Posted to uk.d-i-y
dkh dkh is offline

Default Hard Disk crash - rebuild with vista?

Just had my main hd crash on my main desktop pc.
Its unrecoverable so i'm faced with a RMA replacement and a rebuild

Given that im gonna have to rebuild Im wondering is now
the time to jump ship to vista ?

Ive got a athlon 64 3500+ and 1gb memory
graphics card is a geforce 6600gt (agp)

Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move at this stage
and if so which version (32bit or 64 bit ?) of the premium edition

Opinions anyone

Thanks in advance....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-16 19:38:30 +0000, dkh said:

Just had my main hd crash on my main desktop pc.
Its unrecoverable so i'm faced with a RMA replacement and a rebuild

Given that im gonna have to rebuild Im wondering is now
the time to jump ship to vista ?

Ive got a athlon 64 3500+ and 1gb memory
graphics card is a geforce 6600gt (agp)

Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move at this stage
and if so which version (32bit or 64 bit ?) of the premium edition

Opinions anyone

Thanks in advance....

Vista would not be a sensible move at this stage, or probably at any other.

Here is your opportunity to install an operating system on your PC for the
first time in its life.

Clearly it will thank you for installing a Linux distribution and the
extra performance,
functionality and stability will amaze you.

The best part is that for the money that you will save by not putting
money into the pockets
of Gates and henchman (Linux and applications are essentially free at
point of purchase)
you will be able to afford a respectable backup arrangement for the machine.

Yes, this is your opportunity to return from the Dark Side into the Light.

There are 64bit versions too. Still free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dkh dkh is offline

On 2007-03-16 19:38:30 +0000, dkh said:

[...]

Lol
I appreciate the sentiments (already have 2 debian linux pcs in the
house) but i need to have a windows pc for other non linux stuff and i
need to have microsoft office etc (ive tried the linux versions and they
dont support the advanced features of word for eg)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dkh dkh is offline

On 2007-03-16 19:38:30 +0000, dkh said:

[...]

oops, forgive my stupidity, please ignore this thread - i meant to post the
original query in uk.comp.homebuilt but a slip of the fingers and i ended
up in uk.d-i-y
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dkh
writes
Just had my main hd crash on my main desktop pc.
Its unrecoverable so i'm faced with a RMA replacement and a rebuild

Given that im gonna have to rebuild Im wondering is now
the time to jump ship to vista ?

Ive got a athlon 64 3500+ and 1gb memory
graphics card is a geforce 6600gt (agp)

Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move at this stage
and if so which version (32bit or 64 bit ?) of the premium edition

Opinions anyone

Thanks in advance....

Well I'm still very happy with WIN 2000 Pro which does all I need:-)

However here is one opinion;!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9...elated&search=
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-16 20:17:13 +0000, dkh said:

Lol
I appreciate the sentiments (already have 2 debian linux pcs in the
house) but i need to have a windows pc for other non linux stuff and i
need to have microsoft office

Oh dear. I didn't think that anybody *needed* to have Orifice.

etc (ive tried the linux versions and they
dont support the advanced features of word for eg)

Does anyone use those?

At any rate, have you thought about running Linux on the machine
and then running the Redmond malware under VMware?

The machine is plenty powerful enough to do this and it as the advantage
that you can keep virtual machines (essentially files) with everything
installed
and ready to go. Then when the Seattle **** breaks beyond time economic
repair, as it always does, you can simply drop in another copy and be
up and going
again in about 2 minutes flat.

I'm using a similar technique for a couple of legacy conferencing
applications that
run only on Washingtonware and are not yet available for the Mac and it works
very well indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-16 20:21:11 +0000, dkh said:

oops, forgive my stupidity, please ignore this thread - i meant to post the
original query in uk.comp.homebuilt but a slip of the fingers and i ended
up in uk.d-i-y

Yes but you'll get far more informed answers here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dkh" wrote in message
. ..
Just had my main hd crash on my main desktop pc.
Its unrecoverable so i'm faced with a RMA replacement and a rebuild

Given that im gonna have to rebuild Im wondering is now
the time to jump ship to vista ?

Ive got a athlon 64 3500+ and 1gb memory
graphics card is a geforce 6600gt (agp)

Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move at this stage
and if so which version (32bit or 64 bit ?) of the premium edition

Opinions anyone

Its an operating system.
You spend 99% of your time in applications not the OS.
Unless you want to use one or more of the applications supplied with vista
why waste the cash?

Thanks in advance....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-16 21:33:21 +0000, "dennis@home"
said:

"dkh" wrote in message
. ..
Just had my main hd crash on my main desktop pc.
Its unrecoverable so i'm faced with a RMA replacement and a rebuild

Given that im gonna have to rebuild Im wondering is now
the time to jump ship to vista ?

Ive got a athlon 64 3500+ and 1gb memory
graphics card is a geforce 6600gt (agp)

Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move at this stage
and if so which version (32bit or 64 bit ?) of the premium edition

Opinions anyone

Its an operating system.

In the minimalist definition of that. Almost.

You spend 99% of your time in applications not the OS.

One would like to hope so.

Unless you want to use one or more of the applications supplied with vista
why waste the cash?

That's true anyway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

At any rate, have you thought about running Linux on the machine
and then running the Redmond malware under VMware?

I'm doing the opposite and running SUSE in M$ virtual PC.
At least that way my scanner works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-16 21:50:06 +0000, "dennis@home"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

At any rate, have you thought about running Linux on the machine
and then running the Redmond malware under VMware?

I'm doing the opposite and running SUSE in M$ virtual PC.
At least that way my scanner works.

Hmmmm..... Never tried that. Seems like one of those inverted pyramid
puzzles.

Matthew 7:24-27 springs to mind

24"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into
practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain
came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that
house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into
practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain
came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that
house, and it fell with a great crash."

It all fits. Clearly Heaven runs Linux and Hades runs M$

and is all here

http://www.zejn.si/~natan/666.html

Sane works very well for me...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:50:03 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

There are 64bit versions too. Still free.

yebbut there's a lot of non-free stuff (like Acrobat reader) which doesn't
have 64-bit versions, and Automatix doesn't install 32-bit versions of all
of them for you so you've got to manually configure a 32-bit chrooted
environment ... or something: haven't got round to it yet (I run 32-bit
apps off another box via ssh -X).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:38:30 GMT, dkh wrote:

Just had my main hd crash on my main desktop pc.
Its unrecoverable so i'm faced with a RMA replacement and a rebuild

Given that im gonna have to rebuild Im wondering is now
the time to jump ship to vista ?

Suggest that you do not.

I have Vista Business 64 bit AMD64bit 2gig memory.

There is so much software which just does not work - I have had to
dual boot my machine to keep many old applications working (eg System
Mechanic, Real Player, Nero to name but three) working.

Aero is interesting : BUT beware it is not part of all Vistas.

The disadvantages outweigh the advantages (if there are any)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-03-16 21:50:06 +0000, "dennis@home"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, but didn't the BC BC insist that 'cos of the sand it had to have
plies?...

It all fits. Clearly Heaven runs Linux and Hades runs M$

and is all here

http://www.zejn.si/~natan/666.html

Sane works very well for me...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Stumbles
writes
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:50:03 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

There are 64bit versions too. Still free.

yebbut there's a lot of non-free stuff (like Acrobat reader) which doesn't
have 64-bit versions, and Automatix doesn't install 32-bit versions of all
of them for you so you've got to manually configure a 32-bit chrooted
environment ... or something: haven't got round to it yet (I run 32-bit
apps off another box via ssh -X).

Acrobat reader?, pah! its more like bloated reader.

This is much lighter quicker and free

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-16 23:56:33 +0000, John Stumbles said:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:50:03 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

There are 64bit versions too. Still free.

yebbut there's a lot of non-free stuff (like Acrobat reader) which doesn't
have 64-bit versions, and Automatix doesn't install 32-bit versions of all
of them for you so you've got to manually configure a 32-bit chrooted
environment ... or something: haven't got round to it yet (I run 32-bit
apps off another box via ssh -X).

There you go.

Far better than RDP anyway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-03-16 21:50:06 +0000, "dennis@home"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

You would think so, wouldn't you? All of which demonstrates that regulation
does not protect against basic misadventure.

I was looking for the taxation angle, but couldn't see it - unless they had
landfill tax in biblical times of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:50:03 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

There are 64bit versions too. Still free.

yebbut there's a lot of non-free stuff (like Acrobat reader) which doesn't
have 64-bit versions, and Automatix doesn't install 32-bit versions of all
of them for you so you've got to manually configure a 32-bit chrooted
environment ... or something: haven't got round to it yet (I run 32-bit
apps off another box via ssh -X).

Does 64 bit Linux really behave this badly?
Take a look at Solaris x86/x64 -- I run a mixture of 32 and 64 bit
apps without knowing or caring which is which, and certainly without
having to build different environments to run them in.

If you want a GNU look-and-feel, then you might look at NexentaOS
which is Debian/Ubuntu with a Solaris kernel, although I don't
know how they handle mixed 32/64 bit applications, and given it
sounds like the problem you mention above is a user-land problem,
not a kernel one, it might be same problem as on Linux.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:06:49 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article , John Stumbles
writes

yebbut there's a lot of non-free stuff (like Acrobat reader) which
doesn't have 64-bit versions,

Acrobat reader?, pah! its more like bloated reader.
This is much lighter quicker and free
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

But it's for windoze :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:10:00 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Take a look at Solaris x86/x64

But not AMD64 by the look of it.

-- I run a mixture of 32 and 64 bit
apps without knowing or caring which is which, and certainly without
having to build different environments to run them in.

But do you have a Realplayer, acroread, or flash 8 or 9?

If you want a GNU look-and-feel

No thanks ptui! - I'm a KDE weenie ;-) But it looks like they've got
kde in the repository, so that's OK.

I don't know how they handle mixed 32/64 bit applications, and given
it sounds like the problem you mention above is a user-land problem, not
a kernel one, it might be same problem as on Linux.

The problem AIUI is that the shrink-wrapped stuff expects certain
libraries and if Shrink-wrap Inc doesn't do a version of their app for
AMD64 the workaround is to install the IA32 version along with IA32 libs
in a chrooted environment. I wouldn't expect to get that problem with the
solaris distro because you probably can't get even the 32-bit versions for
it :-) Looks like Nexenta's equivalent workaround is BrandZ "Allows to
run Linux userland".

BTW I hope the distro is more stable than the wibble - try following the
'homepage' link from
http://www.gnusolaris.org/archive/el...le/newpkg_main !

Anyway the vmware version looks worth a spin - thanks for the pointer!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Owain owain47125
@stirlingcity.coo.uk writes
tony sayer wrote:
Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move

Well I'm still very happy with WIN 2000 Pro which does all I need:-)

I feel much the same way about Win ME.

Owain

Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:10:00 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Take a look at Solaris x86/x64

But not AMD64 by the look of it.

This AMD64 system has been running Solaris x86/x64 in 64 bit mode
since I bought it in October 2004.

-- I run a mixture of 32 and 64 bit
apps without knowing or caring which is which, and certainly without
having to build different environments to run them in.

But do you have a Realplayer, acroread, or flash 8 or 9?

I don't keep up to date with these things as I don't use them.
Realplayer -- don't know
Acroread -- I use an old version, but I think there's a newer one,
but probably not the latest. There are several non-adobe ones.
Flashplayer 9 is available for Solaris in beta from adobe.

If you want a GNU look-and-feel

No thanks ptui! - I'm a KDE weenie ;-) But it looks like they've got
kde in the repository, so that's OK.

I don't know how they handle mixed 32/64 bit applications, and given
it sounds like the problem you mention above is a user-land problem, not
a kernel one, it might be same problem as on Linux.

The problem AIUI is that the shrink-wrapped stuff expects certain
libraries and if Shrink-wrap Inc doesn't do a version of their app for
AMD64 the workaround is to install the IA32 version along with IA32 libs
in a chrooted environment. I wouldn't expect to get that problem with the
solaris distro because you probably can't get even the 32-bit versions for
it :-)

Solaris x86 kernel runs in 64 bit mode if you have a 64 bit
capable CPU, or 32 bit mode otherwise. The 64 bit kernel runs
32 and 64 bit applications completely transparently (and without
any form of emulation). All applications must come in 32 bit mode
(or they won't run on 32 bit only CPUs), but they can also come
in 64 bit mode if they can benefit from it. All libraries come in
both 32 and 64 bit mode.

Looks like Nexenta's equivalent workaround is BrandZ "Allows to
run Linux userland".

BrandZ is a Zone (a Solaris containment mechanism a bit like BSD
jails, but much more fully featured) into which is installed a
Linux system minus kernel, rather than another Solaris system as
is the case with normal Zones. A BrandZ Zone then also provides
an alternate syscall layer into the Solaris kernel which provides
the same interface as a Linux kernel, rather than the standard
Solaris syscall layer.

However, Nexenta is a Solaris distribution in which the userland
is all Debian rather than Solaris anyway, so you probably won't
need to use BrandZ for anything except binaries which are supplied
only for Linux.

I have done lots of work on Linux servers, but I'm not a serious
Linux desktop user, so I can't give you first-hand experience of
Nexenta verses Linux. However, I was in a meeting with a number
of Linux die-hards recently. One of them asked if anyone had
tried Nexenta, and about 5 of them had, and they were extremely
complimentary about it. None had a single negative comment, and
those that had measured performance found it significantly better
than a full Linux distro, and it was much more responsive and
stable under heavy load than Linux is. A couple of them had
noticed it also includes Dtrace, and been totally converted to
using it for identifying system problems (something Linux has
always been particularly bad at doing), and could not imagine
using any OS in the future which didn't have Dtrace. (It is
being ported to several other OS's at the moment, including
Linux.) As these were not the kind of comments I normally hear
from Linux die-hards, it looks like Nexenta may have something
particularly compelling to offer them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move
Well I'm still very happy with WIN 2000 Pro which does all I need:-)

I feel much the same way about Win ME.

Owain

Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

Yes, but they are all crowded together at the "worst" end of the spectrum,
so the difference is hardly perceptible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move
Well I'm still very happy with WIN 2000 Pro which does all I need:-)

I feel much the same way about Win ME.

Owain

Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

Yes, but they are all crowded together at the "worst" end of the spectrum,
so the difference is hardly perceptible.

Thats a tad biased methinks. 95 wasn't that hot, 98 had problems ME had
as it sez ME!, WIN2K was good, and everything since is bloatware!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move
Well I'm still very happy with WIN 2000 Pro which does all I need:-)

I feel much the same way about Win ME.

Owain

Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

Yes, but they are all crowded together at the "worst" end of the spectrum,
so the difference is hardly perceptible.

Thats a tad biased methinks. 95 wasn't that hot, 98 had problems ME had
as it sez ME!, WIN2K was good, and everything since is bloatware!...

I think that that's a fair analysis if your spectrum of vision is Microsoft.

The Win2k monitor is better than the 9x monitors, I'll grant you.

Already the reports of Outlook 2007 being slow are coming in.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
I feel much the same way about Win ME.

Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

No, that was edlin ;-)

LOL.
Edlin made editing simple .bat files a days work!
My favorite "early" application of all times just had to be Xtree !

:¬)
--
http://www.gymratz.co.uk - Gym Equipment & Fitness Equipment
http://www.commercial-gym-equipment.co.uk - UK Designed & Built!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dkh wrote:
Lol
I appreciate the sentiments (already have 2 debian linux pcs in the
house) but i need to have a windows pc for other non linux stuff and i
need to have microsoft office etc (ive tried the linux versions and they
dont support the advanced features of word for eg)

Run Vmware on one of the Debian boxes and have Windows as a guest
system, all sorts of advantages and virtually no disadvantages.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:01:00 +0000, Huge wrote:

But do you have a Realplayer,

Why would you want this piece of spyware?

To play real audio streams (and with vsound, to record them). In what way
is it spyware?

It lasted about 10 seconds on
my XP machine before I deleted it.

What is this 'XP' you speak about? It's not a distro I've come across ;-)

There are alternatives.

I was going to say "Such as?" but just for the hell of it dragged up my
listen-to-the-radio command:
realplay \
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra
and s/realplay/mplayer/ and waddayaknow - real-free radio :-)

gmplayer works too.

You did say 'alternatives' (plural) - are there others I'm missing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
message ...
Owain wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
I feel much the same way about Win ME.
Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

No, that was edlin ;-)

LOL.
Edlin made editing simple .bat files a days work!

Perhaps you have not encountered the vi editor

My favorite "early" application of all times just had to be Xtree !

Agreed!

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
I feel much the same way about Win ME.
Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

No, that was edlin ;-)

LOL.
Edlin made editing simple .bat files a days work!

Perhaps you have not encountered the vi editor

My favorite "early" application of all times just had to be Xtree !

Agreed!

--

Michael Chare

There's nothing wrong with vi.

I can have started it, done a bunch of edits on a file and exited
before Word has even finished loading.

Having said that, I can remember going to a presentation by Andrew
Tanenbaum during which he said the same about 'ed' in comparison to
'vi'

Mind you it was in 1982.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 20:39:07 +0000 Owain wrote :
tony sayer wrote:
I feel much the same way about Win ME.

Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

No, that was edlin ;-)

In my early days of selling software I resold an American shareware
database manager, Zephyr, and brilliant it was too. But it needed the
line FILES=40 inserted into CONFIG.SYS and at that time most users had
nothing but edlin. So the routine, which I had off pat, was to say "don't
ask questions, just do EXACTLY what I say: C:, cd \, edlin config.sys, l,
..."

For word processing I use Lotus WordPro, not updated for a good few years
but still a great bit of work. Having also used Word 2003 a bit, I could
not believe how poor it was - this is not just a case being unfamiliar
with it, rather that so much has to be done through modal dialogs instead
of WordPro's right-click interactive properties mode of working.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

I feel much the same way about Win ME.

Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

No, that was edlin ;-)

In my early days of selling software I resold an American shareware
database manager, Zephyr, and brilliant it was too. But it needed the
line FILES=40 inserted into CONFIG.SYS and at that time most users had
nothing but edlin. So the routine, which I had off pat, was to say "don't
ask questions, just do EXACTLY what I say: C:, cd \, edlin config.sys, l,
.."

Around that time there was a prog called PFedit. I used that quite a lot
for editing config.sys and autoexec.bat. Very much easier to use that edlin.

For word processing I use Lotus WordPro, not updated for a good few years
but still a great bit of work. Having also used Word 2003 a bit, I could
not believe how poor it was - this is not just a case being unfamiliar
with it, rather that so much has to be done through modal dialogs instead
of WordPro's right-click interactive properties mode of working.

I think Word Pro is so much better than anything that came out of
Seattle is because it was written by ex Brits :-)

Like you, both my wife and I use Word Pro for all of our writing
requirements. So much more intuitive.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Mar, 21:25, Owain wrote:
wrote:
Perhaps you have not encountered the vi editor

There's nothing wrong with vi.

As you sing this, it may help the effect to imagine a dozen
women, all of whom resemble Bill Joy, dressed in black and dancing
sinuously.

That *really* doesn't bear thinking about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Anyway, I thought real men used emacs dons flameproof garments and
pulls big red handle marked "ejector seat"

The ejector seat would have a black and yellow handle. Just thought I
would let you know :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:31:07 +0000, Huge wrote:

realplay \
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra
and s/realplay/mplayer/ and waddayaknow - real-free radio :-)
gmplayer works too.

Not here, sadly.
Failed to open rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra.

Odd. But FWIW I found that [g]mplayer works for about 2 minutes and
then crashes, so it's back to realplayer again :-(

You did say 'alternatives' (plural) - are there others I'm missing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Alternative
I have no idea if this works under non-MS systems; I'm not that interested,
sorry.

Can't see any :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Dave wrote:

Anyway, I thought real men used emacs dons flameproof garments and
pulls big red handle marked "ejector seat"

The ejector seat would have a black and yellow handle. Just thought I
would let you know :-)

Oh, dangtarnit. What does the red handle do?

You have got me there :-)

It's been getting on for 8 years since I worked in the aerospace
industry. International orange was used for the inside of external door
handles to alert ground crew / tower that there was a catch undone, or a
door open.. I can't remember anything that was red.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dkh wrote:

Lol
I appreciate the sentiments (already have 2 debian linux pcs in the
house) but i need to have a windows pc for other non linux stuff and i
need to have microsoft office etc (ive tried the linux versions and they
dont support the advanced features of word for eg)

'Scuse the late followup, but there's a commercial version of WINE
called Crossover, which runs M$ Office and Internet Exploder perfectly
(I'm assured by others who need such things).
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Download the free trial, if it works for you then pay the modest price
and spend the rest of the money you would have spent on another Wodniws
licence on beer/gadgets/powertools etc. Usual disclaimer.

ObDIY: Now .. about this staircase of mine ...

Nick (*waves* at people here he hasn't met for years !)
--
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom ... So express yourself
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Leverton" wrote in message
In article ,
dkh wrote:

Lol
I appreciate the sentiments (already have 2 debian linux pcs in the
house) but i need to have a windows pc for other non linux stuff and i
need to have microsoft office etc (ive tried the linux versions and they
dont support the advanced features of word for eg)

'Scuse the late followup, but there's a commercial version of WINE
called Crossover, which runs M$ Office and Internet Exploder perfectly
(I'm assured by others who need such things).
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Download the free trial, if it works for you then pay the modest price
and spend the rest of the money you would have spent on another Wodniws
licence on beer/gadgets/powertools etc. Usual disclaimer.

If it uses WINE which is GPL then doesn't that mean cross-over must also be
GPL.
Ask them for the source and compile it for free.
If its GPL they have to make the source freely available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
"Nick Leverton" wrote in message

Download the free trial, if it works for you then pay the modest price
and spend the rest of the money you would have spent on another Wodniws
licence on beer/gadgets/powertools etc. Usual disclaimer.

If it uses WINE which is GPL then doesn't that mean cross-over must also be
GPL.
Ask them for the source and compile it for free.
If its GPL they have to make the source freely available.

I really really don't want to start a GPL licensing thread :-) but if
you check WINE's licence at http://www.winehq.com/site/license you'll see
that it uses the LGPL, which allows it to be linked into a larger product
without the larger product being GPL'd itself.

And as you can see he
http://source.winehq.org/git/?p=wine...=codeweaver s
they are still contributing a vast number of fixes back into the Open
Source version of WINE.

ObDIY: I've no axe to grind ...

Nick
--