Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver

John Stumbles wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:03:54 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Not even close in fact. Its a nice tool and certainly has a place - it
would suit John's requirement very well. However it only develops 17Nm
max torque, and a 2" 10 gauge twinthread screw into a brown plug is
about its limit. Its not comparable with a 18V drill that will develop
two to three times the torque, or a big impact driver which will exceed
ten times the torque.

It would do for 4mm * 40mm goldscrews into red plugs though, which is what

Yup, for general fixing it is great. Easy to hold and use. The only real
downsides are the noise and the lack of any speed control.

I need (2" x 10 is about what I use for hanging boilers!). However I
really don't want Yet Another battery-operated tool to have to fiddle
around with spare batteries and chargers and storage for them all.

It is a different design battery from the normal Makita ones as well.
The whole lot comes in a smallish pouch (about 3" thick and the size of
two DVD cases side by side) - so not too cumbersome. There is a belt
holster supplied with it as well.

When I
were a lad my dad had a short (9"-ish) spiral-ratchet driver (with a black
bulbous handle and 3 or 4 different bits in a maroon plastic wallet) and
that would seem to be appropriate technology for this application. I have
seen a very cheap one (£1.99, or double that + postage on eBay :-/) but it
only has slotted and Philips head bits.

I am sure I have such a thing floating about somewhere - the top
unscrews to allow the bits to be stowed in the handle. However it is a
custom bit fitting...

The closest I have to your requirement is a ratchet driver that came in
a socket set - has a hex mount end and forward and reverse ratchet. Alas
no yankee style action.

--
Cheers,

John.