Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver

Anyone know of a small spiral-ratchet (yankee-type) screwdriver which
takes standard hex-shaft screwdriver bits?

Struck me it would be ideal for fixing pipe clips as the cordless drill is
invariably tied up with a drill bit so I usually end up driving the screws
with an ordinary screwdriver.

--
John Stumbles

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2008 19:53:21 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

Anyone know of a small spiral-ratchet (yankee-type) screwdriver which
takes standard hex-shaft screwdriver bits?

Struck me it would be ideal for fixing pipe clips as the cordless drill is
invariably tied up with a drill bit so I usually end up driving the screws
with an ordinary screwdriver.

==================================
There's one in my Toolstation catalogue - I think this is the one:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...ivers/d10/sd80

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Anyone know of a small spiral-ratchet (yankee-type) screwdriver which
takes standard hex-shaft screwdriver bits?

Struck me it would be ideal for fixing pipe clips as the cordless drill is
invariably tied up with a drill bit so I usually end up driving the screws
with an ordinary screwdriver.

Buy an impact driver as they have a hex shank and the bits just slot out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:42:01 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Buy an impact driver as they have a hex shank and the bits just slot out.

Well the bits are about 3x the size of standard 1/4" hex screwdriver
bits the tool weights a ton, and you hit it with a club hammer to get it to
turn about 30 degrees rather than just pushing it to do several
revolutions, but otherwise spot on John :-/

Bloody armchair diyers sigh!

--
John Stumbles

Blamestorming
Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed
or a project failed, and who was responsible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:24:51 +0000, Cicero wrote:

There's one in my Toolstation catalogue - I think this is the one:

Hmmmn, doesn't say how big it is but looks at least 13"
Yankee(-equivalent) and only has own bits, not pozis :-(

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:03:51 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:24:51 +0000, Cicero wrote:

There's one in my Toolstation catalogue - I think this is the one:

Hmmmn, doesn't say how big it is but looks at least 13"
Yankee(-equivalent) and only has own bits, not pozis :-(

==================================
It's a good price even if it isn't a 'genuine' Yankee. It's cheap enough
to experiment with, and the job you have in mind (fixing pipe clips) isn't
really very demanding.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
Anyone know of a small spiral-ratchet (yankee-type) screwdriver which
takes standard hex-shaft screwdriver bits?

Struck me it would be ideal for fixing pipe clips as the cordless
drill is invariably tied up with a drill bit so I usually end up
driving the screws with an ordinary screwdriver.

John,

Have a look at this link:

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...&itemID=111110

It's an American firm but it may well give you a starting point for soem
digging - especially if you use the term
"pump action screwdriver" in a search engine.

You could also have look through the on-line Buck & Hickman tool catalogue -
link he

http://bhinone.farnell.com/jsp/searc...ame=Hand+Tools

If there's a problem with the address wrap - try this tinyurl.com link:

http://tinyurl.com/63rku2

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:03:51 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:24:51 +0000, Cicero wrote:

There's one in my Toolstation catalogue - I think this is the one:

Hmmmn, doesn't say how big it is but looks at least 13"
Yankee(-equivalent) and only has own bits, not pozis :-(

==================================
It's a good price even if it isn't a 'genuine' Yankee. It's cheap enough
to experiment with, and the job you have in mind (fixing pipe clips) isn't
really very demanding.

Damn difficult to hold the screw, clip and driver in one hand while pumping
it with the other.
I expect after the first couple of slips and a bit of blood it will be
confined to the tool box like my yankee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:42:01 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Buy an impact driver as they have a hex shank and the bits just slot out.

Well the bits are about 3x the size of standard 1/4" hex screwdriver

They are not.

bits the tool weights a ton, and you hit it with a club hammer to get it
turn about 30 degrees rather than just pushing it to do several
revolutions, but otherwise spot on John :-/

Have you ever used one Jimmy?

Impact Drivers are small.
Makita make a small thin Impact Driver. That should do you,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2008 22:23:44 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:03:51 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:24:51 +0000, Cicero wrote:

There's one in my Toolstation catalogue - I think this is the one:

Hmmmn, doesn't say how big it is but looks at least 13"
Yankee(-equivalent) and only has own bits, not pozis :-(

==================================
It's a good price even if it isn't a 'genuine' Yankee. It's cheap enough
to experiment with, and the job you have in mind (fixing pipe clips) isn't
really very demanding.

Damn difficult to hold the screw, clip and driver in one hand while pumping
it with the other.
I expect after the first couple of slips and a bit of blood it will be
confined to the tool box like my yankee.

==================================
I use the clip to hold the screw and I use any suitable screwdriver that
comes to hand.

I'm not recommending Yankees - the OP wants to try a Yankee
and I simply remembered seeing one in the catalogue. If he has the same
experience as you had I'm sure he'll discard it as quickly as you did and
might even be warned off by your experience before buying.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Cicero" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:03:51 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:24:51 +0000, Cicero wrote:

There's one in my Toolstation catalogue - I think this is the one:

Hmmmn, doesn't say how big it is but looks at least 13"
Yankee(-equivalent) and only has own bits, not pozis :-(

==================================
It's a good price even if it isn't a 'genuine' Yankee. It's cheap
enough to experiment with, and the job you have in mind (fixing pipe
clips) isn't really very demanding.

Damn difficult to hold the screw, clip and driver in one hand while
pumping it with the other.
I expect after the first couple of slips and a bit of blood it will be
confined to the tool box like my yankee.

Dennis,

There is no problem using a Yankee screwdriver with one hand - the technique
is simple.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Anyone know of a small spiral-ratchet (yankee-type) screwdriver which
takes standard hex-shaft screwdriver bits?

Struck me it would be ideal for fixing pipe clips as the cordless drill is
invariably tied up with a drill bit so I usually end up driving the screws
with an ordinary screwdriver.

--
John Stumbles

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.

These were only ever good with self tappers,fords workers used the alot in
the 70's

Try ebay?but they will probably be in the states?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

I use the clip to hold the screw and I use any suitable screwdriver that
comes to hand.

I'm not recommending Yankees - the OP wants to try a Yankee
and I simply remembered seeing one in the catalogue. If he has the same
experience as you had I'm sure he'll discard it as quickly as you did and
might even be warned off by your experience before buying.

It takes me back to the early sixties when I bought the medium sized
one. At the time, I was serving my apprenticeship and I worked for a
department that did string tying machines for the newspaper industry.
All the panels enclosing the dangerous bits were screwed on with hex
slotted dome head screws and I made a hex bit, out of a cut down Allen
key, to speed up the panelling job. We were on piece work at that time
and it was a way to make a bit more money.

Of all the experienced fitters that borrowed it, it always came back
with the complaint that it had taken a bite out of their fingers :-)
They had held onto the pump handle and let their fingers slip onto the
spiral as it entered the pump handle. Why they couldn't just hold the
knurled collar that you pull back to change bits, I'll never know.
Perhaps they were not all that bright :-(

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

Anyone know of a small spiral-ratchet (yankee-type) screwdriver which
takes standard hex-shaft screwdriver bits?

Struck me it would be ideal for fixing pipe clips as the cordless drill is
invariably tied up with a drill bit so I usually end up driving the screws
with an ordinary screwdriver.

Rapid electronics (Radpidonline co uk) do one too. But TBH a £5
value 2.4v screwdriver would beat the stuffing out of a spiral thing.
Yankees may have seemed like a move forward from a trad
screwdriver, but compared to even the worst small power tool
theyre just pants.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Anyone know of a small spiral-ratchet (yankee-type) screwdriver which
takes standard hex-shaft screwdriver bits?

Struck me it would be ideal for fixing pipe clips as the cordless drill is
invariably tied up with a drill bit so I usually end up driving the screws
with an ordinary screwdriver.

I saw one in B&Q on Friday. www.diy.com is so piggin useless I can't find
it!

But you would be better off with one of these
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/sear...&submi t.y=18

Fantastic for jobs like yours.

Check out E Bay, got mine for £35.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Anyone know of a small spiral-ratchet (yankee-type) screwdriver which
takes standard hex-shaft screwdriver bits?

Struck me it would be ideal for fixing pipe clips as the cordless drill
is
invariably tied up with a drill bit so I usually end up driving the
screws
with an ordinary screwdriver.

I saw one in B&Q on Friday. www.diy.com is so piggin useless I can't find
it!

But you would be better off with one of these
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/sear...&submi t.y=18

Fantastic for jobs like yours.

Check out E Bay, got mine for £35.

A Yankee? Boy!!!!

The Makita Impact driver for £52. It competes with an 18v drill/driver in
performance.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...&product=53157
Video:
http://www.makitauk.com/video/td020vid.wmv

Seen them on Ebay for a lot cheaper too.

The Makita is small and goes in the ruler pocket - ideal! If you want an
Impact Driver that drives in lag bolts and is cheap enough then try a Sparky
from s/fix at around £99. The Ryobi is well priced too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...

But you would be better off with one of these
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/sear...&submi t.y=18

Fantastic for jobs like yours.

Check out E Bay, got mine for £35.

A Yankee? Boy!!!!

erm, I think you will find he was linking to the very Makita to which
you were referring.

It competes with an 18v drill/driver
in performance.

Not even close in fact. Its a nice tool and certainly has a place - it
would suit John's requirement very well. However it only develops 17Nm
max torque, and a 2" 10 gauge twinthread screw into a brown plug is
about its limit. Its not comparable with a 18V drill that will develop
two to three times the torque, or a big impact driver which will exceed
ten times the torque.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...&product=53157

Video:
http://www.makitauk.com/video/td020vid.wmv

Seen them on Ebay for a lot cheaper too.

Got mine for about £35 with two batts from eBay.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2008 22:22:36 +0100, Tanner-'op wrote:

Have a look at this link:

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...&itemID=111110

I think the 'pump-action' refers to how you change bits on it - it doesn't
seem to be a spiral-ratchet type driver.

It's an American firm but it may well give you a starting point for soem
digging - especially if you use the term
"pump action screwdriver" in a search engine.

Tried that. Seems google now returns results from its groups archive:

small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver - uk.d-i-y | Google ...
"pump action screwdriver" in a search engine. You could also have look through the on-line Buck & Hickman tool catalogue - link he ...
groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/3b88efc260946b32 - 158k - 14 hours ago - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

recursion: see recursion :-)

You could also have look through the on-line Buck & Hickman tool
catalogue - link he

http://bhinone.farnell.com/jsp/searc...ame=Hand+Tools

Thanks, had a look but there seems no way to specify other than length and
bit size/type and I didn't fancy trawling through 1117 'drivers looking
for one - which would probably be out of stock :-)

--
John Stumbles

Ohnosecond
Instant in time when you realise that you've just made a BIG mistake.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:03:54 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Not even close in fact. Its a nice tool and certainly has a place - it
would suit John's requirement very well. However it only develops 17Nm
max torque, and a 2" 10 gauge twinthread screw into a brown plug is
about its limit. Its not comparable with a 18V drill that will develop
two to three times the torque, or a big impact driver which will exceed
ten times the torque.

It would do for 4mm * 40mm goldscrews into red plugs though, which is what
I need (2" x 10 is about what I use for hanging boilers!). However I
really don't want Yet Another battery-operated tool to have to fiddle
around with spare batteries and chargers and storage for them all. When I
were a lad my dad had a short (9"-ish) spiral-ratchet driver (with a black
bulbous handle and 3 or 4 different bits in a maroon plastic wallet) and
that would seem to be appropriate technology for this application. I have
seen a very cheap one (£1.99, or double that + postage on eBay :-/) but it
only has slotted and Philips head bits.

--
John Stumbles

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:03:54 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Not even close in fact. Its a nice tool and certainly has a place - it
would suit John's requirement very well. However it only develops 17Nm
max torque, and a 2" 10 gauge twinthread screw into a brown plug is
about its limit. Its not comparable with a 18V drill that will develop
two to three times the torque, or a big impact driver which will exceed
ten times the torque.

It would do for 4mm * 40mm goldscrews into red plugs though, which is what

Yup, for general fixing it is great. Easy to hold and use. The only real
downsides are the noise and the lack of any speed control.

I need (2" x 10 is about what I use for hanging boilers!). However I
really don't want Yet Another battery-operated tool to have to fiddle
around with spare batteries and chargers and storage for them all.

It is a different design battery from the normal Makita ones as well.
The whole lot comes in a smallish pouch (about 3" thick and the size of
two DVD cases side by side) - so not too cumbersome. There is a belt
holster supplied with it as well.

When I
were a lad my dad had a short (9"-ish) spiral-ratchet driver (with a black
bulbous handle and 3 or 4 different bits in a maroon plastic wallet) and
that would seem to be appropriate technology for this application. I have
seen a very cheap one (£1.99, or double that + postage on eBay :-/) but it
only has slotted and Philips head bits.

I am sure I have such a thing floating about somewhere - the top
unscrews to allow the bits to be stowed in the handle. However it is a
custom bit fitting...

The closest I have to your requirement is a ratchet driver that came in
a socket set - has a hex mount end and forward and reverse ratchet. Alas
no yankee style action.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:02:09 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The closest I have to your requirement is a ratchet driver that came in
a socket set - has a hex mount end and forward and reverse ratchet. Alas
no yankee style action.

I know the sort of thing - I must have one or three kicking around.
Chocolate teapot generally, except one I have which is like a tiny
version of a socket-set-type ratchet, that takes 1/4" hex bits, has a
handle about 3" long and is priceless for getting at fasteners even a
chubby is too big for.

--
John Stumbles

The floggings will continue until morale improves