Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Elfin safety at B&Q

On Nov 10, 1:11*am, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

There is so much H&S drivel in instructions these days it's self defeating
as very few indeed will bother to wade through it. The few truly pertinent
points would be far more sensible.

I have been employed for 30 + years and in the last 5 - 10 it seems that
as soon as some one spots a possible problem we have to have memos,
instructions, orders to cover it, no matter how remote the possibility
maybe.
We had a driver that didn't fit a roof rack on an estate car properly
and he lost the rack, complete with ladder on the M6! So rather than
bollocking him and leaving it at that an instruction went out that all
Co vehicles had to have the racks fitted permanently. So much for the
fact that the rest of us had been fitting them for years without
incident, we must now work to the lowest common denominator.

H&S MUST regard everyone as a blatant idiot.

I did a job for an H&S guy on a site a while back and he was beyond
belief. I kid you not, he warned me to be careful about going through a
door, not because there was a hazard on the other side but because there
maybe some one coming the other way. *WOW I wish I had thought of that.
These people seem to live in a world of permanent death and destruction,
how did the human race survive without them??

Rant over, yes I know we need H&S but it is getting beyond a joke.

A big part of the problem is the absence of a power balance. What the
safety man says goes, and its that simple. If there were the practical
ability to say no you got that wrong and have someone else decide, the
numerous flights of imagination they suffer would be curtailed
somewhat. OTOH the slew of ignorant objections would take up a whole
lot of time - there lies the problem.

NT