Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Time of year

The Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:42:40 +0000, Broadback wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
newshound wrote:
Well I agree with Anna. Anyway I always thought the clock change logic
was supposed to be about farming at a given latitude, not about
north/south. I liked the double summertime experiment. And the
argument that this would cut road accidents makes sense to me.

Nah. It was because of Childrunna.Walking to school in the dark.
Getting knocked over by Rampant Motorists, who are Toad like creetchas
that rush around going 'poop poop'.

It was more than teachers could handle simply starting school at 8pm
instead on 9pm in the summer, so they changed the clocks instead.

Famers dont do clocks. They are up at 4 am largely, out at the crack of
wdawn, and r7ound here, harvestng till 2am sometimes. Until the
moisture content goes off the acceptable level, due to dew, anyway.

Changing the clock time does not give more daylight. It simply moves
what is available around a bit. The government want to move it to stop
children having accidents in the afternoon, when it is dark. More
rubbish, I think that it is more likely they would have accidents in the
morning dark going to school, when lots of motorists are still half
asleep, or hung over! As pointed out clock changes don't affect farmers,
after all their animals can't tell the time. The use of double Summer
time during the war was to save power in factories and houses, as it
stayed light further into the evening.

I don't usually get into these discussions but - as I seem to be turning
into a 'grumpy old man' ...

There is no 'extra' day light as pointed out above (seems to be a common
misunderstanding of something) from my somewhat oafish point of view it
would seem logical for the sun to be due South (more of less - allowing
for equation of time etc.) at around mid-day (noon, 12:00) So as we are
on the 0 meridian that means we should be using GMT (now more correctly
called UTC) as our 'local' time. Note I am NOT suggesting that Bristol
and Great Yarmouth have different time zones -although their (true) local
time does differ.

My vote would be leave the clocks on GMT 9our natural local time) and
stop all this mucking about!

Exactly.

And vary active hours to suit what's going on, celestially, as man has
always done.
Just my 2d's worth.

Nomad