Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Hard Disk crash - rebuild with vista?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 20:39:07 +0000 Owain wrote :
tony sayer wrote:
I feel much the same way about Win ME.

Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

No, that was edlin ;-)

In my early days of selling software I resold an American shareware
database manager, Zephyr, and brilliant it was too. But it needed the
line FILES=40 inserted into CONFIG.SYS and at that time most users had
nothing but edlin. So the routine, which I had off pat, was to say "don't
ask questions, just do EXACTLY what I say: C:, cd \, edlin config.sys, l,
..."

For word processing I use Lotus WordPro, not updated for a good few years
but still a great bit of work. Having also used Word 2003 a bit, I could
not believe how poor it was - this is not just a case being unfamiliar
with it, rather that so much has to be done through modal dialogs instead
of WordPro's right-click interactive properties mode of working.