Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating - That time of the year again...

I'm looking for clues on where to look with a non-working central heating
system...

The house has:

Oil-fired burner/boiler
Hot water tank
Control box for hot water/ central heating - hot water is working fine,
boiler fires up etc etc, central heating has been turned off over summer
Single room thermostat - set on high...
TRVs on each radiator - set on high...
Have bled all radiators

It *feels* like there's no signal to to boiler to say give me heat - (tho,
as I say, works for hot water)

Should there be a 3-way control valve (over and above the TRVs) somewhere
that I should be able to see?

Help...

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slark wrote:

I'm looking for clues on where to look with a non-working central heating
system...

The house has:

Oil-fired burner/boiler
Hot water tank
Control box for hot water/ central heating - hot water is working fine,
boiler fires up etc etc, central heating has been turned off over summer
Single room thermostat - set on high...
TRVs on each radiator - set on high...
Have bled all radiators

It *feels* like there's no signal to to boiler to say give me heat - (tho,
as I say, works for hot water)

Should there be a 3-way control valve (over and above the TRVs) somewhere
that I should be able to see?

Help...

Graham

if its firing up on HW sounds as if the pump is stuck for the CH, if
all revelvant lights say its coming on. Give the pump a nice slap with
a small hammer, mines done it a few times after being stood over the
summer months, nowadays I run it for a bit at least once a month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
if its firing up on HW sounds as if the pump is stuck for the CH, if
all revelvant lights say its coming on. Give the pump a nice slap with
a small hammer, mines done it a few times after being stood over the
summer months, nowadays I run it for a bit at least once a month.

Just done that - and... it WORKS!

Thank you - and lesson learnt...

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slark wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
if its firing up on HW sounds as if the pump is stuck for the CH, if
all revelvant lights say its coming on. Give the pump a nice slap with
a small hammer, mines done it a few times after being stood over the
summer months, nowadays I run it for a bit at least once a month.

Just done that - and... it WORKS!

Thank you - and lesson learnt...

Graham

No Probs :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Staffbull writes

Slark wrote:

[...]

Or you undo the chrome screw on the back and rotate the shaft with an
electrical screwdriver or something. Have a towel handy to collect the
drips

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message . com,
Staffbull writes

Slark wrote:

[...]

Aaah, that must be the softly,softly approach !!!, instead of my "if in
doubt, give it a clout" :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Staffbull writes

raden wrote:
In message . com,
Staffbull writes

Slark wrote:

[...]

I was actually going to tell you off using exactly the same phrase, as
the shaft is ceramic and easily broken

then I thought, WTF, it's what I would do first anyway

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message . com,
Staffbull writes

raden wrote:
In message . com,
Staffbull writes

Slark wrote:

[...]

I thought I was being cautious anyhoo " a little hammer" :-) and a slap
instead of belt it. All fully qualified technical terms !!!