Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver

On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:03:54 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Not even close in fact. Its a nice tool and certainly has a place - it
would suit John's requirement very well. However it only develops 17Nm
max torque, and a 2" 10 gauge twinthread screw into a brown plug is
about its limit. Its not comparable with a 18V drill that will develop
two to three times the torque, or a big impact driver which will exceed
ten times the torque.

It would do for 4mm * 40mm goldscrews into red plugs though, which is what
I need (2" x 10 is about what I use for hanging boilers!). However I
really don't want Yet Another battery-operated tool to have to fiddle
around with spare batteries and chargers and storage for them all. When I
were a lad my dad had a short (9"-ish) spiral-ratchet driver (with a black
bulbous handle and 3 or 4 different bits in a maroon plastic wallet) and
that would seem to be appropriate technology for this application. I have
seen a very cheap one (£1.99, or double that + postage on eBay :-/) but it
only has slotted and Philips head bits.

--
John Stumbles

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.