Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Hard Disk crash - rebuild with vista?

On 2007-03-16 20:17:13 +0000, dkh said:

Lol
I appreciate the sentiments (already have 2 debian linux pcs in the
house) but i need to have a windows pc for other non linux stuff and i
need to have microsoft office

Oh dear. I didn't think that anybody *needed* to have Orifice.

etc (ive tried the linux versions and they
dont support the advanced features of word for eg)

Does anyone use those?

At any rate, have you thought about running Linux on the machine
and then running the Redmond malware under VMware?

The machine is plenty powerful enough to do this and it as the advantage
that you can keep virtual machines (essentially files) with everything
installed
and ready to go. Then when the Seattle **** breaks beyond time economic
repair, as it always does, you can simply drop in another copy and be
up and going
again in about 2 minutes flat.

I'm using a similar technique for a couple of legacy conferencing
applications that
run only on Washingtonware and are not yet available for the Mac and it works
very well indeed.