Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Time of year

Does anyone else really hate this time of year?

Wanted to finish an outside job today, would have been happy to work till
6:30 but couldn't see a bloody thing by 5pm.

Makes the day seem so much longer.

I reckon I've got that seasonal affective disorder thingy.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Does anyone else really hate this time of year?

Wanted to finish an outside job today, would have been happy to work till
6:30 but couldn't see a bloody thing by 5pm.

Makes the day seem so much longer.

I reckon I've got that seasonal affective disorder thingy.

Heh!

Try Aberdeen.
You might think the few hunderd miles further north is negligible in the
global scheme of things, but it makes a significant difference.

When I worked offshore, I was often on the Shell Northen platforms: North
Cormorant, Eider etc. To get there, it's one hour north from Aberdeen to
Sumburgh in Shetland by fixed-wing aircraft, then another hour north by
helicopter from Sumburgh.

If you worked a night shift in winter, you'd not see daylight for weeks.
For that matter, even on a day-shift around mid-winter, the sun would just
briefly pop up over the southern horizon.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:10:41 -0000, "Ron Lowe"
ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Does anyone else really hate this time of year?

Wanted to finish an outside job today, would have been happy to work till
6:30 but couldn't see a bloody thing by 5pm.

Makes the day seem so much longer.

Try Aberdeen.
You might think the few hunderd miles further north is negligible in the
global scheme of things, but it makes a significant difference.

Who cares about daylight in Aberdeen? Not me. I agree completely with
TMH and think we in England should stay on summertime and preferably
double summertime all year round

If people in Aberdeen dont like the amount of light available then
they should either move south or have a Scotland only GMT . What on
earth is devolution for? I can see no good reason why we in the south
have to pander to Scottish sensibilities on this one

Anna
The Grumpy old Woman

--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Does anyone else really hate this time of year?

Wanted to finish an outside job today, would have been happy to work till
6:30 but couldn't see a bloody thing by 5pm.

Makes the day seem so much longer.

I reckon I've got that seasonal affective disorder thingy.

NO. I love it. Its the only time of year I can breathe and smell things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone else really hate this time of year?

Wanted to finish an outside job today, would have been happy to work
till
6:30 but couldn't see a bloody thing by 5pm.

Try Aberdeen.

Who cares about daylight in Aberdeen? Not me. I agree completely with
TMH and think we in England should stay on summertime and preferably
double summertime all year round

Feel free.
Go on. Knock yourself out. Really.

If people in Aberdeen dont like the amount of light available

I never said I didn't like it.
I was just providing an interesting data point for comparison.

There's the plus side of long summer evenings, where we can go climbing or
other outdoor persuits till 10pm.

then
they should either move south or have a Scotland only GMT . What on
earth is devolution for? I can see no good reason why we in the south
have to pander to Scottish sensibilities on this one

I'm not asking you to.
Like I said, go right ahead.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:
Does anyone else really hate this time of year?

Wanted to finish an outside job today, would have been happy to work
till
6:30 but couldn't see a bloody thing by 5pm.

Try Aberdeen.

Who cares about daylight in Aberdeen? Not me. I agree completely with
TMH and think we in England should stay on summertime and preferably
double summertime all year round

Feel free.
Go on. Knock yourself out. Really.

If people in Aberdeen dont like the amount of light available

I never said I didn't like it.
I was just providing an interesting data point for comparison.

There's the plus side of long summer evenings, where we can go climbing
or other outdoor persuits till 10pm.

I once had the misfortune to have to work with a loud mouthed know it
all. Another work colleague and myself thought and talked on a higher
plane than his brow beating conversations. Getting a lot brassed off
with him one day, I looked at my other colleague and gave him the nod
that there was going to be something coming from me.

Changing the subject completely from his chosen one, I asked him where
does the sun rise.

'In the East', was his reply.

And where does it set?

'In the West' was his reply.

When I tried to tell him that during the summer, it rises towards the
North East and sets towards the North West. Then when I told him that in
winter, the sun rises in the South East and sets in the South West, you
could see his blood vessels thicken before his argument that this could
not be, as everyone knew that the sun came up from the East and set in
the West.

Next day I got a piece of chalk and a dust bin lid and drew a compass on
the concrete floor. This was because, before we got into conversation
about where the sun got to in the sky, I had asked him which direction
North was. He looked up to an over head crane and said that it told him
that North was that away etc. The crane had N E S and W marked on so as
to tie up with the controls hanging below it.

Talk about a neanderthal man :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Anna Kettle
writes
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:10:41 -0000, "Ron Lowe"
ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Does anyone else really hate this time of year?

Wanted to finish an outside job today, would have been happy to work till
6:30 but couldn't see a bloody thing by 5pm.

Makes the day seem so much longer.

Try Aberdeen.
You might think the few hunderd miles further north is negligible in the
global scheme of things, but it makes a significant difference.

Who cares about daylight in Aberdeen?

Don't they have northern lights in old Aberdeen ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct, 20:29, (Anna Kettle) wrote:
[...]

I've always had a major respect for you and your contribution to this
NG, but this comment is the sort of tripe that so often comes from
people south of the border.

What I really find concerning is that I have always taken you as an
intelligent person who would not come away with some emotionally
driven outpouring without verifying the accuracy of information on
which it exists. Why on earth do you think that the Scots are any
different from yourselves in their attitude towards changing the
clocks - it is an illogical anachronism from a bygone era when we
didn't have the mobile lighting that we have now. We all hate it and
Ron's email is just saying so.

Regretably I fear that the so-called Common Market would have a say if
the UK went it's own way and stuck to BST, but I can assure you that
it would get just as much support north of the border as south of it.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who cares about daylight in Aberdeen?

Don't they have northern lights in old Aberdeen ?

Don't tell the Goverment, they'll want to tax it !!!
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
[...]

Always thought Hadrian didn't build that wall high enough :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ron Lowe ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote:
Heh!

Try Aberdeen. You might think the few hunderd miles further north is
negligible in the global scheme of things, but it makes a significant
difference.

When I worked offshore, I was often on the Shell Northen platforms:
North Cormorant, Eider etc. To get there, it's one hour north from
Aberdeen to Sumburgh in Shetland by fixed-wing aircraft, then another
hour north by helicopter from Sumburgh.

If you worked a night shift in winter, you'd not see daylight for weeks.
For that matter, even on a day-shift around mid-winter, the sun would
just briefly pop up over the southern horizon.

Yehbut you get those lovely long days in the summer.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I agree with Anna. Anyway I always thought the clock change logic was
supposed to be about farming at a given latitude, not about north/south. I
liked the double summertime experiment. And the argument that this would cut
road accidents makes sense to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 3:10*am, "Ron Lowe" ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS
wrote:
[...]

Indeed. I worked on the construction of the power station at Sullom
Voe in the Shetlands islands at the end of the seventies. 28 days on,
a basic 70 hour working week, living on a construction camp and as you
said; barely saw daylight for months during the winter. Those were the
days.

--
Nige Danton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Well I agree with Anna. Anyway I always thought the clock change logic was
supposed to be about farming at a given latitude, not about north/south. I
liked the double summertime experiment. And the argument that this would cut
road accidents makes sense to me.

Nah. It was because of Childrunna.Walking to school in the dark. Getting
knocked over by Rampant Motorists, who are Toad like creetchas that rush
around going 'poop poop'.

It was more than teachers could handle simply starting school at 8pm
instead on 9pm in the summer, so they changed the clocks instead.

Famers dont do clocks. They are up at 4 am largely, out at the crack of
wdawn, and r7ound here, harvestng till 2am sometimes. Until the moisture
content goes off the acceptable level, due to dew, anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Ron Lowe ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote:
Heh!

Try Aberdeen. You might think the few hunderd miles further north is
negligible in the global scheme of things, but it makes a significant
difference.

When I worked offshore, I was often on the Shell Northen platforms:
North Cormorant, Eider etc. To get there, it's one hour north from
Aberdeen to Sumburgh in Shetland by fixed-wing aircraft, then another
hour north by helicopter from Sumburgh.

If you worked a night shift in winter, you'd not see daylight for weeks.
For that matter, even on a day-shift around mid-winter, the sun would
just briefly pop up over the southern horizon.

Yehbut you get those lovely long days in the summer.

Full of midges and still not warm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

8----

Always thought Hadrian didn't build that wall high enough :-)

There's a good bit of England north of the wall. Some of Cumberland and
most of Northumberland. The Border isn't where lots of people think it
is. The wall is fully in England.

As for (double) Summer time all year - I'm for it. Apart from anything
else it would stop us having to mess about with clocks twice a year.
(Are there any central heating controllers with good radio controlled
clocks?)

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Well I agree with Anna. Anyway I always thought the clock change logic
was supposed to be about farming at a given latitude, not about
north/south. I liked the double summertime experiment. And the
argument that this would cut road accidents makes sense to me.

Nah. It was because of Childrunna.Walking to school in the dark. Getting
knocked over by Rampant Motorists, who are Toad like creetchas that rush
around going 'poop poop'.

It was more than teachers could handle simply starting school at 8pm
instead on 9pm in the summer, so they changed the clocks instead.

Famers dont do clocks. They are up at 4 am largely, out at the crack of
wdawn, and r7ound here, harvestng till 2am sometimes. Until the moisture
content goes off the acceptable level, due to dew, anyway.

Changing the clock time does not give more daylight. It simply moves
what is available around a bit. The government want to move it to stop
children having accidents in the afternoon, when it is dark. More
rubbish, I think that it is more likely they would have accidents in the
morning dark going to school, when lots of motorists are still half
asleep, or hung over! As pointed out clock changes don't affect farmers,
after all their animals can't tell the time. The use of double Summer
time during the war was to save power in factories and houses, as it
stayed light further into the evening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
[...]

I don't usually get into these discussions but - as I seem to be turning
into a 'grumpy old man' ...

There is no 'extra' day light as pointed out above (seems to be a common
misunderstanding of something) from my somewhat oafish point of view it
would seem logical for the sun to be due South (more of less - allowing
for equation of time etc.) at around mid-day (noon, 12:00) So as we are
on the 0 meridian that means we should be using GMT (now more correctly
called UTC) as our 'local' time. Note I am NOT suggesting that Bristol
and Great Yarmouth have different time zones -although their (true) local
time does differ.

My vote would be leave the clocks on GMT 9our natural local time) and
stop all this mucking about!

Just my 2d's worth.

Nomad

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
[...]

IMHO kids are much less likely to have accidents going to school in the
dark than messing about with their mates in the dark after school.

Only slight snags with the hour being further forward would be:
still being hot when going to bed in summer
having more mornings when the ice needed scraping off the car in winter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
[...]

Eccentric "mucking about" is the British way (and long may it continue!)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

newshound wrote:
[...]

Many years ago (during the fuel crisis of the 70s) at leats one school
local to me (at the time) shifted its hours. Started very early (can't
remember the exact time) and they all left correspondingly early -
something like 14:00.

When most other schools in the area went back to conventional hours,
this school continued with its odd hours. And it was generally very
popular with staff and pupils. (It might later itself have changed but
IIRC it was still on these hours in hte late 80s.)

But as Johnnie and Chardonnay are always taken to school in the 4x4,
does dawn really matter any more? :-)

My view has always been leave the clocks but, if needed, adjust the
tiumes at which things occur. Imagine a system in which we used actual
angles of for referencing time. Can't see things like '70 degrees is
82.5 degrees because it is summer' working very well.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Well I agree with Anna. Anyway I always thought the clock change logic
was supposed to be about farming at a given latitude, not about
north/south. I liked the double summertime experiment. And the
argument that this would cut road accidents makes sense to me.

Nah. It was because of Childrunna.Walking to school in the dark. Getting
knocked over by Rampant Motorists, who are Toad like creetchas that rush
around going 'poop poop'.

There are statistically more accidents after dark at going home time than
in the morning. And altering the actual time in the north of Scotland
makes so little difference anyway for much of the winter as the days are
so short.

It was more than teachers could handle simply starting school at 8pm
instead on 9pm in the summer, so they changed the clocks instead.

Far more likely is big business and the civil service who couldn't cope
with varying work times across the land.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Yehbut you get those lovely long days in the summer.

Full of midges and still not warm.

Warm and sunny all summer long when I were a lad in Aberdeen. TV was
something to look forward to as well. ;-)

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Edgar wrote:
As for (double) Summer time all year - I'm for it. Apart from anything
else it would stop us having to mess about with clocks twice a year.
(Are there any central heating controllers with good radio controlled
clocks?)

Living in London I'd like BST as standard and double in the summer. When
working I get up before most - about 6 to take the dog out - and it's
broad daylight. I'd rather have a longer evening.

BTW, my Viessmann boiler re-set its clock automatically. Easy enough for
anything with a microprocessor. You don't need radio clocks where mains is
available.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
[...]

No, it doesn't. It simply moves us around a bit to make use of it.

The government want to move it to stop
children having accidents in the afternoon, when it is dark. More
rubbish, I think that it is more likely they would have accidents in the
morning dark going to school, when lots of motorists are still half
asleep, or hung over! As pointed out clock changes don't affect farmers,
after all their animals can't tell the time. The use of double Summer
time during the war was to save power in factories and houses, as it
stayed light further into the evening.

All of which is simply done by varying office and working hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
[...]

Exactly.

And vary active hours to suit what's going on, celestially, as man has
always done.
Just my 2d's worth.

Nomad

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:59:16 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Does anyone else really hate this time of year?

Wanted to finish an outside job today, would have been happy to work till
6:30 but couldn't see a bloody thing by 5pm.

Makes the day seem so much longer.

I reckon I've got that seasonal affective disorder thingy.

I'm a bit like that .I hate the weather and I hate Christmas with all
the hype and madness and I hate New Year with all the hy...You get the
picture ..:-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 29 Oct,
Broadback wrote:

Changing the clock time does not give more daylight. It simply moves
what is available around a bit. The government want to move it to stop
children having accidents in the afternoon, when it is dark. More
rubbish, I think that it is more likely they would have accidents in the
morning dark going to school, when lots of motorists are still half
asleep, or hung over!

Exactly! Just as was found in teh experiment in the 60s/70s.

The figures showed a drop in accidents during the experiment, not a rise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 05:58:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

It was more than teachers could handle simply starting school at 8pm
instead on 9pm in the summer, so they changed the clocks instead.

"starting" school at 8pm?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
As above, I'm in England. If we stop fiddling with the clocks we need
GMT. Most of England is west of GMT.

YES!

At last some one who understands!

Thank you - thought I was the lone voice ...

You are an insignificant minority.

The main advantage of using GMT in the winter is that its dark when you
go to work and its dark when you come home. You really shouldn't be
allowed to have daylight at home on week days!

I'm very much in favour of double summer time in the south - in the summer
there's lots of daylight before most get up. Which would be more use in
the evening - and save energy.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Well I agree with Anna. Anyway I always thought the clock change logic
was supposed to be about farming at a given latitude, not about
north/south. I liked the double summertime experiment. And the
argument that this would cut road accidents makes sense to me.

Nah. It was because of Childrunna.Walking to school in the dark. Getting
knocked over by Rampant Motorists, who are Toad like creetchas that rush
around going 'poop poop'.

There are statistically more accidents after dark at going home time than
in the morning. And altering the actual time in the north of Scotland
makes so little difference anyway for much of the winter as the days are
so short.

You are right.I got that arsey versey.

It was more than teachers could handle simply starting school at 8pm
instead on 9pm in the summer, so they changed the clocks instead.

Far more likely is big business and the civil service who couldn't cope
with varying work times across the land.

Still cant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

In article ,
"dennis@home" wrote:

The main advantage of using GMT in the winter is that its dark when you go
to work and its dark when you come home.
You really shouldn't be allowed to have daylight at home on week days!

(late in this thread but ..) I'm of a certain age, so I've seen too
many bloody winters already. [voice off: hear hear!]

My point is: however they bugger around with the clocks, SURELY it only
applies to a couple of weeks around October/November and February/March
anyway?!?

I mean: last week it was dark when I walked to work, and now it's light
(vice versa walking home). But in a couple of weeks time it will be
flipping pitch dark at BOTH times. So WHY switch the hours for the sake
of a couple of weeks? Daft, I call it.

john
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Yehbut you get those lovely long days in the summer.

Full of midges and still not warm.

Warm and sunny all summer long when I were a lad in Aberdeen. TV was
something to look forward to as well. ;-)

Why do the Scots always grumble about their lack of daylight in Winter?
Surely they know they make up for it in the Summer, all of earth has
exactly the same daylight, and dark, average 12 hours a day.
Another reason our pathetic government want to alter the clocks is to
have us on the same time as the EEC. How ever does the USA manage,
different time zones in the same country? Does not seem to have held
them back!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Broadback wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Yehbut you get those lovely long days in the summer.

Full of midges and still not warm.

Warm and sunny all summer long when I were a lad in Aberdeen. TV was
something to look forward to as well. ;-)

Why do the Scots always grumble about their lack of daylight in Winter?
Surely they know they make up for it in the Summer, all of earth has
exactly the same daylight, and dark, average 12 hours a day.
Another reason our pathetic government want to alter the clocks is to
have us on the same time as the EEC. How ever does the USA manage,
different time zones in the same country? Does not seem to have held
them back!

In the same country? In the same bloomin' state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana

--
Rod

onset.