Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Alex Heney Alex Heney is offline

Default Bad neighbours and cctv question

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:03:41 +0100, "BRAD"
wrote:

I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.

It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.

Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.

Can I sue our local authority and private firms who have cctv for filming me
then?
Seems very one sided (again).

Try reading what he wrote.

The important part is "if you have specific individuals in mind".

Not that they would be able to sue you anyhow.

*IF* you are using CCTV targeted on specific individuals or manually
controlled so as to track specific individuals *and* you do not have a
DPA registration covering it, then you *could* be in trouble with the
Information Commissioner if somebody reports you to him.

All the local authority and corporate CCTV systems will certainly be
covered by DPA registrations.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Disinformation is not as good as datinformation.