Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Whats that stuff...

Calvin wrote:
wrote:

On Oct 26, 1:03�pm, Andy Burns wrote:
George wrote:
What about MDF...would this work?
Doesn't act as a great sponge IME (though it doesn't like prolonged
exposure to water)

Whatever you use has to be rotproof, so natural fibre felt and paper
are out. Microfibre cloth maybe.

Re low cost lasers, they're surely the way to go if you can do without
colour. I'd have to be mad to go back to an inkjet, what a PITA
technology they were. Reminds me... I still remember being seriously
impressed when seeing a daisy wheel that double printed to give bold!
Anyone remember 7 pin dot matrixes with no descenders?

NT

I long for a 7-pin dot matrix!
Seriously, I have a real world application which I can't satisfy with
any printer technolgy I can find at the moment.
In competition diving (springboard and highboard not sub-aqua) we use
an electronic score recording system in which the judges enter their
scores on wireless units and they are collated on a central PC.
Obviously the central PC becomes a critical failure node in that if
anything were to happen to it during the event the scores might be
lost. We do things to mitigate against that and ultimately someone
ends up copying the raw awards from the screen onto a piece of paper.
Back in the days of line printers we could simply have spat a line to
the printer each time a diver dived and we'd have had a safe paper
copy. Now we have inkjet and laserjet page printers I've not been
able to find a windows based line driver at all.
So there's something to be said for old technolgy if it happens to
meet the requirement!

You made me think about a label printer like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-QL-500-printer-thermal-capacity/dp/B00067SC66

Looks like it would do what you need - or close.

--
Rod

onset.