 12:42*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:28:10 +0000, Lobster wrote:
I waver any liability from the seller (insert name of shop here) due to
injury to my person and / or any damages that may occur due to my use
of said product.

Waiver... * B-)

Write 'waver' and the contract will be held void as it doesnt make
sense. If its accepted and if the tool injures you you can still sue.
However there are other issues with such a contract that make it
worthless in reality, and few managers want to enter into murky
contracts just for a quick sale of a low value item. A few might
though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:37:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 18:38:46 +0000, Bill wrote:

Its not B & Q's Fault its the people who go ott on silly rules and
procedures who make simple tasks into difficult ones.s

And people who *would* sue B&Q if they bought the saw and cut a finger
off, saying that there where no instructions supplied with the saw.

It is WERE :-)

Do they check that you are literate and of sufficient intelligence to
read and understand the instructions?

We a very nearly getting into the situation were if something isn't

It is WHERE :-)

specifically excluded or warned about you can sue and win no matter how
plainly stupid the acion was. Poodles and microwave ovens? I'm glad the
lawyer and the grape case got thrown out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod wrote:
I have noticed that most (possibly all) electrical goods on display
stands at John Lewis have their cables cut off. (I suspect this is
portable devices and not every white good.) Pretty sure they didn't used
to do that - even fairly recently. Anwyway, that would prevent anyone
using it - and if sold accidentally I would expect the customer to
complain. :-)

Also makes it less likely they will be stolen.

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule George Max Woodworking 256 September 16th 06 06:03 PM
Safety first Nick UK diy 14 April 26th 06 10:40 PM
TS Safety Tanus Woodworking 10 April 18th 06 10:02 PM
Safety First Moe Home Repair 1 December 26th 05 03:27 PM