Andy McArdle

[---8---]
When hollowing a vessel with any tool that's even remotely liable to
have a catch, keep your face away from the tool's handle and the arm
gripping it unless you want to punch yourself in the face.
In other words, learn to hollow without having to peer inside the vessel
to see the tool. DAMHIK.

Change that to "when hollowing a vessel with any tool, keep your.." and I'll
agree.

I had a short (2" nubbin) round-nose 1/2" scraper with an 18" handle (I
learnt to sharpen on it) that I like to use for small spindle work.
I've always thought that with that sorta leverage catches weren't a concern.
I also had a bowl with a soft-spot just inside the lip that kept tearing out
and I thought I'll just try a quick touch of the scraper to what happens...
now I know how to put ventilators in skylights.

At least I had the sense to wait until the goose-egg on the side of my head
went down before climbing a ladder for repairs.

Did a similar thing with a table-saw, but I won't got there...

- Andy