Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Hard Disk crash - rebuild with vista?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:10:00 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Take a look at Solaris x86/x64

But not AMD64 by the look of it.

-- I run a mixture of 32 and 64 bit
apps without knowing or caring which is which, and certainly without
having to build different environments to run them in.

But do you have a Realplayer, acroread, or flash 8 or 9?

If you want a GNU look-and-feel

No thanks ptui! - I'm a KDE weenie ;-) But it looks like they've got
kde in the repository, so that's OK.

I don't know how they handle mixed 32/64 bit applications, and given
it sounds like the problem you mention above is a user-land problem, not
a kernel one, it might be same problem as on Linux.

The problem AIUI is that the shrink-wrapped stuff expects certain
libraries and if Shrink-wrap Inc doesn't do a version of their app for
AMD64 the workaround is to install the IA32 version along with IA32 libs
in a chrooted environment. I wouldn't expect to get that problem with the
solaris distro because you probably can't get even the 32-bit versions for
it :-) Looks like Nexenta's equivalent workaround is BrandZ "Allows to
run Linux userland".

BTW I hope the distro is more stable than the wibble - try following the
'homepage' link from
http://www.gnusolaris.org/archive/el...le/newpkg_main !

Anyway the vmware version looks worth a spin - thanks for the pointer!