Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Bad neighbours and cctv question

In article ,
George wrote:
Shouldn't that be...the scan lines rather than the image size? ie 420
lines will give a poor image as opposed to 625 lines will give you TV
quality

Not so - all the very worst quality early VHS camcorders do 625 lines.
Producing dreadful low res pictures. You need a good frequency response as
well if talking broadcast analogue - up to about 5.5 mHz.

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Micky Savage" wrote in message

"Ariadne" wrote in message
On 28 Aug, 13:03, "BRAD" wrote:
I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.

It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.

Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.

Can I sue our local authority and private firms who have cctv for
filming me
then?
Seems very one sided (again).
Brad

Are you a specific target?

Have a go you will not get any where.

Micky.

There is an women down my mothers road who has had a camera up for about a
year now that looks straight down the row of gardens at peoples children and
people coming in and out of there houses.

In short the council didnt want to know anything about it nor did the
constabulary.

Gordy

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
George wrote:
Shouldn't that be...the scan lines rather than the image size? ie 420
lines will give a poor image as opposed to 625 lines will give you TV
quality

Not so - all the very worst quality early VHS camcorders do 625 lines.
Producing dreadful low res pictures. You need a good frequency response as
well if talking broadcast analogue - up to about 5.5 mHz.

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Yes well,you're talking Svhs there ie luminance carrier. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

PCPaul wrote:

From my reading around it looked like you need an infeasibly good image
to be allowed to use it in court (for example - head and shoulders
filling 50% of the frame). I'm no expert though - that may be paranoia..

There's a Home Office guidance document on the use of CCTV in evidence.
I'm not sure it it's public domain thought. I think it is because it was
intended for the guidance of CCTV operators in shopping malls as well as
building security.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Micky Savage wrote:

Now your just talking balls.
WHAT IS A FULL FRAME dvr?
GOT SOME CAMERA'S THIS MORNING SONY CHIPPED.
540 TVL AND NOT A TUBE IN SIGHT.
oh yes you are,but your not in sight.

Go and look at C.C.T.V DIRECTS web site. let me know what a full frame dvr
is.

Can you repeat that, biut this time in English?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But surely you can have image enhancing software? I'd seen it on CIS -
they take standard CCTV footage and manage to read a car numberplate miles
away - so small you can barely tell what make the car is.

[Thinks] They couldn't be lying, could they?

It always strikes me when watching "Bladerunner" that they couldn't have
come up with a clunkier image enhancement process if they had tried. And
even among policemen (or is that especially among policemen?) there are
those that point at some crappy sub-VHS quality video and say "can you
enhance that?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Ariadne" wrote in message
On 28 Aug, 13:03, "BRAD" wrote:
[...]

Hi Gordy,

Nothing will happen, until there are complaints.
I personally don't install cameras that look any where only at the
customer's property including their car. I also don't install ptz cameras on
domestics.
When I do install cameras I take photos of there positions, upon
installation.
I have had to show some of my neighbours the direction of mine as they did
not like my i.r lighting at night.

One thing c.c.t.v.is here to stay.

Kind Regards.

Micky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28 Aug, 12:29, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Micky Savage wrote:
If you care to ring me I would gladly give you any advice you need.

"Give" eh? Absolutely Free with no obligation, eh?

Why not? I give free advice regularly - provided that the person
indemnifies me first. I find that doing so pays off in the long run as
word of mouth recommendations eventually gets me business. Any form of
pressure selling or even suggestin a sale in such a situation is a
waste of time - the offer to buy has to come from the person being
advised voluntarily. Give the man the benefit of the doubt why not?
Chris G
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Gordy" wrote in message

There is an women down my mothers road who has had a camera up for about a
year now that looks straight down the row of gardens at peoples children
and people coming in and out of there houses.

In short the council didnt want to know anything about it nor did the
constabulary.

They won't be, there is no law to stop a householder having a CCTV pointing
at the street.
There is no law requiring you to register it.
There is no law requiring you to put up warning stickers.

They might be interested if you fit a 20:1 hdtv camera on a pan and tilt
mount so you can spy into bedrooms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Blah" wrote in message

One of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...21498&DOY=28m8

Nah, one of these and a cheap disk..
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...nce&doy= 28m8

Up to 4 of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...0CCD%20Cameras

Plug into home pc (which must be switched on 24/7!).

No need for a pc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

Unfortunately a decent DVR doesn't come cheap I've used things like
this:

http://tinyurl.com/6y72yt

That is hardly better than the £180 maplin one
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?... =dvr&doy=28m8

It may cost £1300 but it can only record four channels so its not much good
for unattended recording.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...earchTop&T =d
vr&doy=28m8

It may cost £1300 but it can only record four channels so its not much

good
for unattended recording.

Says records upto 16 cams in the blog and no HD installed Dennis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

But surely you can have image enhancing software? I'd seen it on CIS -
they take standard CCTV footage and manage to read a car numberplate miles
away - so small you can barely tell what make the car is.

What do you expect from the Co-op?
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Sarah" saying
something like:

So knowing nothing about cctv, I thought you guys would know ?

Do I need something that connects to my pc or tv ? also would need to store
the footage maybe on a hard disc or a blank dvd ?

I got a cheapy 4-channel PCI input card and a couple of cheapy Chinese
cams from ebay a couple of years ago. The vid quality was ok, not HD by
any means, but ok for seeing people coming and going from my front yard.
I bought a NOS store cam which might have better definition, but the
main thing is it can take power zooms and all that if I want to add them
- black and white, but you don't particularly need colour if it's ID-ing
you want and it's zoomed in close enough.
The store cam was pretty cheap - around 20pounds, iirc. All I need now
is an external housing and they're cheap enough.

All this is feeding into a spare PC - but it's not a great load on a
modern box and I run a motion-sensing programme so the disk isn't loaded
with empty crap video.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Micky Savage wrote:
If you care to ring me I would gladly give you any advice you need.

"Give" eh? Absolutely Free with no obligation, eh?

Why not? I give free advice regularly - provided that the person
indemnifies me first. I find that doing so pays off in the long run as
word of mouth recommendations eventually gets me business. Any form of
pressure selling or even suggestin a sale in such a situation is a
waste of time - the offer to buy has to come from the person being
advised voluntarily. Give the man the benefit of the doubt why not?
Chris G

Hi Chris .

Thanks Man.

advise costs nothing.I am lucky I don't have bad neighbours.

Kind Regards

Micky

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

George wrote:

Dennis the pillock wrote:

Unfortunately a decent DVR doesn't come cheap I've used things like
this:

http://tinyurl.com/6y72yt

That is hardly better than the £180 maplin one

Cock.

The DVR I referred to records PAL video at 720x576 at 25fps from 16
cameras simultaneously. The Maplin offering records at a maximum of
25fps but that is divided by the number of cameras - four cameras means
it records at 6.25 frames per second.

Maplin also appear to have fouled up the specification, the Swann DVR is
not a 720x576 recorder. According to Swann it offers PAL: 320 x 136 and
640 x 272 recording.

The Maximum HDD for the recorder I referred to is 2TB, the Swann is a
maximum of 250GB. The Swann uses what can charitably be referred to as
overcompressed M-JPEG for recording, not MPEG.

The recorder I referred to includes a DVD-RW drive because at some point
the images will have to be produced as evidence - the Swann does not.

etc. etc. etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Micky Savage wrote:

Now your just talking balls.
WHAT IS A FULL FRAME dvr?
GOT SOME CAMERA'S THIS MORNING SONY CHIPPED.
540 TVL AND NOT A TUBE IN SIGHT.
oh yes you are,but your not in sight.

Go and look at C.C.T.V DIRECTS web site. let me know what a full frame
dvr
is.

Can you repeat that, biut this time in English?

Which part?

All of it.

Steve ,
I can't be arsed.

You asked me for a full frame dvr. Whats that?
You said somthing about a camera needing a tube,

Chipped camera's still have tvl.

Now talk to me not here to argue.

Regards Man.

Micky

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:21:30 UTC, "George"
wrote:

But Gareth Crossman from Liberty said: " Not many people know that if their
camera looks onto public or a neighbour's property they are bound by the
data protection act and they must comply with some very severe
restrictions."

The police, too, say CCTV cameras need to be used properly - otherwise they
may not be able to be used in evidence , and their images could be
challenged in court.

The restrictions aren't that severe - for instance the camera can't be
panned. Check out the Information Commissioner's site.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"George" wrote in message
om...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

Unfortunately a decent DVR doesn't come cheap I've used things like
this:

http://tinyurl.com/6y72yt

That is hardly better than the £180 maplin one

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...earchTop&T =d
vr&doy=28m8

It may cost £1300 but it can only record four channels so its not much

good
for unattended recording.

Says records upto 16 cams in the blog and no HD installed Dennis.

People ,

Just my 2 pence worth.
Don't go Maplin.

TRY CCTV direct.
Micky

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Micky Savage wrote:

Now your just talking balls.
WHAT IS A FULL FRAME dvr?
GOT SOME CAMERA'S THIS MORNING SONY CHIPPED.
540 TVL AND NOT A TUBE IN SIGHT.
oh yes you are,but your not in sight.

Go and look at C.C.T.V DIRECTS web site. let me know what a full
frame dvr
is.

Can you repeat that, biut this time in English?

Which part?

All of it.

Steve ,
I can't be arsed.

You asked me for a full frame dvr. Whats that?
You said somthing about a camera needing a tube,

Chipped camera's still have tvl.

Now talk to me not here to argue.

Regards Man.

Alas, a waste of time trying to talk to the Firth idiot, he only argues with
or hurls abuse a people. Google for 'Steve Firth' and you woll see what I
mean.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"George" wrote in message
om...

Says records upto 16 cams in the blog

"includes a DVD quality recording mode which will record up to 4 cameras in
real time at full DVD resolution (720x576) "

It only records 4 cameras in full PAL resolution.
It can obviously record all the cameras if it does them as a 4x4 matrix on
one screen.

and no HD installed Dennis.

What is "no HD installed" supposed to mean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

George wrote:

Dennis the pillock wrote:

Unfortunately a decent DVR doesn't come cheap I've used things like
this:

http://tinyurl.com/6y72yt

That is hardly better than the £180 maplin one

Cock.

The DVR I referred to records PAL video at 720x576 at 25fps from 16
cameras simultaneously.

Cock.

The DVR you referred to includes
"includes a DVD quality recording mode which will record up to 4 cameras in
real time at full DVD resolution (720x576)"

It doesn't do all 16 in full PAL resolution at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...

Says records upto 16 cams in the blog

"includes a DVD quality recording mode which will record up to 4 cameras

in
real time at full DVD resolution (720x576) "

It only records 4 cameras in full PAL resolution.
It can obviously record all the cameras if it does them as a 4x4 matrix on
one screen.

and no HD installed Dennis.

What is "no HD installed" supposed to mean?

That was intended for the maplin one you posted ie you have to buy that
seperate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:03:41 +0100, "BRAD"
wrote:

I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.

It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.

Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.

Can I sue our local authority and private firms who have cctv for filming me
then?
Seems very one sided (again).

Try reading what he wrote.

The important part is "if you have specific individuals in mind".

Not that they would be able to sue you anyhow.

*IF* you are using CCTV targeted on specific individuals or manually
controlled so as to track specific individuals *and* you do not have a
DPA registration covering it, then you *could* be in trouble with the
Information Commissioner if somebody reports you to him.

All the local authority and corporate CCTV systems will certainly be
covered by DPA registrations.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Disinformation is not as good as datinformation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

BRAD wrote:
The Information Commisioners Office has released CCTV guidelines on
where you can point the cameras etc:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...practice_html/
index.html

Although the above link results in an error .... the source of the
information also states quite clearly :....

" The Data Protection Act does not apply to individuals' private or
household purposes. So if you install a camera on your own home to
protect it from burglary, the Act will not apply."

Hope this will be of interest.
Brad

Brad,

Not sure of the source at the moment (I never logged it down for some
reason), but I have just dug up this little nugget from a letter that I
drafted some time ago regarding a neighbours security cameras overlooking my
property.

Quote:

According to the Data Protection Act of 1998, a person can install a
security camera in their home as long as it does not cover their neighbour’s
property or the street area. In other words, as long as a camera only shows
people on your property; you do not have to register with the data
commissioner or provide records.

Section 36 of the act states:

"Personal data processed by an individual only for the purposes of that
individual’s personal, family or household affairs (including recreational
purposes) are exempt from the data protection principles and the provisions
of Parts II and III."

However, if you record anywhere outside your own property; you must register
with the data commissioner, put up signs informing people of the camera, and
keep logs of the recordings in a secure place.

Unquote

----------------------

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:28:43 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

[...]

It sounds like the neighbours will be close enough for such kit to be
able to identify them - at least clearly enough to give a copper an
excuse to go round and have a word.
Much more than that and a rather more expensive system would probably
be needed - at which point it might be cheaper to hire a couple of
'likely lads' to go round and 'express your concerns in a robust and
concerted fashion'.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:21:30 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Micky Savage" wrote in message

snip

I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.

It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.

Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.

No Disrespect,

Rubbish.

But Gareth Crossman from Liberty said: " Not many people know that if their
camera looks onto public or a neighbour's property they are bound by the
data protection act and they must comply with some very severe
restrictions."

He is wrong.

There are quite a few people who "know" that, but they are all wrong.

The police, too, say CCTV cameras need to be used properly - otherwise they
may not be able to be used in evidence , and their images could be
challenged in court.

That is true of any means you have of recording anything.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Programmers don't get sniffles, they get a CODE.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:34:36 +0100, "Micky Savage"
wrote:

snip

YES GOOD POINT.

They do have to be covering your property only.

What makes you think that?
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Where there's a will, there's an inheritance tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:27:14 +0100, Blah wrote:

Sarah wrote:
well we've been having troubles from pain in the backside neighbours from
late night drinking to kicking footballs at our windows on purpose and at
our sky dish. Reported it to the relvant people who seem to do nothing. Had
a victim support person turn up out of the blue today and they siggested
putting a cctv camera up on the inside and if it is slightly watching your
sky dish and catches them in the act you have instant proof ? (buy the way
the list of their stupidity is far to lon to type, were tolerant to a
level but they have gone beyond too far)

So knowing nothing about cctv, I thought you guys would know ?

Do I need something that connects to my pc or tv ? also would need to store
the footage maybe on a hard disc or a blank dvd ?

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

Thanks

One of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...21498&DOY=28m8

Up to 4 of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...0CCD%20Cameras

Plug into home pc (which must be switched on 24/7!).

That is an extremely expensive way of doing it.

You can get a proper DVR with 250GB built in HD for about the same as
the price of your first link.

And you can get decent all-weather cameras with 1/3 inch CCD for about
£80 - even the £99 one in your link only has 1/4 inch.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Unqualified superlatives are the worst of all.
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:29:53 UTC, "Tanner-'op"
wrote:

[...]

The later guidance from the ICO seems to contradict that...but I think
there was a change in the legislation.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
But surely you can have image enhancing software? I'd seen it on CIS -
they take standard CCTV footage and manage to read a car numberplate
miles away - so small you can barely tell what make the car is.

What do you expect from the Co-op?

Danm. My Dyslixea uncoveredd.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28 Aug, 16:09, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *Ariadne wrote:

I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.
It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.
Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.

If the camera was covering any part of their property, do you mean? Which
is probably would have to *- to catch kids kicking balls at windows etc..

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Maybe I need to explain why I became interested
in CCTV cameras. Drugs traffickers moved in
next door to me and committed quite a few crimes
involving theft and damage to my property. Further
damage was caused in Drugs Squad raids since a
likely hiding place to the police was my garden and
I do think that at first the traffickers did hide drugs
in my garden.

On one occasion when my car was damaged
maliciously a policeman I spoke to asked if
there were CCTV cameras in the vicinity. There
was one only and it poked out of the drugs traffickers'
window! They didn't own the property and in fact
occupied an upper storey flat but they could certainly
survey quite a large area and vehicles on a busy road.

I was furious also to be spied on by this scum but
there was nothing I could do about it.

I really don't know about children. But it seems common
sense to me that a camera restricted to the ground
you own is reasonable. And why not register it if you
aren't using it to see the police coming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

But surely you can have image enhancing software? I'd seen it on CIS -
they take standard CCTV footage and manage to read a car numberplate miles
away - so small you can barely tell what make the car is.

[Thinks] They couldn't be lying, could they?

Are you suggesting that you don't believe everything you see, or hear,
on TV? Surely not :-)

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

But surely you can have image enhancing software? I'd seen it on CIS -
they take standard CCTV footage and manage to read a car numberplate
miles away - so small you can barely tell what make the car is.

[Thinks] They couldn't be lying, could they?

Are you suggesting that you don't believe everything you see, or hear,
on TV? Surely not :-)

Of course. The camera never lies...

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

dennis@home wrote:

"Gordy" wrote in message

There is an women down my mothers road who has had a camera up for
about a year now that looks straight down the row of gardens at
peoples children and people coming in and out of there houses.

In short the council didnt want to know anything about it nor did the
constabulary.

They won't be, there is no law to stop a householder having a CCTV
pointing at the street.
There is no law requiring you to register it.
There is no law requiring you to put up warning stickers.

You'd better tell the home office then, they disagree!
http://www.crimereduction.homeoffice...vchecklist.pdf

They might be interested if you fit a 20:1 hdtv camera on a pan and tilt
mount so you can spy into bedrooms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

dennis@home wrote:

"Blah" wrote in message

One of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...21498&DOY=28m8

Nah, one of these and a cheap disk..
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...nce&doy= 28m8

No Hard drive included, no monitor, no remote playback

Up to 4 of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...0CCD%20Cameras

Plug into home pc (which must be switched on 24/7!).

No need for a pc.

May as well buy one for the price of the above with HD and monitor

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Alex Heney wrote:

Plug into home pc (which must be switched on 24/7!).

That is an extremely expensive way of doing it.

You can get a proper DVR with 250GB built in HD for about the same as
the price of your first link.

And you can get decent all-weather cameras with 1/3 inch CCD for about
£80 - even the £99 one in your link only has 1/4 inch.

It wasn't meant to be cheap, it was meant to be EASY for a complete
newbie (as the OP is).
She can walk into Maplin, get some further advice and walk out with the
goods and return them if they don't work.

DVR are not for newbies and have less features (like remote viewing)
which are far more important than price.

Remote viewing includes the obvious 'watch from a mates' but more
importantly allows 'viewing from any pc in the house' which
coinsidering a lot of houses have computers and laptops all over the
house means that you don't have to go to the viewing monitor of the DVD,
you can check from the comfort of bed etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Micky Savage wrote:

People ,

Just my 2 pence worth.
Don't go Maplin.

TRY CCTV direct.
Micky

Do they do no quibble exchange on faulty equipment upto a YEAR after
purchase? Maplin do........