Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dandy Paint Brush Cleaner

Anyone know where I can get this paint brush cleaner or something similar in
the UK at a reasonable price, not the £20 I can only find it at!
http://www.seenontvproducts.net/brushcleaner/index.html

It is superb for cleaning brushes but the one I have had for about 15 years
is on its last legs.

Cheers

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Mar, 16:53, "Steven Campbell" wrote:
Anyone know where I can get this paint brush cleaner or something similar in
the UK at a reasonable price, not the £20 I can only find it at!http://www.seenontvproducts.net/brushcleaner/index.html

It is superb for cleaning brushes but the one I have had for about 15 years
is on its last legs.

Cheers

Steven.

A friend who demonstrated one of these to me said he got it from an
Ideal Homes Exhibition, which I note is just coming up:
http://www.idealhomeshow.co.uk/ Perhaps someone who's going there can
keep a look out for you.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 7, 4:17 pm, wrote:
Thus spake Steven Campbell ) unto the assembled multitudes:

Anyone know where I can get this paint brush cleaner or something similar in
the UK at a reasonable price, not the £20 I can only find it at!

Buy from the man himself:
http://www.handysolutionsuk.com

http://www.seenontvproducts.net/brushcleaner/index.html
It is superb for cleaning brushes but the one I have had for about
15 years is on its last legs.

Surely this is never going to clean a brush completely? I can't believe
that just spinning a brush or roller with a power drill will remove *all*
the paint. For one thing it wouldn't inspire confidence in the adhesive
qualities of the paint :-)

Ah, but the adhesive quality of the paint that is of interest, is once
it has dried. The brush cleaner relies on you spinning it /before/ it
dries.

It is remarkably effective. Note that you spin it once to get "most"
of the paint off, rinse in brush cleaner, and spin again to get it
practically all off.

Also I can't believe you could spin a roller or brush fast enough with
the drill without something self-destructing, unless the roller or
brush is perfectly balanced.

Unless of course I'm missing something here...

It only works on small brushes (for oil paint). Emulsion brushes
won't fit in the holder (this is probably a feature!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I bought mine years ago after one of those demonstrations that make you
think you can't live without it ;o)

Absolutely great buy. Spin it for a minute or so and most of the excess
paint flies off the brush and I mean flies off. You need to do it inside a
bucket or box. Then dip the brush in some white spirit and spin it again
and the brush literally comes up like new. Not a single drop of paint left.

The drill can get a bit hard to hold when spinning full throttle but nothing
has broke yet.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
On Mar 7, 4:17 pm, wrote:
[...]

Emulsion brushes fit fine. I use it for all my brushes / rollers. In fact
the link you sent (thanks for that) says it can handle "100mm (4") down to
10mm (1/2"). Will clean almost any type of paint including oil based
glosses, undercoats and primers; acrylics; emulsions; polyurethanes or
varnishes"

Cheers

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 7, 5:05 pm, "Steven Campbell" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I've got one too and it works great. The only thing that concerns me
is the use of highly flammable liquids with an electric drill so
close. Is it not possible to ignite it all with the sparks made by the
drill motor?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Never thought about it but I suppose its possible.
My drill sparks quite often but I've never had a problem. Are fumes from
white spirit highly flammable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:48:10 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner
wrote:

It is remarkably effective. Note that you spin it once to get "most"
of the paint off, rinse in brush cleaner, and spin again to get it
practically all off.

Don't lend it to people (or at least people you want to stay friends
with) without the very simple instruction leaflet which says "put it
into a box when spinning the brush to catch all the paint which flies
off". I lent mine to my Dutch friend (having demonstrated how to use
it) and he cleaned his brush (white gloss paint) without this minor
item, and holding it horizontal.

I thought all was not well when his wife wafted lots of Dutch words
said with certain enthusiasm over the fence. The white stripe of
paint spray from floor to roof is still visible. It also cost him a
fortune because the rotary washing line was the other side of the
circle of paint and it had a dress needed for a dinner than night.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Mar, 18:44, wrote:

I have a drill attachment for stirring paint, which is also very useful but
you have to be a bit careful with the drill speed and direction of rotation.

The version for cleaning rollers has to be the easiest thing in the
world to d-i-y: Just get a cheapo roller frame from the pound shop,
cut the steel rod, and secure the plugs against rotation.

How are brushes held in the cylinder of the paintbrush version?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

This has to be a 'joke' question. right?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Thus spake Steven Campbell ) unto the assembled
multitudes:
Anyone know where I can get this paint brush cleaner or something similar
in
the UK at a reasonable price, not the £20 I can only find it at!
http://www.seenontvproducts.net/brushcleaner/index.html

It is superb for cleaning brushes but the one I have had for about 15
years
is on its last legs.

Then, "A.Clews" -who self-evidentally has no experience if the device
interjected; -

Surely this is never going to clean a brush completely?

OT DOES! brushes and roller pads - using the appropriate attachments ...

I can't believe
that just spinning a brush or roller with a power drill will remove *all*
the paint.

Wbich perhaps exp;lains why you're almost unheard of whilst the inventor us
well known?

For one thing it wouldn't inspire confidence in the adhesive
qualities of the paint :-)

Most people clean their brushes while the paint is still wet. Allowing a
brush to 'dry' until the paint fotms a solid and adhered structure is _not _
recommended.
BYW; if you 'smudge' a freshly painted surface (with your sleeve. perhaps?)
and paint comes off .. what does that incident inspire in you of the
adhesive qualities of the paint?
Have you heard of the techniques of 'tag-tolling; faux-marbleing;
wood-graining; varnishing; etc. etc.?
Whar confidence in the adhesive qualities of the paint do these techniques
inspire?

Also I can't believe you could spin a roller or brush fast enough with the
drill without something self-destructing, unless the roller or brush is
perfectly balanced.

Quite a lot of opinion for something you admit you've no experience of!
Why not pop down the road to the sheds and purchase a set, experiment with
it , -THEN- opine on its efficacy?

Unless of course I'm missing something here...

--
Andy Clews
University of Sussex

--

BRIAN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Before starting to paint (after bitter experience) I discipline myself into
setting up a 'cleaning station' _outdoors-.

I use an old plastic pedal bin as the container to spin the brushes into -
it now has an interesting ring of multicoloured paint about half way down
(on the inside).
On an adjacent old workmate I place containers of the appropriate cleaning
solution - water, white spirits, whatever. As it's outdoors. I'm not
troubled by fumes, etc .... the workmates holes are useful for placing the
drill's chuck key and parking smaller brush handles.

The process is spin off the residual paint, dip into the cleaning fluid.;
spin off again; flick the ,by now, dried bristles. -The last step is not
mandatory - but it still gives satisfaction : ).

I'll now clean brushes before having a tea-break - it only takes a minute.

The only drawback I've encountered is that the brush holder's springs are
destroyers of non-solid handles- the cheap packs of brushes seem to have
hollow handles while the 'better' brands of brushes have solid handles. BTW;
'Dandy' market a set of brush -heads and handles with a demountable hex
shaft. The idea is that one inserts a hex snap-on chuck into the and pops
on/off a brush head for cleaning.

--

Brian

on

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 7 Mar, 18:44, wrote:

How are brushes held in the cylinder of the paintbrush version?

Looking into the 'brush' device, you'll se two tightly wound steel(?) spring
'thingies'.
The brush handle has to be forcibly pushed past this 'obstruction'. small
(thin) handles are easy; big (thick) handles are harder to push past the
springs. The manufacturer's blurb claims that the secret is in the springs
which took years to perfect. The springs exhibit a self-cantering tendency
for the brush and limit the amount of 'wobble' experienced by the drill
holder (YOU).

As I've mentioned in another post - the springs will turn any hollow handled
(aka cheap) brush into a collection of shards .

--

BRIAN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
Anyone know where I can get this paint brush cleaner or something similar
in the UK at a reasonable price, not the £20 I can only find it at!
http://www.seenontvproducts.net/brushcleaner/index.html

It is superb for cleaning brushes but the one I have had for about 15
years is on its last legs.

I bought mine from E Bay a couple of years ago, IIRC it cost me about £7
incl postage. Mine was only suitable for 1 1/2" rollers but *******ising an
old roller frame I made it work on 1 3/4" aswell. The springs on the brush
holder are very strong so the brush wont fly out. They really DO work!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
Anyone know where I can get this paint brush cleaner or something similar
in the UK at a reasonable price, not the £20 I can only find it at!
http://www.seenontvproducts.net/brushcleaner/index.html

It is superb for cleaning brushes but the one I have had for about 15
years is on its last legs.

I bought mine from E Bay a couple of years ago, IIRC it cost me about £7
incl postage. Mine was only suitable for 1 1/2" rollers but *******ising an
old roller frame I made it work on 1 3/4" aswell. The springs on the brush
holder are very strong so the brush wont fly out. They really DO work!

HTH

John

Sorry if this apeears twice but not sure it 'went' first time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
Anyone know where I can get this paint brush cleaner or something similar

in
the UK at a reasonable price, not the £20 I can only find it at!
http://www.seenontvproducts.net/brushcleaner/index.html

It is superb for cleaning brushes but the one I have had for about 15

years
is on its last legs.

Cheers

Steven.

More hassle than its worth,I'd probaly have hand cleaned a roller and three
brushes eda a cup of tea and read the paper by the time you have rigged the
brush into that contraption,put it in the drill and started to clean it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not sure but there's also the fact that spirit mixed with paint can
end up all over your hands while you're doing the cleaning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
m...

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
Anyone know where I can get this paint brush cleaner or something similar

in
the UK at a reasonable price, not the £20 I can only find it at!
http://www.seenontvproducts.net/brushcleaner/index.html

It is superb for cleaning brushes but the one I have had for about 15

years
is on its last legs.

Cheers

Steven.

More hassle than its worth,I'd probaly have hand cleaned a roller and
three
brushes eda a cup of tea and read the paper by the time you have rigged
the
brush into that contraption,put it in the drill and started to clean it.

Absolutely no chance.
Takes less than 2 minutes and most of that time is spent looking for the
chuck key ;o)

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:
wrote in message
On 7 Mar, 18:44, wrote:

How are brushes held in the cylinder of the paintbrush version?

Looking into the 'brush' device, you'll se two tightly wound steel(?) spring
'thingies'.
The brush handle has to be forcibly pushed past this 'obstruction'. small
(thin) handles are easy; big (thick) handles are harder to push past the
springs. The manufacturer's blurb claims that the secret is in the springs
which took years to perfect. The springs exhibit a self-cantering tendency
for the brush and limit the amount of 'wobble' experienced by the drill
holder (YOU).

Won't this device tend to knacker the drill's bearings though, due to
the uneven loading? Maybe it's something to reserve a 'special' drill
for...?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
m...

More hassle than its worth,I'd probaly have hand cleaned a roller and
three
brushes eda a cup of tea and read the paper by the time you have rigged
the
brush into that contraption,put it in the drill and started to clean it.

Fancy a race!! The procedure goes thus, tighten spigot into drill,(10
secs), attach brush or roller (10 secs), spin drill (30 secs), dip
brush/roller in water and respin (60 secs). These times are if you go
SLOOOWLY so a roller cleaned and DRY in under 2 mins, by hand I don't
thinkso! Also the big benefit of the cleaners is the little amount of water
you use when cleaning emulsion rollers and brushes. Also the item can be
reused straight away if necessary without waiting for it to dry

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Well if you are not sure ... how can you say and I quote:
"the fact is" ??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

- He says he's not sure whether fumes from white spirit are highly
flammable;

- He says it's a fact that spirit mixed with paint can end up on your hands.

Seems reasonable enough to me...?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

As David says ....and I actually said 'the fact that'. So if you want
to quote me, try to actually quote what I said as well as placing it
in the correct context.
Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

You are right of course ... I see now that the "Not sure" was
referring to the white spirit highly flammable .. above.

I saw your .. not sure.. but as a completely new unrelated
paragraph.. not an answer to the white spirit question.
Easy mistake when someone does not point out what they are not sure
about :-)
You are sure .. . aren't you?
Sure you are :-)