Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Whats that stuff...

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:41:23 +0000, mick wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:55:51 +0000, John wrote:

"George" wrote in message
om...

"pete" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:44:43 GMT, George wrote:
in a Ink-Jet printers ink tank dump called?

Stripped and cleaned the printer down but want to replace the waste
mat the
excess ink soaks into but don't know what its called.

cheers.

can you just soak the old ink out of it, rinse it a few times then dry
it out and replace it?

No that doesn't work,tried that years ago on an old olivetti,turns out
when you wash it and dry it out its loses its thickness and absorbancy.

Isn't it poor technology - You pay a fortune for a bit of felt
impregnated with ink - the cartridge - and when you clean the heads most
of it ends up as waste. Laser printers are getting cheaper. Anyone tried
a £100 laser yet?

I've been using a Samsung ML-1210 for several years now. Only for
domestic purposes, not as an everyday business machine. It's proved to be
very good! One of my reasons for getting it is that I've had enough of
inkjets getting clogged and having to scrap cartridges (or even complete
machines!) because of it. Another reason is that Samsung machines are
well supported in linux. :-) It's replacement appears to be the ML-2010
and that's what I'll probably get when my current cartridge runs out -
it's about the same price as just replacing the cartridge.

I wouldn't recommend these machines for photos. They are very good for
text & line diagrams though.

You can get cheap re-fills for the ML-1210 which makes it a very
economical printer. Re-filling is easy if you use a small domestic funnel
to get the powder in. I've been using mine for about five years. I can't
find a bottle of toner at the moment but I'm pretty sure this is the one
I've been using:

http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat...LED_TONER.html

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux