Posted to uk.d-i-y
CJC CJC is offline

Default A slight annoyance I have

Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I find it really annoying when wearing a dust mask and goggles as I
find no matter how I put them on every time I breath through my nose it
ends up fogging out by goggles.

Can anyone recommend a good set from an easy place to get to either
wicks, homebase, b&q or screw fix that you recommend getting.

Flicking through screw fix I noticed anti fog ones, but do these
actually work.

As like to sort this out before getting annoyed with them next time and
throwing a hissy fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

CJC wrote:

Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I find it really annoying when wearing a dust mask and goggles as I
find no matter how I put them on every time I breath through my nose it
ends up fogging out by goggles.

Can anyone recommend a good set from an easy place to get to either
wicks, homebase, b&q or screw fix that you recommend getting.

Try the 3m disposable respirator - about £15, but works well on partical
and vapour, comfortable to wear and makes a good seal onto the face. The
air exhaust is in roughly nose position and angled down such that it
will not mist ordinary googles.

Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
CJC wrote:

Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I find it really annoying when wearing a dust mask and goggles as I
find no matter how I put them on every time I breath through my nose it
ends up fogging out by goggles.

Can anyone recommend a good set from an easy place to get to either
wicks, homebase, b&q or screw fix that you recommend getting.

Try the 3m disposable respirator - about £15, but works well on partical
and vapour, comfortable to wear and makes a good seal onto the face. The
air exhaust is in roughly nose position and angled down such that it will
not mist ordinary googles.

Dunno if this will help, but I find that 'double-glazed' ski-goggles are
resistant to steaming up. It must be to do with the internal transparent
layer keeping so warm because of the external transparency layer that
condensation has difficulty condensing on it.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"CJC" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I find it really annoying when wearing a dust mask and goggles as I
find no matter how I put them on every time I breath through my nose it
ends up fogging out by goggles.

Can anyone recommend a good set from an easy place to get to either
wicks, homebase, b&q or screw fix that you recommend getting.

Flicking through screw fix I noticed anti fog ones, but do these
actually work.

As like to sort this out before getting annoyed with them next time and
throwing a hissy fit.

I find a face visor very effective, and has enough space to wear a dust mask
underneath. A decent respirator is preferable, far better than disposable
masks.

Here's one of the once machine mart sell, but they do others also, as do
other stockists:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2152&g=120

I use these a lot for angle grinder use also, keeps the sparks off your
face!

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

Try the 3m disposable respirator - about £15, but works well on partical
and vapour, comfortable to wear and makes a good seal onto the face. The
air exhaust is in roughly nose position and angled down such that it will
not mist ordinary googles.

Agreed. This is about the only one of the many I've tried that mostly avoids
this problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-10 14:17:40 +0000, "CJC" said:

Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I find it really annoying when wearing a dust mask and goggles as I
find no matter how I put them on every time I breath through my nose it
ends up fogging out by goggles.

Can anyone recommend a good set from an easy place to get to either
wicks, homebase, b&q or screw fix that you recommend getting.

Flicking through screw fix I noticed anti fog ones, but do these
actually work.

As like to sort this out before getting annoyed with them next time and
throwing a hissy fit.

I have never found a satisfactory solution from these types of product.

Either the filtration is not very good, the eye protection mists up,
lets in dust or whatever.
Something that is going to do this is not a good protection system at all.

I need to use both forms of protection, and against flying woodchips as
well, quite regularly for woodworking
including lathe turning, sanding,.... so I looked at powered
respirators with face shield.

There are various ones on the market including one piece products with
power unit and batteries in the helmet or hat. The problem with these
is that either the battery run time is short or the battery packs are
heavy and make wearing on the head uncomfortable after a long period of
use.

In the end I settled on a set of 3M Dustmaster equipment. This is a
range with a whole variety of options in terms of headgear, visors and
filters. I went for a fairly light weight helmet with suitable
visor. The motor unit and battery pack are on a belt and are
connected to the helmet with a flexible hose. Various filter types can
be fitted to the motor unit depending on use. Typically I am using
the dust and particulate version. There is a lightly elasticated
shroud which fits under the chin as part of the helmet. With the fan
running, there is a steady stream of filtered air and the area in front
of the face is under slight positive pressure. There is no steaming
up as a result and the setup is comfortable for hours of use.

it's not a cheap solution, but I don't believe in economising on safety
equipment, because it's a false economy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rub soap onto the the inside of the lense and polish up with a soft dry
cloth.
You should find this will solve the problem of misting.
]

"CJC" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I find it really annoying when wearing a dust mask and goggles as I
find no matter how I put them on every time I breath through my nose it
ends up fogging out by goggles.

Can anyone recommend a good set from an easy place to get to either
wicks, homebase, b&q or screw fix that you recommend getting.

Flicking through screw fix I noticed anti fog ones, but do these
actually work.

As like to sort this out before getting annoyed with them next time and
throwing a hissy fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-10 14:17:40 +0000, "CJC" said:

[...]

Andy, what was your source and about how much?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-10 14:17:40 +0000, "CJC" said:

[...]

Keep your eye on ebay
I picked up a Power Cap
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/ps....cgi/POWERCAP1
Brand new, in the box for £20.00 including postage

Works fine, but a bugger getting them on over glasses

Rick... (The other Rick)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message

"CJC" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I find it really annoying when wearing a dust mask and goggles as I
find no matter how I put them on every time I breath through my nose it
ends up fogging out by goggles.

Can anyone recommend a good set from an easy place to get to either
wicks, homebase, b&q or screw fix that you recommend getting.

Flicking through screw fix I noticed anti fog ones, but do these
actually work.

As like to sort this out before getting annoyed with them next time and
throwing a hissy fit.

I find a face visor very effective, and has enough space to wear a dust
mask underneath. A decent respirator is preferable, far better than
disposable masks.

A full face visor is the only type which is effective for Spouse. It solves
the problem of his spectacles and he large beard, which cause different
problems with other protection.

I bought one for him years ago from an agricultural supplier, it was very
expensive. I'm glad the price has come down.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
SNIP

A full face visor is the only type which is effective for Spouse. It

solves
the problem of his spectacles and he large beard, which cause

different
problems with other protection.

I bought one for him years ago from an agricultural supplier, it was

very
expensive. I'm glad the price has come down.

Mary

What other protection and when GGG

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CJC CJC is offline

The one mentioned in screw fix looks good but would that be good for
sanding, as going to be sanding down all the walls.

Secondly, can that one be used forever or is there a life span on it?

Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-11 07:56:10 +0000, "Andrew Mawson"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

Greenhams. www.greenham.com

You can buy this product as piece parts - e.g. the helmet/visor, the
tube, the air supply and the filters.; or
sometimes as a packaged deal. I think I paid about £250 for mine
about a year ago. There is also an option, which tends to be used by
heavier users where a workshop air supply can be used. However, it
involves a special conditioning and filter pack to remove any oil
vapour and other contaminants from the compressed air.
Although I have a good workshop compressed air system, this extra
filter equipment is pretty expensive.
The motorised belt pack has the advantage of portability as well.

This is not a cheap option, but certainly for jobs that are typically
unpleasant like chasing walls and other plaster cutting, this is a
pleasant option. There is no steaming up or sense of restricted air
supply or indeed getting overheated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-11 09:03:19 +0000, Rick said:

Keep your eye on ebay
I picked up a Power Cap
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/ps....cgi/POWERCAP1
Brand new, in the box for £20.00 including postage

Works fine, but a bugger getting them on over glasses

Rick... (The other Rick)

Yes, these are certainly not bad. I tried one out at a woodworking
show and they are quite respectable, especially with external battery
pack. There is also a Trend one, but it tends to feel very heavy
after a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-11 07:56:10 +0000, "Andrew Mawson"
said:

Andy, what was your source and about how much?

AWEM

Another good source of safety equipment , apart from Greenhams, is Arco.

www.arco.co.uk

They also do a comprehensive catalogue.

I should add that both firms are "trade" suppliers and one can
negotiate on price - don't accept the
first offer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:17:44 +0000, Andy Hall

On 2007-01-11 07:56:10 +0000, "Andrew Mawson"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

I have a 3M Optrel Solarmatic welding mask which has the same
ventilation system - very good indeed.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CJC wrote:

The one mentioned in screw fix looks good but would that be good for
sanding, as going to be sanding down all the walls.

Yes, very good.

Secondly, can that one be used forever or is there a life span on it?

It theortically has a lifespan of 30 days - but I susspect that is 30
full days of exposure to contaminants. Used intermittently they seem to
last much longer (I have been using one for well over a year on and off,
and it is still effective and offers little added breathing resistance).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Heliotrope
Smith writes

"CJC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I find it really annoying when wearing a dust mask and goggles as I
find no matter how I put them on every time I breath through my nose it
ends up fogging out by goggles.

Can anyone recommend a good set from an easy place to get to either
wicks, homebase, b&q or screw fix that you recommend getting.

Flicking through screw fix I noticed anti fog ones, but do these
actually work.

As like to sort this out before getting annoyed with them next time and
throwing a hissy fit.

Repositioned for you ...

Rub soap onto the the inside of the lense and polish up with a soft dry
cloth.
You should find this will solve the problem of misting.

Actually, gobbing on the lenses before cleaning them is the
scientifically approved method

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-01-11 00:16:39 +0000, "Heliotrope Smith" said:

Rub soap onto the the inside of the lense and polish up with a soft dry
cloth.
You should find this will solve the problem of misting.
]

SPAM....

Never tried that

I think I'll give it a miss

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CJC CJC is offline

Thanks for peoples advice I'm going to get the 3m respirator and if I
still get fogged out then I'll try the soap or spit in it.

Hopefully this is the end of this annoying problem.

Many thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

CJC wrote:

Thanks for peoples advice I'm going to get the 3m respirator and if I
still get fogged out then I'll try the soap or spit in it.

Spitting in the respirator probably won't help much - it does not cover
the eyes! ;-)

(however you can stick a visor on over it and not get much fogging)

--
Cheers,

John.