Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hard Disk crash - rebuild with vista?

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:50:03 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

There are 64bit versions too. Still free.

yebbut there's a lot of non-free stuff (like Acrobat reader) which doesn't
have 64-bit versions, and Automatix doesn't install 32-bit versions of all
of them for you so you've got to manually configure a 32-bit chrooted
environment ... or something: haven't got round to it yet (I run 32-bit
apps off another box via ssh -X).

Does 64 bit Linux really behave this badly?
Take a look at Solaris x86/x64 -- I run a mixture of 32 and 64 bit
apps without knowing or caring which is which, and certainly without
having to build different environments to run them in.

If you want a GNU look-and-feel, then you might look at NexentaOS
which is Debian/Ubuntu with a Solaris kernel, although I don't
know how they handle mixed 32/64 bit applications, and given it
sounds like the problem you mention above is a user-land problem,
not a kernel one, it might be same problem as on Linux.

--
Andrew Gabriel