Arch

Default Musing about Safety Information, (it's for everyone)

I think that rcw by not having pictures or
moderators is a particularly comfortable forum for beginning or retread
turners. I sure hope so and I wish more lurkers would contribute. Any
mannerly input is a contribution and often is a welcome change from
repetition, Of course, a query or answer is not repetitious to the
poster or to newcomers and the ng welcomes them and needs them to
survive.

Some of these Q's & A's indicate that there are many simple methods &
techniques for turners that most here take for granted, but not all
beginners know about. I think it is the same with many common safety
warnings and precautions that aren't obvious to newcomers and they might
have little reason to consider.

This is RCW and some dangers and precautions are arguable or may be
discounted by the more experienced, but IMO they should not just be
discussed in depth from time to time, but best kept in mind
continuously. OK, I may be an annoying 'safety nut' or I may have
inhaled too much solvent vapor this morning, but with so many new
turners due to woodturning's rising popularity, I believe that safety
should be rcw's watchword.

As an example, I'll caution against holding hemostats and tools with
ringed handles with fingers thru the rings. Hold by the flats for
obvious reasons. The list of risks & precautions is long and arguable,
but it is important that every turner at least know about potential
dangers. How best to keep the dangers before everybody?

A suggestion to try: if we each added a one line risk or danger or
precaution, potential or actual, as a p.s. or signature to our posts, we
would keep safety continuously in mind. I'd rather rather be annoyed
than hurt and I doubt your milage varies.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Arch

You know there is something for keeping the numbers down, natural
attrition might not do it, G

Don't be musing while you turn !!!!

Did you say RETREADs, Arch them are fighting words !!!!!

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
[...]

Joe Fleming

Use a dust mask or respirator.
Use safety glasses or, better yet, a face shield.
Stay out of the line of fi CA glue splatters, bits of bark, the
whole darn piece.
Lift heavy things carefully. Avoid working bent over (chainsawing on
the ground).
ABC: Anchor, Bevel, Cut. Any other sequence invites disaster.

Bruce Barnett

Leo Van Der Loo writes:

Did you say RETREADs, Arch them are fighting words !!!!!

Please. I'm TIREd of all this in-fighting.

mac davis

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:20:09 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

[...]

good idea, Arch.. I'll try it!

* don't run with scissors *

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

====Arch! Ya gotta stop nursemaiding and mollycoddling these guys! Ya know
they're gonna do exactly what they're gonna do. Real men don't need
cautions, instructions and warnings! Witness the LDD experience!!!

Leif
Covet not thy neighbor's ass!

Ken Moon

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

===========================
Right Leif,
No need to read the directions until all else fails!!
{:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

william_b_noble

"Real" men die young - frequently of testoserone poisoning (for example,
bungee jumping with a skinny bungee, or fast
cars/women/horses/liquor/fight/whatever) - the rest of us learn from the
pain and grow old.

suggestion - if it hurts when you do it, don't do it again.

"
====Arch! Ya gotta stop nursemaiding and mollycoddling these guys! Ya
know they're gonna do exactly what they're gonna do. Real men don't need
cautions, instructions and warnings! Witness the LDD experience!!!

Leif
Covet not thy neighbor's ass!

===========================
Right Leif,
No need to read the directions until all else fails!!
{:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

mac davis

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:06:44 -0700, "william_b_noble"
wrote:

====Arch! Ya gotta stop nursemaiding and mollycoddling these guys! Ya
know they're gonna do exactly what they're gonna do. Real men don't need
cautions, instructions and warnings! Witness the LDD experience!!!

Leif
Covet not thy neighbor's ass!

===========================
Right Leif,
No need to read the directions until all else fails!!
{:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

yeah... and "he who dies with the most toys..
still dies"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Ecnerwal

In article ,
mac davis wrote:
yeah... and "he who dies with the most toys..
still dies"..

....leaves the most room for his widow/heirs to get ripped off at the
estate sale?"
Ken Grunke

Arch wrote:

A suggestion to try: if we each added a one line risk or danger or
precaution, potential or actual, as a p.s. or signature to our posts, we
would keep safety continuously in mind. I'd rather rather be annoyed
than hurt and I doubt your milage varies.

When hollowing a vessel with any tool that's even remotely liable to
have a catch, keep your face away from the tool's handle and the arm
gripping it unless you want to punch yourself in the face.
In other words, learn to hollow without having to peer inside the vessel
to see the tool. DAMHIK.

Ken Grunke

Andy McArdle

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
ups.com...
Use a dust mask or respirator.
Use safety glasses or, better yet, a face shield.
Stay out of the line of fi CA glue splatters, bits of bark, the
whole darn piece.
Lift heavy things carefully. Avoid working bent over (chainsawing on
the ground).
ABC: Anchor, Bevel, Cut. Any other sequence invites disaster.

It's corollary? CBA. Cut, Bleed, Ambulance.

- Andy

Spinning bits are NOT you're fingers' friend. O:-)

Andy McArdle

[---8---]
When hollowing a vessel with any tool that's even remotely liable to
have a catch, keep your face away from the tool's handle and the arm
gripping it unless you want to punch yourself in the face.
In other words, learn to hollow without having to peer inside the vessel
to see the tool. DAMHIK.

Change that to "when hollowing a vessel with any tool, keep your.." and I'll
agree.

I had a short (2" nubbin) round-nose 1/2" scraper with an 18" handle (I
learnt to sharpen on it) that I like to use for small spindle work.
I've always thought that with that sorta leverage catches weren't a concern.
I also had a bowl with a soft-spot just inside the lip that kept tearing out
and I thought I'll just try a quick touch of the scraper to what happens...
now I know how to put ventilators in skylights.

At least I had the sense to wait until the goose-egg on the side of my head
went down before climbing a ladder for repairs.

Did a similar thing with a table-saw, but I won't got there...

- Andy