Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Bad neighbours and cctv question

well we've been having troubles from pain in the backside neighbours from
late night drinking to kicking footballs at our windows on purpose and at
our sky dish. Reported it to the relvant people who seem to do nothing. Had
a victim support person turn up out of the blue today and they siggested
putting a cctv camera up on the inside and if it is slightly watching your
sky dish and catches them in the act you have instant proof ? (buy the way
the list of their stupidity is far to lon to type, were tolerant to a
level but they have gone beyond too far)

So knowing nothing about cctv, I thought you guys would know ?

Do I need something that connects to my pc or tv ? also would need to store
the footage maybe on a hard disc or a blank dvd ?

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Sarah" wrote in message
[...]

Not going into the what and how routine,but if you do get surveilance
equipment I suggest you don't let it be visible or let ANYONE know you have
it...otherwise they will give you more grief than the norm as problem
neighbours hate that sort of thing and will do their uttermost to get shut
of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Sarah wrote:
well we've been having troubles from pain in the backside neighbours from
late night drinking to kicking footballs at our windows on purpose and at
our sky dish. Reported it to the relvant people who seem to do nothing. Had
a victim support person turn up out of the blue today and they siggested
putting a cctv camera up on the inside and if it is slightly watching your
sky dish and catches them in the act you have instant proof ? (buy the way
the list of their stupidity is far to lon to type, were tolerant to a
level but they have gone beyond too far)

So knowing nothing about cctv, I thought you guys would know ?

Do I need something that connects to my pc or tv ? also would need to store
the footage maybe on a hard disc or a blank dvd ?

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

Thanks

One of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...21498&DOY=28m8

Up to 4 of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...0CCD%20Cameras

Plug into home pc (which must be switched on 24/7!).

Might also want a bigger HD to store more stuff (when HD nearly full, it
wipes oldest stuff automatically).

Gives you a timelapse/movement system which will record every sniff the
neighbours make.

If you have a internet connection, can also view live footage from
anywhere in the world.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Blah" wrote in message
Sarah wrote:
[...]

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...28m8&MenuN am
e=Wired%20CCD%20Cameras

Plug into home pc (which must be switched on 24/7!).

Might also want a bigger HD to store more stuff (when HD nearly full, it
wipes oldest stuff automatically).

Gives you a timelapse/movement system which will record every sniff the
neighbours make.

If you have a internet connection, can also view live footage from
anywhere in the world.

Damn, you shop dearly...ever thought of buying on ebay for a fraction of the
cost of maplins,after all maplins probably get their surveillance equipment
from HonkKong too. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

George wrote:
"Blah" wrote in message

Damn, you shop dearly...ever thought of buying on ebay for a fraction of the
cost of maplins,after all maplins probably get their surveillance equipment
from HonkKong too. :-)

Got three Maplins within spitting distance - can decide to do something,
buy it, install it and be back in the office within 30 mins.(1)

Ebay and Hong Kong doesn't cut it in this case!

1) And sometimes you need to work fast, some f*cker cut the lead to one
of my works camera and I had it replaced immediately, b4 anything else
could be attacked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28 Aug, 12:25, "George" wrote:
"Sarah" wrote in message

[...]

Beware also that you may get into trouble with the constabulary over a
totally mythical "law" that it is illegal to take photographs of
children. BTDTGTTS.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Sarah" wrote in message
well we've been having troubles from pain in the backside neighbours from
late night drinking to kicking footballs at our windows on purpose and at
our sky dish. Reported it to the relvant people who seem to do nothing.
Had a victim support person turn up out of the blue today and they
siggested putting a cctv camera up on the inside and if it is slightly
watching your sky dish and catches them in the act you have instant proof
? (buy the way the list of their stupidity is far to lon to type, were
tolerant to a level but they have gone beyond too far)

So knowing nothing about cctv, I thought you guys would know ?

Do I need something that connects to my pc or tv ? also would need to
store the footage maybe on a hard disc or a blank dvd ?

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

Thanks

Hi Sarah,
If you care to ring me I would gladly give you any advice you need.

Micky Savage.
Modern Security Systems . Leeds u.K.

07984073882

WOULD TAKE TO LONG TO TYPE.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Stephen Howard wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:17:55 +0100, "Sarah" wrote:

The software can be had for free - Pryme is one such program and can
be found he

http://www.hilo.dk/pryme/

The paid-for version, Tincam, is very good - I use it myself.

Any photos you take can be time-stamped and saved - or you can take
short videos triggered by motion.

Regards,

They say you can't re-invent the wheel...

There must be hundreds of identical webcam applications out there -
every cam comes with its own - and then hundreds of apps like the above.
Why? Surely there are only so many things you can do with captured image
- store, ftp, http, email etc - why are people still bothering to write
new ones! Doh.

Actually, I want to upgrade mine to one that automatically tracks
movement, pan/tilt/zoom onto target. Anyone know of a good one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Micky Savage wrote:

Hi Sarah,
If you care to ring me I would gladly give you any advice you need.

Micky Savage.
Modern Security Systems . Leeds u.K.

07984073882

WOULD TAKE TO LONG TO TYPE.

Now there's an offer you could refuse ;-)

Brian Damage
'Security' Consultant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Sarah wrote:

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

You need a decent camera. Most webcams and CCTV cameras are inadequate
beceause they tend to be quarter frame VGA (320x240) which is inadequate
for evidence. You really need broadcast quality cameras and low
compression images in order to identify who is doing what and to what.
Look for a camera and a recorder that can at the very least cope with
full frame VGA - for CCTV this is 672x544. There are some recorders
around that can do it, but the majority of DIY shed cheapies just offer
336x272 or sometimes "VGA" at 672x272 which is inadequate.

Also be aware that many of the night time cameras are a dead giveaway
because they use "infra red LED illumination" that extends into the
visible spectrum. A bright glowing red ring in the sky is a dead
giveaway that you are recording using CCTV.

You might get further with the relatively expensive option of a
low-light Mini DV camera. Some of them offer the ability to output the
image via S-VHS or Firewire so that you can use an external recorder or
PC to store the video. The quality in low light is much better than that
of the cheap(ish) CCTV. Most of the "Quad" digital CCTV recorders that I
have seen record an entirely inadequate image and some require that you
install only HDDs supplied by the maker. This means great expense and
limited availability.

Unfortunately a decent DVR doesn't come cheap I've used things like
this:

http://tinyurl.com/6y72yt

In the past, typically costing between £1500 and £2500. The 16 camera
ability isn't necessary, what is important is the ability to record
720x576 video at 25 fps. That's sufficient to unequivocally identify a
scumbag if used with a suitable quality of camera.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:17:55 +0100, "Sarah" wrote:

well we've been having troubles from pain in the backside neighbours from
late night drinking to kicking footballs at our windows on purpose and at
our sky dish. Reported it to the relvant people who seem to do nothing. Had
a victim support person turn up out of the blue today and they siggested
putting a cctv camera up on the inside and if it is slightly watching your
sky dish and catches them in the act you have instant proof ? (buy the way
the list of their stupidity is far to lon to type, were tolerant to a
level but they have gone beyond too far)

So knowing nothing about cctv, I thought you guys would know ?

Do I need something that connects to my pc or tv ? also would need to store
the footage maybe on a hard disc or a blank dvd ?

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

The cheapest option would be a webcam and a program that takes shots
when triggered by movement ( motion detection ).
Webcams are cheap enough, but if you want reasonable quality pics or
night vision then the price goes up.

The software can be had for free - Pryme is one such program and can
be found he

http://www.hilo.dk/pryme/

The paid-for version, Tincam, is very good - I use it myself.

Any photos you take can be time-stamped and saved - or you can take
short videos triggered by motion.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Micky Savage wrote:

If you care to ring me I would gladly give you any advice you need.

"Give" eh? Absolutely Free with no obligation, eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Blah wrote:

There must be hundreds of identical webcam applications out there -
every cam comes with its own - and then hundreds of apps like the above.
Why? Surely there are only so many things you can do with captured image
- store, ftp, http, email etc - why are people still bothering to write
new ones! Doh.

Well, if you're serious about it there's only one real choice, Axis
webcams which have an integrated Linux server and network connections.
Not cheap, but very good and available in PTZ weatherproof enclosures.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Sarah wrote:

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

You need a decent camera. Most webcams and CCTV cameras are inadequate
beceause they tend to be quarter frame VGA (320x240) which is inadequate
for evidence. You really need broadcast quality cameras and low
compression images in order to identify who is doing what and to what.
Look for a camera and a recorder that can at the very least cope with
full frame VGA - for CCTV this is 672x544. There are some recorders
around that can do it, but the majority of DIY shed cheapies just offer
336x272 or sometimes "VGA" at 672x272 which is inadequate.

Shouldn't that be...the scan lines rather than the image size? ie 420 lines
will give a poor image as opposed to 625 lines will give you TV quality

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Micky Savage wrote:

If you care to ring me I would gladly give you any advice you need.

"Give" eh? Absolutely Free with no obligation, eh?

Yep, no probs.

Micky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28 Aug, 11:55, wrote:
On 28 Aug, 12:25, "George" wrote:

"Sarah" wrote in message

[...]

Chris- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.

It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.

Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.

It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.

Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.

Can I sue our local authority and private firms who have cctv for filming me
then?
Seems very one sided (again).
Brad

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Ariadne" wrote in message
On 28 Aug, 11:55, wrote:
On 28 Aug, 12:25, "George" wrote:

"Sarah" wrote in message

[...]

No Disrespect,

Rubbish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:09:03 +0100, Blah wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:17:55 +0100, "Sarah" wrote:

The software can be had for free - Pryme is one such program and can
be found he

http://www.hilo.dk/pryme/

The paid-for version, Tincam, is very good - I use it myself.

Any photos you take can be time-stamped and saved - or you can take
short videos triggered by motion.

They say you can't re-invent the wheel...

There must be hundreds of identical webcam applications out there -
every cam comes with its own - and then hundreds of apps like the above.
Why? Surely there are only so many things you can do with captured image
- store, ftp, http, email etc - why are people still bothering to write
new ones! Doh.

Because simply writing one doesn't mean it's any good - or that it
does what you need it to do. Or that it's stable, or fast, or easy to
use.
I went through at least half a dozen before I found that Pryme, and
later Tincam, ticked all the boxes for me.

Actually, I want to upgrade mine to one that automatically tracks
movement, pan/tilt/zoom onto target. Anyone know of a good one?

One of the manufacturer's apps does that - face tracking, they call
it. Might be Logitech?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Micky Savage" wrote in message

"Ariadne" wrote in message
On 28 Aug, 11:55, wrote:
On 28 Aug, 12:25, "George" wrote:

"Sarah" wrote in message

[...]

But Gareth Crossman from Liberty said: " Not many people know that if their
camera looks onto public or a neighbour's property they are bound by the
data protection act and they must comply with some very severe
restrictions."

The police, too, say CCTV cameras need to be used properly - otherwise they
may not be able to be used in evidence , and their images could be
challenged in court.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Micky Savage wrote:

If you care to ring me I would gladly give you any advice you need.

"Give" eh? Absolutely Free with no obligation, eh?

Yep, no probs.

Oh in that case I'll have a 16 channel full frame DVR. I'll even give
you a fiver for P&P.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Sarah wrote:

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

You need a decent camera. Most webcams and CCTV cameras are inadequate
beceause they tend to be quarter frame VGA (320x240) which is inadequate
for evidence. You really need broadcast quality cameras and low
compression images in order to identify who is doing what and to what.
Look for a camera and a recorder that can at the very least cope with
full frame VGA - for CCTV this is 672x544. There are some recorders
around that can do it, but the majority of DIY shed cheapies just offer
336x272 or sometimes "VGA" at 672x272 which is inadequate.

Shouldn't that be...the scan lines rather than the image size? ie 420 lines
will give a poor image as opposed to 625 lines will give you TV quality

If you can find a CCTV camera that still uses a tube, I suppose so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

om...

"Ariadne" wrote in message
On 28 Aug, 11:55, wrote:
On 28 Aug, 12:25, "George" wrote:

"Sarah" wrote in message

[...]

YES GOOD POINT.

They do have to be covering your property only.
As for the Police,if you do what is said above, there will not be a problem.

Kind Regards.

micky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28 Aug, 13:03, "BRAD" wrote:
I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.

It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.

Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.

Can I sue our local authority and private firms who have cctv for filming me
then?
Seems very one sided (again).
Brad

Are you a specific target?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28 Aug, 13:11, "Micky Savage" wrote:
"Ariadne" wrote in message

On 28 Aug, 11:55, wrote:
On 28 Aug, 12:25, "George" wrote:

"Sarah" wrote in message

[...]

Rubbish.- Hide quoted text -

Returned!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Ariadne" wrote in message
On 28 Aug, 13:03, "BRAD" wrote:
I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.

It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.

Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.

Can I sue our local authority and private firms who have cctv for filming
me
then?
Seems very one sided (again).
Brad

Are you a specific target?

Have a go you will not get any where.

Micky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Ariadne" wrote in message

On 28 Aug, 11:55, wrote:
On 28 Aug, 12:25, "George" wrote:

"Sarah" wrote in message

[...]

On domestic property they do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Blah" wrote in message
Stephen Howard wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:17:55 +0100, "Sarah" wrote:

The software can be had for free - Pryme is one such program and can
be found he

http://www.hilo.dk/pryme/

The paid-for version, Tincam, is very good - I use it myself.

Any photos you take can be time-stamped and saved - or you can take
short videos triggered by motion.

Regards,

They say you can't re-invent the wheel...

There must be hundreds of identical webcam applications out there - every
cam comes with its own - and then hundreds of apps like the above.
Why? Surely there are only so many things you can do with captured image -
store, ftp, http, email etc - why are people still bothering to write new
ones! Doh.

I guess some are better than others I like evocam (Mac)
of course some might need drivers, eveocam has the ability to let you stream
live
events. I've heard here at uni. they are looking at all sorts of
improvements
to software including skin colour recognition, but \I can see that causing
PC problems and I don;t mean software errors.

Actually, I want to upgrade mine to one that automatically tracks
movement, pan/tilt/zoom onto target. Anyone know of a good one?

See you want different software too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Micky Savage wrote:

If you care to ring me I would gladly give you any advice you need.

"Give" eh? Absolutely Free with no obligation, eh?

Yep, no probs.

Oh in that case I'll have a 16 channel full frame DVR. I'll even give
you a fiver for P&P.

For advice, read man read,

Micky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .

Sarah wrote:

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

You need a decent camera. Most webcams and CCTV cameras are inadequate
beceause they tend to be quarter frame VGA (320x240) which is
inadequate
for evidence. You really need broadcast quality cameras and low
compression images in order to identify who is doing what and to what.
Look for a camera and a recorder that can at the very least cope with
full frame VGA - for CCTV this is 672x544. There are some recorders
around that can do it, but the majority of DIY shed cheapies just offer
336x272 or sometimes "VGA" at 672x272 which is inadequate.

Shouldn't that be...the scan lines rather than the image size? ie 420
lines
will give a poor image as opposed to 625 lines will give you TV quality

If you can find a CCTV camera that still uses a tube, I suppose so.

Now your just talking balls.
WHAT IS A FULL FRAME dvr?
GOT SOME CAMERA'S THIS MORNING SONY CHIPPED.
540 TVL AND NOT A TUBE IN SIGHT.
oh yes you are,but your not in sight.

Go and look at C.C.T.V DIRECTS web site. let me know what a full frame dvr
is.

Micky

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Sarah wrote:

[...]

Why tube? :-P
http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/varifocal-camera.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Sarah wrote:
well we've been having troubles from pain in the backside neighbours
from late night drinking to kicking footballs at our windows on
purpose and at our sky dish. Reported it to the relvant people who
seem to do nothing. Had a victim support person turn up out of the
blue today and they siggested putting a cctv camera up on the inside
and if it is slightly watching your sky dish and catches them in the
act you have instant proof ? (buy the way the list of their
stupidity is far to lon to type, were tolerant to a level but they
have gone beyond too far)
So knowing nothing about cctv, I thought you guys would know ?

Do I need something that connects to my pc or tv ? also would need to
store the footage maybe on a hard disc or a blank dvd ?

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

Thanks

A very simple and low cost (about £10) solution is to set up a webcam in the
window, and configure the software to take a snapshot every 3 to 5 seconds,
or else capture a small or low-resolution stream.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Sarah wrote:

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

You need a decent camera. Most webcams and CCTV cameras are inadequate
beceause they tend to be quarter frame VGA (320x240) which is inadequate
for evidence. You really need broadcast quality cameras and low
compression images in order to identify who is doing what and to what.
Look for a camera and a recorder that can at the very least cope with
full frame VGA - for CCTV this is 672x544. There are some recorders
around that can do it, but the majority of DIY shed cheapies just offer
336x272 or sometimes "VGA" at 672x272 which is inadequate.

Shouldn't that be...the scan lines rather than the image size? ie 420 lines
will give a poor image as opposed to 625 lines will give you TV quality

No it will just give you a 625 line picture. Nothing to do with quality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:14:22 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Sarah wrote:

A bit out of my depth here so advice welcomed.

You need a decent camera. Most webcams and CCTV cameras are inadequate
beceause they tend to be quarter frame VGA (320x240) which is inadequate
for evidence. You really need broadcast quality cameras and low
compression images in order to identify who is doing what and to what.

From my reading around it looked like you need an infeasibly good image
to be allowed to use it in court (for example - head and shoulders
filling 50% of the frame). I'm no expert though - that may be paranoia..

The Information Commisioners Office has released CCTV guidelines on where
you can point the cameras etc:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...practice_html/
index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

The Information Commisioners Office has released CCTV guidelines on where
you can point the cameras etc:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...practice_html/
index.html

Although the above link results in an error .... the source of the
information also states quite clearly :....

" The Data Protection Act does not apply to individuals' private or
household purposes. So if you install a camera on your own home to protect
it from burglary, the Act will not apply."

Hope this will be of interest.
Brad

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

[...]

We had a Swann 4ch Standalone DVR w/ Motion activated Recording but
have upgraded to one that can be viewed on the computers.
It served us well and is now on ebay!

We set the areas to cover only our property though and the cameras are
quite visible.

If you've only got one set of nasty neighbours have you got support
from others? The more people who witness and report problems the
better.
Do you know your PCSO? And do you report every incident? You can ring
up and report things and say you don't need an officer to call but you
just want to report the incident and ALWAYS get a log number.

Consider joining neighbourhood watch for instant regular access to
loads of local police people. It never hurts to have the inspector pop
down to see what's going on

Keep a diary and take photos of damage. It's soul destroying having
nuisance near your home and will easily take over your life.
Note every incident in the form of date, time, who was involved, where
it was, what time did it start, finish and who else witnessed it, and
how it made you feel. Basically what the council has on it's ASB
forms.
I can email you a blank one if you want as an idea of what you should
be writing down.

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
You need a decent camera. Most webcams and CCTV cameras are inadequate
beceause they tend to be quarter frame VGA (320x240) which is inadequate
for evidence. You really need broadcast quality cameras and low
compression images in order to identify who is doing what and to what.
Look for a camera and a recorder that can at the very least cope with
full frame VGA - for CCTV this is 672x544. There are some recorders
around that can do it, but the majority of DIY shed cheapies just offer
336x272 or sometimes "VGA" at 672x272 which is inadequate.

But surely you can have image enhancing software? I'd seen it on CIS -
they take standard CCTV footage and manage to read a car numberplate miles
away - so small you can barely tell what make the car is.

[Thinks] They couldn't be lying, could they?

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:34:36 +0100, "Micky Savage"
wrote:

They do have to be covering your property only.

Not according to the DPA website:-

"The use of cameras for limited household purposes is exempt from the
DPA. This applies where an individual uses CCTV to protect their home
from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas
near their home. Images captured for recreational purposes, such as
with a mobile phone, digital camera or camcorder, are also exempt.

"Example: If you make a video of your child in a nativity play for
your own family use, this is not covered by data protection law."

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article
,
Ariadne wrote:
I'm not sure about that but I had reason to look into
the legality of CCTV for surveillance.

It is apparently a good idea to register your use of
such equipment if you have specific individuals in
mind.

Presumably otherwise the filmed ones might have
grounds for prosecuting you.

If the camera was covering any part of their property, do you mean? Which
is probably would have to - to catch kids kicking balls at windows etc.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *