Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall Wart Tidy

Hi All

Our kitchen side is getting overrun with chargers; 3 x mobiles, all
different chargers, 2 x Bluetooth thingy's etc.

Is there a standard off the shelf wall wart tidy?

If not I'll have to make something.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-18 02:01:53 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Our kitchen side is getting overrun with chargers; 3 x mobiles, all
different chargers, 2 x Bluetooth thingy's etc.

Is there a standard off the shelf wall wart tidy?

If not I'll have to make something.

Do you mean something to put them in or on during use or between uses?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 02:01:53 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

|Hi All
|
|Our kitchen side is getting overrun with chargers; 3 x mobiles, all
|different chargers, 2 x Bluetooth thingy's etc.
|
|Is there a standard off the shelf wall wart tidy?
|
|If not I'll have to make something.

I use six way 13 amp extensions. The sort which will fasten to the wall
with two screws in keyhole slots, with a switch to turn the lot off. 12way
ones are less useful because some wall warts obscure another socket.

Problem is that my walls are now covered (almost) with 13 amp extensions
:-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 02:01:53 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is there a standard off the shelf wall wart tidy?

The only thing I can think of is an individually switched extension lead
attached to the wall and some cable ties for the wires. The sheds have
them with up to 6 sockets. I go for the individually switched type so you
can turn 'em off when not in use.

I guess you could also mount it on a box and put the wires in the box and
have slots/holes or WHY you drop the phones and things into when being
charged.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-18 02:01:53 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Our kitchen side is getting overrun with chargers; 3 x mobiles, all
different chargers, 2 x Bluetooth thingy's etc.

Is there a standard off the shelf wall wart tidy?

If not I'll have to make something.

Do you mean something to put them in or on during use or between uses?

While they are being charged really.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote :
Hi All

Our kitchen side is getting overrun with chargers; 3 x mobiles, all different
chargers, 2 x Bluetooth thingy's etc.

Is there a standard off the shelf wall wart tidy?

If not I'll have to make something.

I use a 4/6 or even 8way adaptor to plug them all in together in one
place. Adaptor and wall warts can be stashed out of the way, with just
the low voltage ends on view.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote :

Hi All

Our kitchen side is getting overrun with chargers; 3 x mobiles, all different
chargers, 2 x Bluetooth thingy's etc.

Is there a standard off the shelf wall wart tidy?

If not I'll have to make something.

I use a 4/6 or even 8way adaptor to plug them all in together in one
place. Adaptor and wall warts can be stashed out of the way, with just
the low voltage ends on view.

I wonder if some could be secreted under the worktop or perhaps even
under the upper cupboard right at the back, with their LV connectors
fed through to someplace accessible.

5 & 12v distribution solves the myriad wart supplies for appliances
problem, but only partly addresses the charger warts.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-18 10:04:02 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-01-18 02:01:53 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Our kitchen side is getting overrun with chargers; 3 x mobiles, all
different chargers, 2 x Bluetooth thingy's etc.

Is there a standard off the shelf wall wart tidy?

If not I'll have to make something.

Do you mean something to put them in or on during use or between uses?

While they are being charged really.

I see - not that I've seen. I can't think of an elegant in the sense
of visually attractive solution particularly either.

For the workshop, to cope with my proliferation of chargers and wall
warts for various types of power tool I made a recharging station which
fits on the wall. Basically this is a panel with two shelves and
fitted bays for each charger and then a UK power strip for UK wall
warts. There is then an autotransformer and a U.S. power strip for
U.S. ones.

While this provides a neat solution in the sense of avoiding trailing
wires, it is not something that would be described as an item of
beauty. I would be reluctant to make anything that closes in the
wall warts - certainly not the ones with conventional transformer - for
reasons of risk of overheating.

Maybe altering the location for charging away from the kitchen would be
a solution, or a power strip in a larger kitchen cupboard?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:39:51 +0000 Andy Hall wrote :
I see - not that I've seen. I can't think of an elegant in the
sense of visually attractive solution particularly either.

What someone needs to manufacture is a device on the same lines as a
plug in time clock with (say) 1 hour, 5 hour, 12 hour and 24 hour
buttons. Plug charger into it, hit appropriate button.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 02:01:53 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is there a standard off the shelf wall wart tidy?

The only thing I can think of is an individually switched extension lead
attached to the wall and some cable ties for the wires. The sheds have
them with up to 6 sockets. I go for the individually switched type so you
can turn 'em off when not in use.

I guess you could also mount it on a box and put the wires in the box and
have slots/holes or WHY you drop the phones and things into when being
charged.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The annoying thing is that in our "green" culture we keep getting a new
charger every time we buy a new device. Something universal would be great -
if makers could agree on a voltage, etc - and then the ability to opt not to
have a new charger. (Anyone want 3 Braun Toothbrush chargers - sorry I have
just dumped 2 Nokia chargers)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:31:03 UTC, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:39:51 +0000 Andy Hall wrote :
I see - not that I've seen. I can't think of an elegant in the
sense of visually attractive solution particularly either.

What someone needs to manufacture is a device on the same lines as a
plug in time clock with (say) 1 hour, 5 hour, 12 hour and 24 hour
buttons. Plug charger into it, hit appropriate button.

I use a spare mechanical plug in time clock. Set interval on litrtle
pegs. Twiddle until it clicks on. Leave, and turn off socket when
removing charged item. Next time, switch on and twiddle until it clicks.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jan 2007 17:27:06 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I use a spare mechanical plug in time clock. Set interval on litrtle
pegs. Twiddle until it clicks on. Leave, and turn off socket when
removing charged item.

I've got a modified mechanical plug in timer, the motor supply is taken
after the switch. Set the on period for what ever you want start it and
it runs until it switches off.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:54:54 GMT, John wrote:

The annoying thing is that in our "green" culture we keep getting a new
charger every time we buy a new device. Something universal would be
great - if makers could agree on a voltage, etc -

Quite agree, it's effectively already been done with USB and PoE. I think
something like the PoE system would be ideal. A fairly high (42 or is it
48v in the case of PoE) voltage feed and DC-DC convertors in the kit to
make that into what ever the kit needs to live on. It would also be nice
to standardise the connector but that is rather harder due to the size
and design of modern portable electronics. But there is nothing to stop
there being a standard that could be used and have adpaters for the tiny
kit.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:54:54 GMT, John wrote:

The annoying thing is that in our "green" culture we keep getting a new
charger every time we buy a new device. Something universal would be
great - if makers could agree on a voltage, etc -

Quite agree, it's effectively already been done with USB and PoE. I think
something like the PoE system would be ideal. A fairly high (42 or is it
48v in the case of PoE) voltage feed and DC-DC convertors in the kit to
make that into what ever the kit needs to live on. It would also be nice
to standardise the connector but that is rather harder due to the size
and design of modern portable electronics. But there is nothing to stop
there being a standard that could be used and have adpaters for the tiny
kit.

One problem is that manufactures can't agree on a standard
plug into their device.

They deliberately don't have a comon standard, and change
them frequently, so that you have to buy new accessories.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:28:38 -0000, tim..... wrote:

One problem is that manufactures can't agree on a standard
plug into their device.

You don't *need* a standard plug, I already said that could be a problem
due to the design of modern portable electronics. A simple adapter from
the kits connector to a standard one must be cheaper than a PSU/charger.

Or go down the connector less toothbrush route, with a literal drop in
charger. Couple the power in via induction. Have a standard field
strength in the hole, device has pickup coil sized to collect as much
power at the voltage it needs.

They deliberately don't have a comon standard, and change them
frequently, so that you have to buy new accessories.

Every new bit of kit has a different supply. I don't think I've seen any
change during a given products life.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail