Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jack Hayes

Default OT Computer Question

Hi All; Has anyone found an adapter that will connect a PCMCIA Hard Drive
(type II) to a USB port?

Thanks Jack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Perry Murlless

Try http://www.cyberguys.com

"Jack Hayes" wrote in message
Hi All; Has anyone found an adapter that will connect a PCMCIA Hard Drive
(type II) to a USB port?

Thanks Jack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:35:08 -0500, "Jack Hayes"
in rec.crafts.metalworking
wrote:

Hi All; Has anyone found an adapter that will connect a PCMCIA Hard Drive
(type II) to a USB port?

Thanks Jack

Are you trying to connect one of those hard drives that is normally
inserted in a Type II slot, but wnat to connect to a USB port?

or

You have computer with a Type II slot and need a USB port?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jack Hayes

wrote:

Hi All; Has anyone found an adapter that will connect a PCMCIA Hard Drive
(type II) to a USB port?

Thanks Jack

Are you trying to connect one of those hard drives that is normally
inserted in a Type II slot, but wnat to connect to a USB port?

or

You have computer with a Type II slot and need a USB port?

What I need to do is read from a PCMCIA drive to USB on a desk top. Can both
type II and III drives be read by the same device?

J Hayes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:56:23 -0500, "Jack Hayes"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hi All; Has anyone found an adapter that will connect a PCMCIA Hard Drive
(type II) to a USB port?

Thanks Jack

Are you trying to connect one of those hard drives that is normally
inserted in a Type II slot, but wnat to connect to a USB port?

or

You have computer with a Type II slot and need a USB port?

What I need to do is read from a PCMCIA drive to USB on a desk top. Can both
type II and III drives be read by the same device?

J Hayes

Checki the spec for some of the card readers (Sandisk, Lexar, etc..)
and see if they support your PCMCIA drive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Jack Hayes :

wrote:

Hi All; Has anyone found an adapter that will connect a PCMCIA Hard Drive
(type II) to a USB port?

[ ... ]

Are you trying to connect one of those hard drives that is normally
inserted in a Type II slot, but wnat to connect to a USB port?

[ ... ]

What I need to do is read from a PCMCIA drive to USB on a desk top. Can both
type II and III drives be read by the same device?

Hmm ... do you have any slots left on the computer? Any drive
bays still empty? There are available PCI cards which connect to a dual
PCMCIA socket in a drive bay. These will take Type-I and Type-II in
either slot, and Type-III only in the bottom slot with nothing in the
top slot. (I'm presuming that you have a Windows machine.)

There are also some which do the same, but which have a SCSI
interface, which is what I am using in my Sun Ultra(SPARC)-2. And in
that, I use adaptors from PCMCIA to CF (Compact Flash) to read images
from my Nikon D70 camera. And yes -- it can read the PCMCIA hard drives
as well, as I use those in an older camera which doesn't understand CF
cards.

You can find both types of adaptors on eBay.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:56:23 -0500, "Jack Hayes"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hi All; Has anyone found an adapter that will connect a PCMCIA Hard Drive
(type II) to a USB port?

Thanks Jack

Are you trying to connect one of those hard drives that is normally
inserted in a Type II slot, but wnat to connect to a USB port?

or

You have computer with a Type II slot and need a USB port?

What I need to do is read from a PCMCIA drive to USB on a desk top. Can both
type II and III drives be read by the same device?

J Hayes

Frys, in California, sell them, for about $25 or so. Ebay sells them
also for about $15 and up

Here is a single example

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lexar-USB-PCMCIA...QQcmdZViewItem

btw, many..not all..but many of the Combo Readers..read memory sticks
etc etc..also read PCMCIA cards.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

LCD Computer Monitor Question Chris Electronics Repair 5 January 18th 05 02:03 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Shop computer question PrecisionMachinisT Metalworking 32 July 5th 04 04:38 AM
Newbie question, 3M LCD projector shows computer screen during [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 May 5th 04 06:36 PM