Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver

Cicero wrote:

I use the clip to hold the screw and I use any suitable screwdriver that
comes to hand.

I'm not recommending Yankees - the OP wants to try a Yankee
and I simply remembered seeing one in the catalogue. If he has the same
experience as you had I'm sure he'll discard it as quickly as you did and
might even be warned off by your experience before buying.

It takes me back to the early sixties when I bought the medium sized
one. At the time, I was serving my apprenticeship and I worked for a
department that did string tying machines for the newspaper industry.
All the panels enclosing the dangerous bits were screwed on with hex
slotted dome head screws and I made a hex bit, out of a cut down Allen
key, to speed up the panelling job. We were on piece work at that time
and it was a way to make a bit more money.

Of all the experienced fitters that borrowed it, it always came back
with the complaint that it had taken a bite out of their fingers :-)
They had held onto the pump handle and let their fingers slip onto the
spiral as it entered the pump handle. Why they couldn't just hold the
knurled collar that you pull back to change bits, I'll never know.
Perhaps they were not all that bright :-(

Dave