Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whats that stuff...

in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat the
excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat
the excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

Sponge

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RW" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat
the excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

Sponge

Nah! man,Tis like a thick bed of blotting paper...just can't think what to
replace it with? as getting an original would be impossible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
"George" wrote in message
om...
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat
the excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

Sponge

Folded up kitchen paper???
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chewbacca" wrote in message
RW wrote:
"George" wrote in message
om...
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat
the excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

Sponge

Folded up kitchen paper???

What about MDF...would this work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

It's usually a thick felt pad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

What about MDF...would this work?

Doesn't act as a great sponge IME (though it doesn't like prolonged
exposure to water)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:44:43 GMT, George wrote:
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat the
excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

cheers.

can you just soak the old ink out of it, rinse it a few times
then dry it out and replace it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:44:43 GMT, George wrote:
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat
the
excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

cheers.

can you just soak the old ink out of it, rinse it a few times
then dry it out and replace it?

No that doesn't work,tried that years ago on an old olivetti,turns out when
you wash it and dry it out its loses its thickness and absorbancy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"pete" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:44:43 GMT, George wrote:
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat
the
excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

cheers.

can you just soak the old ink out of it, rinse it a few times
then dry it out and replace it?

No that doesn't work,tried that years ago on an old olivetti,turns out
when you wash it and dry it out its loses its thickness and absorbancy.

Isn't it poor technology - You pay a fortune for a bit of felt impregnated
with ink - the cartridge - and when you clean the heads most of it ends up
as waste. Laser printers are getting cheaper. Anyone tried a £100 laser
yet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...

"pete" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:44:43 GMT, George wrote:
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat
the
excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

cheers.

can you just soak the old ink out of it, rinse it a few times
then dry it out and replace it?

No that doesn't work,tried that years ago on an old olivetti,turns out
when you wash it and dry it out its loses its thickness and absorbancy.

Isn't it poor technology - You pay a fortune for a bit of felt impregnated
with ink - the cartridge - and when you clean the heads most of it ends up
as waste. Laser printers are getting cheaper. Anyone tried a £100 laser
yet?

The printer I have is still giving me good results...I thought I'd just give
it a cleaning service from stripping it down to reassembling..
If you want to talk about laser printers please start your own thread about
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"RW" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste mat
the excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

Sponge

Nah! man,Tis like a thick bed of blotting paper...just can't think what to
replace it with? as getting an original would be impossible.

You could just try thick blotting paper. However, open cell polyethylene
foam would work and it can be washed out next time.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Anyone tried a £100 laser yet?

Yes, HP CP1215 colour printer. Print quality is OK but lower resolution
than even modest inkjets. The same rip-off model is applied to the toner
cartridges as to inkjet cartridges, it costs £200 at discount prices to
replace the cartridges - instore at Staples they cost £320. It makes no
sense to me to save money on the printer when the cartidges cost three
times the amount paid for it. Also the cartridges are pathetic, offering
1,400 pages at 5% coverage.

I do a lot of high volume colour printing for my job, and had to think
carefully about which printers to buy. I used to get Xerox Phaser 850s
which cost a couple of thousand pounds each, but they came with free
black refills for life. Then Xerox dropped the free ink offer and
reduced the price of the printers to a few hundred quid. I currently
have a mix of 850s and 8200s. I still get the free ink for the 850
making them the economical workhorse printers. The 8200s are higher
resolution and better quality print so I use those for the magazine
quality output.

These printers aren't lasers they are solid-ink printers which melt wax
blocks then apply them from an inkjet type head. The inks are sprayed
onto a drum then pressed onto the page which makes the effective
resolution higher than a laser since all inks are overprinted and mixed
on the drum. The basic resolution is 1200dpi, enhanced photo quality is
2400dpi but CMYK inks are all printed on top of each other leading to an
effective resolution of 7200dpi compared to the 300-600 dpi of a cheap
laser printer. Best of all is the price. A set of refills capable of
printing 20,000 pages at full coverage costs me £185.

The printers can be bought for between £50 and £200 secondhand, with a
long life left on them. Service manuals are available on the web and I
found it cheaper to buy another printer from eBay and cannibalise it for
spares than to pay Xerox to make repairs. In the time I've used the
printers (the last six years) I've needed to replace one print head, one
wax-melting unit and one drum heater. All simple jobs for anyone with a
Torx driver set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:55:51 +0000, John wrote:

"George" wrote in message
om...

"pete" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:44:43 GMT, George wrote:
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste
mat the
excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

cheers.

can you just soak the old ink out of it, rinse it a few times then dry
it out and replace it?

No that doesn't work,tried that years ago on an old olivetti,turns out
when you wash it and dry it out its loses its thickness and absorbancy.

Isn't it poor technology - You pay a fortune for a bit of felt
impregnated with ink - the cartridge - and when you clean the heads most
of it ends up as waste. Laser printers are getting cheaper. Anyone tried
a £100 laser yet?

I've been using a Samsung ML-1210 for several years now. Only for
domestic purposes, not as an everyday business machine. It's proved to be
very good! One of my reasons for getting it is that I've had enough of
inkjets getting clogged and having to scrap cartridges (or even complete
machines!) because of it. Another reason is that Samsung machines are
well supported in linux. :-) It's replacement appears to be the ML-2010
and that's what I'll probably get when my current cartridge runs out -
it's about the same price as just replacing the cartridge.

I wouldn't recommend these machines for photos. They are very good for
text & line diagrams though.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

If you want to talk about laser printers please start your own thread about
them.

1. Thread drift is to be expected.

2. This isn't your thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mick" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:55:51 +0000, John wrote:

"George" wrote in message
om...

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Seconded. I too have an ML-1210. It's brilliant for text printing (although
only single sided).

I have a Canon Pixma iP6700D for photos, which quite recently replaced the
old Epson Stylus Photo 1200. That was becoming a right pain as it needed
repeated head cleanings every time I used it. The only feature I'll miss is
its A3 ability, although TBH I only ever used that about twice in the
several years I had it. Before dumping it I taught it a lesson by taking it
all to pieces. That waste ink pad in the base contained a remarkable
quantity of ink, and took up most of the base of the printer. Being an A3
the base was pretty big too.

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

If you want to talk about laser printers please start your own
thread about them.

1. Thread drift is to be expected.

2. This isn't your thread.

(It is actually)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:41:23 +0000, mick wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:55:51 +0000, John wrote:

"George" wrote in message
om...

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

You can get cheap re-fills for the ML-1210 which makes it a very
economical printer. Re-filling is easy if you use a small domestic funnel
to get the powder in. I've been using mine for about five years. I can't
find a bottle of toner at the moment but I'm pretty sure this is the one
I've been using:

http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat...LED_TONER.html

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:06:03 +0000, Cicero wrote:

snip

========================================= You can get cheap re-fills for
the ML-1210 which makes it a very economical printer. Re-filling is easy
if you use a small domestic funnel to get the powder in. I've been using
mine for about five years. I can't find a bottle of toner at the moment
but I'm pretty sure this is the one I've been using:

http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat...LED_TONER.html

Thanks. :-)
I'll have to try that... At least, if it doesn't work, it's not too
important as I'd resigned myself to having to buy a new machine!

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Filtering everything posted from googlegroups to kill spam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news

http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat...LED_TONER.html

They have interesting prices.. I can buy original Samsung toner for my
clp300 for the same they charge for the compatibles.
Maybe cheaper when Staples have a 15% off for two or more carts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

2. This isn't your thread.

(It is actually)

Nobody owns it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

2. This isn't your thread.

(It is actually)

Nobody owns it.

True,but theres a prat going by the initials GC making himself known.

Did I say I owned it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 1:03*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
George wrote:
What about MDF...would this work?

Doesn't act as a great sponge IME (though it doesn't like prolonged
exposure to water)

Whatever you use has to be rotproof, so natural fibre felt and paper
are out. Microfibre cloth maybe.

Re low cost lasers, they're surely the way to go if you can do without
colour. I'd have to be mad to go back to an inkjet, what a PITA
technology they were. Reminds me... I still remember being seriously
impressed when seeing a daisy wheel that double printed to give bold!
Anyone remember 7 pin dot matrixes with no descenders?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
What about MDF...would this work?

Doesn't act as a great sponge IME (though it doesn't like prolonged
exposure to water)

Whatever you use has to be rotproof, so natural fibre felt and paper
are out. Microfibre cloth maybe.

Re low cost lasers, they're surely the way to go if you can do without
colour. I'd have to be mad to go back to an inkjet, what a PITA
technology they were. Reminds me... I still remember being seriously
impressed when seeing a daisy wheel that double printed to give bold!
Anyone remember 7 pin dot matrixes with no descenders?

NT

I long for a 7-pin dot matrix!
Seriously, I have a real world application which I can't satisfy with
any printer technolgy I can find at the moment.
In competition diving (springboard and highboard not sub-aqua) we use
an electronic score recording system in which the judges enter their
scores on wireless units and they are collated on a central PC.
Obviously the central PC becomes a critical failure node in that if
anything were to happen to it during the event the scores might be
lost. We do things to mitigate against that and ultimately someone
ends up copying the raw awards from the screen onto a piece of paper.
Back in the days of line printers we could simply have spat a line to
the printer each time a diver dived and we'd have had a safe paper
copy. Now we have inkjet and laserjet page printers I've not been
able to find a windows based line driver at all.
So there's something to be said for old technolgy if it happens to
meet the requirement!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

George wrote:
[...]

You made me think about a label printer like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-QL-500-printer-thermal-capacity/dp/B00067SC66

Looks like it would do what you need - or close.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
What about MDF...would this work?

Doesn't act as a great sponge IME (though it doesn't like prolonged
exposure to water)

Whatever you use has to be rotproof, so natural fibre felt and paper
are out. Microfibre cloth maybe.

Re low cost lasers, they're surely the way to go if you can do without
colour. I'd have to be mad to go back to an inkjet, what a PITA
technology they were. Reminds me... I still remember being seriously
impressed when seeing a daisy wheel that double printed to give bold!
Anyone remember 7 pin dot matrixes with no descenders?

NT

I long for a 7-pin dot matrix!
Seriously, I have a real world application which I can't satisfy with
any printer technolgy I can find at the moment.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/117712

Why not print to a file using a line printer driver in windows.
Put the file on a usb stick or two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

George wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for that idea, I use one of those at work but it had never
occured to me to use one in that way, it's something I'll certainly
explore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
[...]

That's exactly what we do with the slight tweak that if we have enough
computers around we run the ticker-tape application on a seperate
machine. The recording machine spits the scores out as a UDP packet
and all machines on the network can listen and record as they wish.
That gives quite a lot of redundancy especially as laptops don't die
if the power disappears. I always save the backup file to USB stick
immediately the competition is over but the real danger time is during
the competition itself when you really can't save the file off.
The rules of the sport, which pre-date the use of computers, demand
that the awards are recorded on paper contemporaneously and there's
something about having a real paper copy which makes you feel so much
better than if you're told not to worry the computer will keep a
record!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:16:23 -0700 (PDT), Calvin wrote:

I long for a 7-pin dot matrix!

Does it have to 7 pin? 9 pin are still available but cheap they are not
compared to inkjets. A quick google in the UK on dot matrix 9 pin
produced:

http://www.printerland.co.uk/acatalog/9_Pin.html

Which shows a range of what is available.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

Did I say I owned it?

You implied it, idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:31:39 +0000 (GMT) Dave Liquorice wrote :
Does it have to 7 pin? 9 pin are still available but cheap they are
not compared to inkjets. A quick google in the UK on dot matrix 9 pin
produced:

http://www.printerland.co.uk/acatalog/9_Pin.html

Which shows a range of what is available.

Before leaving the UK I sold our trusty Epson LQ570 24-pin on eBay for a
whole £2. We had it for printing continuous labels.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' www.superbeam.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

Did I say I owned it?

You implied it, idiot.

You left this out...

True,but theres a prat going by the initials GC making himself known.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:16:23 -0700 (PDT), Calvin wrote:

I long for a 7-pin dot matrix!

Does it have to 7 pin? 9 pin are still available but cheap they are not
compared to inkjets. A quick google in the UK on dot matrix 9 pin
produced:

http://www.printerland.co.uk/acatalog/9_Pin.html

Which shows a range of what is available.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I acquired a Panasonic KX-P1131 24 pin multimode printer when my local GP
moved to a "Health Centre" (spit). An excellent piece of kit using either
tractor paper or single sheets. The print cartridge costs a tenner & lasts
for years (literally) and are supposed to print something in the region of 6
million characters.

I would have thought there would be loads of 'em floating about given that
they were standard printers used by the NHS.

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:32:51 +1100, Tony Bryer wrote:

Before leaving the UK I sold our trusty Epson LQ570 24-pin on eBay for a
whole £2. We had it for printing continuous labels.

I tried to eBay an LQ1050 24pin not long ago, then freecycle, no takers
ended up at the dump. B-(

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 9:33*am, "Don" wrote:
[...]

Any 9 pin dot matrix will work with the same commands fed to a 7 pin.
The only difference is the internally stored font. Might require
setting the DIP switches correctly, but theyre simple enough that even
with no manual you can quickly figure it out.

Could you send your data line by line to another hand coded app (eg in
basic or C) which does nothing but get the line of data and spit it
out to the parallel port, adding a return & linefeed character at the
end. It would be elementary to write that in Basic. IOW bypass any
windows printer driver entirely.

DM ribbon carts can be modded to reink themselves over and over again.
Felt pad where the ribbon's pulled past, hole in top of cart over pad,
and 50/50 paraffin plus ink, eg endorsing or printer's ink. A roll of
paper would probably be easier to get than fanfold.

9 pin machines are much more robust than 24 pinners, if the historic
letter quality is ok.

The hammering of a DM churning its way through a big job is one thing
I dont miss.

NT

Whats this then? The Medway Handyman UK diy 32 September 8th 13 05:18 PM
FS in Alachua/Gainesville FL: huge volume shop stuff, tools supplieshardwares, other "guy stuff", 1, some, or all - PICKUP preferred dave Woodworking 0 January 30th 07 04:31 PM
Whats best to use svmsbb UK diy 4 January 7th 07 01:14 PM
Whats the best way to... R.P.McMurphy UK diy 2 September 21st 06 06:48 PM
Whats this stuff then ? tzd3sw UK diy 6 September 30th 03 08:30 PM