Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Default Safety first

When welding the petrol tank underneath your vehicle, make sure
you put a chock under a wheel so it doesn't turn
http://tinypic.com/whli80.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Dave wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:39:49 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:

Nick wrote:

When welding the petrol tank underneath your vehicle, make sure
you put a chock under a wheel so it doesn't turn
http://tinypic.com/whli80.jpg

Braindead on two counts wood props and welding the bleeding tank in situ.

Well as you say the wood prop are a dead giveaway groan. However welding a
petrol tank (in situ or not) is a dodgy task. AFAIK it's even more dangerous
when the tank is empty - as it's the petrol vapour that's explosive. I think the
tank should be filled with water - again afaik. Amazing pic anyway.

I'd also be worried about a passing car knocking away that big
prop. And was he using an RCD on that cable?

Talking of which, I prefer using a cordless drill when drilling
in wet conditions. What do you think?

http://tinypic.com/why5j7.jpg

It's good that he is wearing eye protection

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Dave wrote:

it's the petrol vapour that's explosive. I think the
tank should be filled with water

I thought it was advisable to purge the tank thoroughly with a steam
hose before welding on it, certainly my father recalls having done so
without any issue, how many people have access to steam on tap now though?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Dave contains these words:

Well as you say the wood prop are a dead giveaway groan.

ITYM giveway.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Dave contains these words:

I think the tank should be filled with water - again afaik.

No - you can't weld to it when it's full of water. For one thing
there'll be water leaking out of the hole you're trying to weld up and
even if it weren't, on such thin sheet it'd be a bugger to weld to
something chilled by the water.

The trick is to empty the tank, fill it with water then empty it again.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

wrote:

Nick wrote:
When welding the petrol tank underneath your vehicle, make sure
you put a chock under a wheel so it doesn't turn
http://tinypic.com/whli80.jpg

Braindead on two counts wood props and welding the bleeding tank in situ.

Well as you say the wood prop are a dead giveaway groan. However welding
petrol tank (in situ or not) is a dodgy task. AFAIK it's even more
dangerous
when the tank is empty - as it's the petrol vapour that's explosive. I
think the
tank should be filled with water - again afaik.

It should be purged with nitrogen and left full of nitrogen while welding.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Nick wrote:
When welding the petrol tank underneath your vehicle, make sure
you put a chock under a wheel so it doesn't turn
http://tinypic.com/whli80.jpg

Braindead on two counts wood props and welding the bleeding tank in situ.

Well as you say the wood prop are a dead giveaway groan. However welding a
petrol tank (in situ or not) is a dodgy task. AFAIK it's even more dangerous
when the tank is empty - as it's the petrol vapour that's explosive. I think the
tank should be filled with water - again afaik. Amazing pic anyway.

Ive seen repairs like that carried out all over rural africa.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Nick wrote:
I'd also be worried about a passing car knocking away that big
prop. And was he using an RCD on that cable?

He's arc welding.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:

Talking of which, I prefer using a cordless drill when drilling
in wet conditions. What do you think?

http://tinypic.com/why5j7.jpg

It's good that he is wearing eye protection

Theres always the chance it might have been taken before the general
availbaility of codless drills - though I bet its more recent! And from
America

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Nick wrote:
When welding the petrol tank underneath your vehicle, make sure you put
a chock under a wheel so it doesn't turn
http://tinypic.com/whli80.jpg

Amazing. Where does the pic come from?

Actually, if I'd had a camera with me this afternoon I could have
provided a photo to rival this one.

I was watching this guy a few doors up, who was trying to climb onto the
roof for some reason. All he had was an ordinary extension ladder. He
stood the extending half of the ladder on top of a single-story flat
roof, from where it *just* reached the gutter (plastic, natch) at
second-story level. He climbs up carrying the bottom half of the
ladder, which he's evidentlly going to try using as a roofing ladder,
but as is - he just lays it down on the tiles with the two little
brackets which normally retain the ladder extension hanging over the
apex of the roof, like a roofing ladder but with just 1" prongs...

Of course, the bottom end of this ladder was about 4'-5' from the bottom
of the roof, and he couldn't reach it. So he removes a couple of tiles
above the guttering, to create a foothold he could stand on, in order to
bridge the gap between the gutter and his "roofing ladder".

At this point - with the bloke standing with one foot on the very top
rung of his access ladder and the other on the roof tiles, I had to
leave so I can't report on the outcome. But hopefully I won't need to
submit the story to www.darwinawards.com.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Nick writes:
When welding the petrol tank underneath your vehicle, make sure
you put a chock under a wheel so it doesn't turn
http://tinypic.com/whli80.jpg

Here's one I rather like...
http://www.cybersalt.org/cl_images/z9/l/laddertruck.jpg

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Dave
writes

Nick wrote:
When welding the petrol tank underneath your vehicle, make sure
you put a chock under a wheel so it doesn't turn
http://tinypic.com/whli80.jpg

Braindead on two counts wood props and welding the bleeding tank in situ.

Well as you say the wood prop are a dead giveaway groan. However welding a
petrol tank (in situ or not) is a dodgy task. AFAIK it's even more dangerous
when the tank is empty - as it's the petrol vapour that's explosive. I
think the
tank should be filled with water - again afaik. Amazing pic anyway.

Not in the UK, is it

There are places in this world where people pay less attention to health
and safety than over here ... life goes on

Nothing special to most of the so called 3rd world

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Ive seen repairs like that carried out all over rural africa.

Not just Africa that does things like that....

http://www.skaarpictures.com/snapshot/HighCar.html

Or even a school bus...
http://skaarpictures.com/snapshot4/target104.html

Or even a whole page of 'em...
http://www.systems4business.co.nz/safety-humour.htm

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Ive seen repairs like that carried out all over rural africa.

Not just Africa that does things like that....

http://www.skaarpictures.com/snapshot/HighCar.html

Or even a school bus...
http://skaarpictures.com/snapshot4/target104.html

Easy targets during Songkran ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from raden contains these words:

http://skaarpictures.com/snapshot4/target104.html

Easy targets during Songkran ...

Perhaps that's what the furled up tarpaulins are for.

--
Skipweasel