Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computer question

I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Mary

Ask in a computer group perhaps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2007 17:54, Mary Fisher wrote:

I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a year,
graph style.

as a timeline?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

You want someone to code this up for you or you want to hack something
together yourself?
If the latter, M$Excel is probably the simplest solution

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"visionset" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year, graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

You want someone to code this up for you or you want to hack something
together yourself?
If the latter, M$Excel is probably the simplest solution

I can't work Excel but I have several grandchildren who can. I'll see if it
works.

Thanks,

Mary

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SJP wrote:

Ask in a computer group perhaps?

Surely as and when you can make a valid contribution to the group may be
the time to comments on posts that don't meet your approval.

Until then perhaps it would be best if you just go back to saying and
doing nothing.

IMHO of course.

http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
http://trade-price-supplements.co.uk - Bulk Order Supps. at Trade Prices
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Do you have Outlook?
It does what you want if I understand what you want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Visual Basic might suit a beginner.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year, graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Do you have Outlook?

Yes.

It does what you want if I understand what you want.

How?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Visual Basic might suit a beginner.

um. Sounds very complicated - as though I'd have to use a language. I'm no
good at that, never have been. I use Dreamweaver for our website because I
need wisiwig:-(

I know when I'm beat - I first tried writing a basic program on a BBC
machine. and several others since then.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May, 17:54, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Mary

lightweight: cybermatrix reminder.
command line: nncron lite
fat & full featured: sunbird

alt.comp.freeware would be a better place to ask.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

Do you have Outlook?

Yes.

Note that Outlook Outlook Express

How?

Click the calendar button, then choose the view you want in the Current
View entry of the View menu.

Failing that, loads of freeware ones to choose from:

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a...p-f=iso-8859-1
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ohe36

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Have you looked at Google's Diary facility?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Cain" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year, graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Have you looked at Google's Diary facility?

No, I shall. Thank you,

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher brought next idea :
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Mary

Take a look at MS Outlook, if you have it already.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
d...
In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Visual Basic might suit a beginner.

um. Sounds very complicated - as though I'd have to use a language. I'm no
good at that, never have been.

Sorry, I thought you wanted a DIY solution. Someone suggested Excel and
on second thoughts I agree with them (better than VB). But I think you'd
still need to do some of it in VBA.

I use Dreamweaver for our website because I
need wisiwig:-(

Unfortunately DW's wysiwyg (note spelling) won't show you what everyone
*else* gets, which is the important thing after all.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year, graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Do you have Outlook?
It does what you want if I understand what you want.

I went to Outlook and hit Calendar but I can't see a way of getting what I
want.

I want to mark a particular event which happens every couple of weeks or so
into a graph form so that its regularity or otherwise can easily be seen.

I could do it with a & b axes on graph paper but I don't want to have to do
it with pencil and paper (because I'd lose it).

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Cain" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year, graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Have you looked at Google's Diary facility?

I just did, it has a huge number of features but not what I want.

Thanks anyway,

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Visual Basic might suit a beginner.

um. Sounds very complicated - as though I'd have to use a language. I'm no
good at that, never have been. I use Dreamweaver for our website because I
need wisiwig:-(

You need Yorkshire Basic

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events
over a year, graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Just in case it's the sort of thingy you're looking for, try googling
on: gantt chart excel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
I want to mark a particular event which happens every couple of
weeks or so into a graph form so that its regularity or otherwise
can easily be seen. I could do it with a & b axes on graph paper but
I don't want to have to do it with pencil and paper (because I'd
lose it).

Excel (or any other spreadsheet - does Google have an online one?)

Col. A = date
Col. B = event (put a 1 in for event otherwise leave blank)

Then you can get a graph of dates along the bottom axis and value 0-1
along the side axis, with bars of value 1 for each time the event
happens.

As a further refinement - if she was recording, for example, every time she
was ravished by 'spouse' then, instead of using a '1' she could use a
variable number which reflected the quality of the event. g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
I want to mark a particular event which happens every couple of weeks or
so into a graph form so that its regularity or otherwise can easily be
seen.
I could do it with a & b axes on graph paper but I don't want to have to
do it with pencil and paper (because I'd lose it).

Excel (or any other spreadsheet - does Google have an online one?)

Col. A = date
Col. B = event (put a 1 in for event otherwise leave blank)

Then you can get a graph of dates along the bottom axis and value 0-1
along the side axis, with bars of value 1 for each time the event happens.

More advanced manipulation (look up "grouping" and COUNT() in help)
would get you the number of events occurring monthly, etc.

Is this what you want?

Owain

I had a play with Excel last night and got it to do something but not in the
way you suggest - which of course is far superior! I'll give it another go,
thanks.

Looking up grouping etc is a bit beyond me a.t.m. but I might jump in with
both feet. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Owain wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
I want to mark a particular event which happens every couple of
weeks or so into a graph form so that its regularity or otherwise
can easily be seen. I could do it with a & b axes on graph paper but
I don't want to have to do it with pencil and paper (because I'd
lose it).

Excel (or any other spreadsheet - does Google have an online one?)

Col. A = date
Col. B = event (put a 1 in for event otherwise leave blank)

Then you can get a graph of dates along the bottom axis and value 0-1
along the side axis, with bars of value 1 for each time the event
happens.

As a further refinement - if she was recording, for example, every time
she was ravished by 'spouse' then, instead of using a '1' she could use a
variable number which reflected the quality of the event. g

I don't need a graph for that, there wouldn't be enough cells.

If you really want to know (it's boring) it's about a medical condition I
have and I want to record incidents as a graph so that I can see if they are
increasing or decreasing over time.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
id...
In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year,
graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Visual Basic might suit a beginner.

um. Sounds very complicated - as though I'd have to use a language. I'm no
good at that, never have been.

Sorry, I thought you wanted a DIY solution. Someone suggested Excel and
on second thoughts I agree with them (better than VB). But I think you'd
still need to do some of it in VBA.

Well, if you want to put in a nail you don't make the nail and hammer
yourself, do you? :-)

I use Dreamweaver for our website because I
need wisiwig:-(

Unfortunately DW's wysiwyg (note spelling)

Sorry, I saw it as I hit Send :-(

won't show you what everyone
*else* gets, which is the important thing after all.

I keep looking at it myself. Have to to make sure it's up to date. It's just
a product list.

Mary

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events
over a year, graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Just in case it's the sort of thingy you're looking for, try googling
on: gantt chart excel

That looks worth reading, thanks.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Outlook has a timeline view but I don't think it will scale over many
months.
It works OK with weekly and monthly views.
It shows things like when an email/telephone call is received.. when you
replied..

I think the excel graph mentioned by Owain is probably the easiest but it
still requires you the enter the data.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

If you really want to know (it's boring) it's about a medical condition I
have and I want to record incidents as a graph so that I can see if they are
increasing or decreasing over time.

Sounds like a simple XY series will do what you want then... time on the
X axis, and events on the Y.

Two columns in Excel. First one contains the starting date, then either
manually enter additional dates under that when you want discrete
dates[1], or put in a formula of "=A1+1" (assuming A1 is the cell
above), highlight that cell and a bunch of them below and hit CTRL D to
duplicate them down if you want a continuous run of days. Stick the
number of events in the column beside as and when you have an event to
record.

[1] Entering discrete dates will work for event that happen only every
so often. A continuous run of them will be better for something that
happens at least once a day, but is variable.

(example attached to an email flying your way)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Oh I think I'm capable of doing that :-)

That is, unless my condition's symptoms become full-time ... :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

I look forward to it!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events
over a year, graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Just in case it's the sort of thingy you're looking for, try googling
on: gantt chart excel

That looks worth reading, thanks.

Mary

I think there are some blood pressure trackers kicking about the web in
Excel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Oh I think I'm capable of doing that :-)

That is, unless my condition's symptoms become full-time ... :-(

That would make it migraines or ****ed then. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Excel (or any other spreadsheet - does Google have an online one?)
Col. A = date
Col. B = event (put a 1 in for event otherwise leave blank)
Then you can get a graph of dates along the bottom axis and value 0-1
along the side axis, with bars of value 1 for each time the event
happens.

I had a play with Excel last night and got it to do something but not in
the way you suggest - which of course is far superior!

It might not be - it might not actually work!

Well, I like to ingratiate myself with some round here :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Oh I think I'm capable of doing that :-)

That is, unless my condition's symptoms become full-time ... :-(

That would make it migraines or ****ed then. ;-)

I don't do either of those.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
d...
Unfortunately DW's wysiwyg
won't show you what everyone
*else* gets, which is the important thing after all.

I keep looking at it myself. Have to to make sure it's up to date. It's just
a product list.

That's good, but what I meant was, DW's wysiwyg won't show you what your
pages look like in the entire range of browsers, versions, screen sizes,
and other settings that your potential customers will be using. If it's
just a product list and you keep it simple, it might well be OK, but for
anything more complicated you should keep a close eye on the code behind
the wysiwyg. DW can help with its "Target Browser Check" report, but you
need a decent grasp of HTML and possibly CSS to make good use of the
results.

I'm helping a friend get started in web design with Microsoft Expression
Web, which also encourages wysiwyg design. His first effort looked great
in Expression Web and IE, but you should have seen his face fall when I
showed him what it looked like in Firefox. I hope you won't have that
problem but it's important to be aware of its existence.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Nobody's ever complained, in fact we've had a lot of compliments over the
years. If there were a problem it would have been pointed out.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Do you have Outlook?

Yes.

Note that Outlook Outlook Express

How?

Click the calendar button, then choose the view you want in the Current
View entry of the View menu.

I couldn't find a 'calendar' button!

Failing that, loads of freeware ones to choose from:

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a...p-f=iso-8859-1
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ohe36

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I want to have a calendar, on my pc, which will display events over a
year, graph style.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do but I don't know how.

Any techies here who can put it in easy language?

Do you have Outlook?

Yes.

It does what you want if I understand what you want.

How?

See journal

Which journal is that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Holmes wrote:

Yes.

Note that Outlook Outlook Express

How?

Click the calendar button, then choose the view you want in the Current
View entry of the View menu.

I couldn't find a 'calendar' button!

In which program? (and what version)?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
Alan Holmes wrote:
I couldn't find a 'calendar' button!

In which program? (and what version)?

I think that between us we have solved Mary's immediate problem by using
Excel.

Owain

Yes, but I haven't got round to using it yet ... sufficient unto the day ..

Mary

Computer question Charlie East Electronics Repair 19 January 14th 07 10:55 PM
OT Computer Question Jack Hayes Metalworking 6 December 17th 05 08:59 PM
computer question SteveB Home Repair 20 November 27th 05 03:27 PM
computer question SteveB Metalworking 8 November 26th 05 08:06 PM
Computer Question Tom Electronics Repair 6 April 21st 05 01:27 PM