Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB

Default computer question

Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:27:54 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

How many colors and what resolution do you have ir set to? 640X480 and
16 colors looks pretty bad.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

You might has this effect if your connection speed is slow.
Some pictures have such format so when they partially loaded they have have extremely
low resolution(mosaic effect) Try to wait and see if this goes away.

SteveB wrote:
Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby

Default computer question /OT

SteveB wrote:
Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Of course we know everything here on r.c.m, but even so
you might need to find a photo or computer newsgroup to
get a good answer. Someone on rec.photo.digital might
know the answer or know which newsgroup would be good ~
there are about nine dozen Outlook Express support
newsgroups.

Anyhow, my first guess is that your ISP is caching
photos upstream of you, and severely compressing
them to save space and use less bandwidth.

If you've had any changes made to your system since the
problem started, in theory you could back the changes out
to fix the problem; with difficulty if the changes were made
by automatic Microsoft updates.

It may be your browser is having trouble with progressive
jpegs, and only downloading the first (coarsest) iteration.
I've seen several webpages saying stuff like "It's important
to note that some software is incapable of displaying
progressive JPEGs, most notably, the free Imaging program
bundled with many versions of Windows." However, if your
Outlook Express used to work that's probably not it.

Note, http://www.robertmfg.com/sitehelp.html has some pertinent
suggestions, including cache clearing and reloading single images.
-jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you can display a Jpeg image on your local harddrive in your
webbrowser then there is nothing wrong with your system.

if you have never used your browser in this way simply enter
c:\foldername\filename to display the file.

If your ISP is providing a web accelerator service you need to check
the quality settings for it, otherwise select the image , right click
and select display image, and see if it displays OK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Stauffer

SteveB wrote:
Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

One possibility is that you are not waiting long enough for a slow
connection or slow server.

There is an option these days when displaying a JPEG picture in html,
and the picture builds up in very coarse pseudo-pixels first, then
continually refines the image to smaller and smaller pixels.

Wait a long time and see if this happens. If it never gets better, then
something is wrong.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
[...]

It never gets better. I have rightclicked my desktop and tweaked those
properties. Gone to control panel and hardware controller. Called Cox
Communications. I think I am just going to drop a video card in there and
see what happens. Probably just switch one from another computer.

STeve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mr electron

Sounds like you are running at 16 colors. Maybe a driver issue.

SteveB wrote:
Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

LCD Computer Monitor Question Chris Electronics Repair 5 January 18th 05 02:03 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Shop computer question PrecisionMachinisT Metalworking 32 July 5th 04 04:38 AM
Newbie question, 3M LCD projector shows computer screen during [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 May 5th 04 06:36 PM