Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Elfin safety at B&Q

Bill wrote:
In message , Rob writes

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:51:18 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

Which rather neatly illustrates how the Elfinsafety mythology is
spread. There is of course no such legislative requirement. What
there is is a culture based in a large part upon fiction and fed by
weak managers.

Sure does we were told that electrical items ex display or returns could
not be resold as they had to be tested.Also if no instructions were with
the product it again could not be sold.

I can certainly understand the need for some sort of testing on customer
returns because you have no idea what the customer has done to the
equipment while they have had it. I regularly buy returns from some of
the large retail outlets that come through a local auction and some have
certainly been "got at" I had a UPS recently that had the mains cabling
trapped between 2 parts of the case, shorting live to chassis, this was
picked up on an initial visual check. Ex display always worries me too
as there is also the opportunity for people to have had a go at the kit,
sometimes I believe managers will put returns on display rather than new
units so the same problem as above.

If I was running the company I think that I would insist on some form of
testing before either of the above were sold on. Probably the reason
they end up in an auction, long may it continue too!!!

I have noticed that most (possibly all) electrical goods on display
stands at John Lewis have their cables cut off. (I suspect this is
portable devices and not every white good.) Pretty sure they didn't used
to do that - even fairly recently. Anwyway, that would prevent anyone
using it - and if sold accidentally I would expect the customer to
complain. :-)

--
Rod

onset.