Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

Default computer question

Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

SteveB wrote:

Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

Have you got your screen resolution set properly?

You can probably access it from that same control panel / display
window under "Settings." There's a slider in the lower right that
on my machine is labeled "Screen area." Slide it to the right
(if possible) and click "Apply."

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

--

Thinking either that, or hes got his colors set to 256...

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

CBHVAC wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Good thought. Set on that same item of Control Panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Miller

Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures
look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there
about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it
was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

This is a good group for computer questions.

http://nospin.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

"CJT" wrote in message
CBHVAC wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Nope. That doesn't do it. Color set at highest - 32bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

"Bill Miller" wrote

This is a good group for computer questions.

Oh, I know. That's why I asked here.

STeve

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

SteveB wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

CBHVAC wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Remember the Simpsons episode with Xena, where she gave a press
conference before being abducted by Comic Book Man?

A wizard did it.

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:50:53 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

Have you installed a web accelerator recently? I have heard this
can cause your symptom. I do not know as I have cable.

*You* can get the same effect by using a cable decelerator.

Well, not really.

To the OP, is this a home computer or an office computer. This ng is
only for home stuff.

2. Hhave you thought about telling us what OS you have. That should
start almost every question. We're not mindreaders.

Freebie. Check out "Display". Better yet, check out everything on
the control panel if you have one, so you'll know what they do.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"SteveB" wrote in message
Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the
pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small
chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff
there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and
that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Bill Miller" wrote

This is a good group for computer questions.

Oh, I know. That's why I asked here.

STeve

LOL
You did click on the link, under "this is a good group for computer
questions" that he was referring to????

Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

"calhoun" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Bill Miller" wrote

This is a good group for computer questions.

Oh, I know. That's why I asked here.

STeve

LOL
You did click on the link, under "this is a good group for computer
questions" that he was referring to????

Yes, and I got to a huge site that was hard to navigate, and wanted me to
register. I already get enough spam.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:04:42 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Bill Miller" wrote

This is a good group for computer questions.

Oh, I know. That's why I asked here.

STeve

STeve,

Try to flush your browser cache and or any *.tmp files. Since you
checked resolutions, try re-installing the drivers after you remove
them. Files can be corrupted.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Try to flush your browser cache and or any *.tmp files. Since you
checked resolutions, try re-installing the drivers after you remove
them. Files can be corrupted.

did not see what OS he had, but "System Restore" with XP sure fixes a lot
of problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Point your usenet news reader to;

24hoursupport.helpdesk

A very bhelpfu, though frequently ribald, newsgroup, with the best helpdesk
for computer issues which I have ever experienced.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"SteveB" wrote in message

"calhoun" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Bill Miller" wrote

This is a good group for computer questions.

Oh, I know. That's why I asked here.

STeve

LOL
You did click on the link, under "this is a good group for computer
questions" that he was referring to????

Yes, and I got to a huge site that was hard to navigate, and wanted me to
register. I already get enough spam.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:16:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message

Try to flush your browser cache and or any *.tmp files. Since you
checked resolutions, try re-installing the drivers after you remove
them. Files can be corrupted.

did not see what OS he had, but "System Restore" with XP sure fixes a lot
of problems.

His header gave it away, IE 6.x.x.x.x. - cannot be removed from his
OS. Perhaps an OS update/ web site hijacked something. Check for
viruses/adware, etc.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

Probably the easiest way to take care of the problem is to restore your
computer to an earlier date when the problem did not exist. You want to
do a restore NOT recover. The restore feature should be in the programs
group menu. Programs accessories system tools system restore. At
least that's where xp has it.

If the problem is just with your web browser then you could try a
repair. Not sure, but I believe this option is done via the "control
panel" "add/remove programs". Been awhile since I've farted with my
pc.

My kids used to play a game off a cd-rom that would always mess the
graphics up. The only way I could fix the problem was through a system
restore.

Good Luck
-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

SteveB wrote:
Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

You browser options probably have a check for "show image placeholders",
an option that allows the display to forego downloading images and makes
for faster browsing. In IE, it is in tools/internet options/advanced.
In Mozilla, in Edit/Preferences/Privacy Security/Images, there is a
button to choose "do not download any images". Sounds like you have
placeholders displaying and no images downloading.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

SteveB wrote:

"Bill Miller" wrote

This is a good group for computer questions.

Oh, I know. That's why I asked here.

STeve

It's pretty risky to ask computer questions in ahr. What would be,
normally, a 10-second adjustment in your software settings will get you
advice to shop for a new tool costing at least $100. )
Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:27:27 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Maybe you're using Mosaic browser?

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Posted to alt.home.repair
bumtracks

wrote:

Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it
was
functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Maybe you're using Mosaic browser?

Maybe the screen is shattered, you might have to look real close with a
magnifying lens - Might be its just cobwebs.

LCD Computer Monitor Question Chris Electronics Repair 5 January 18th 05 02:03 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Shop computer question PrecisionMachinisT Metalworking 32 July 5th 04 04:38 AM
Newbie question, 3M LCD projector shows computer screen during [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 May 5th 04 06:36 PM