Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default A slight annoyance I have

On 2007-01-10 14:17:40 +0000, "CJC" said:

Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I find it really annoying when wearing a dust mask and goggles as I
find no matter how I put them on every time I breath through my nose it
ends up fogging out by goggles.

Can anyone recommend a good set from an easy place to get to either
wicks, homebase, b&q or screw fix that you recommend getting.

Flicking through screw fix I noticed anti fog ones, but do these
actually work.

As like to sort this out before getting annoyed with them next time and
throwing a hissy fit.

I have never found a satisfactory solution from these types of product.

Either the filtration is not very good, the eye protection mists up,
lets in dust or whatever.
Something that is going to do this is not a good protection system at all.

I need to use both forms of protection, and against flying woodchips as
well, quite regularly for woodworking
including lathe turning, sanding,.... so I looked at powered
respirators with face shield.

There are various ones on the market including one piece products with
power unit and batteries in the helmet or hat. The problem with these
is that either the battery run time is short or the battery packs are
heavy and make wearing on the head uncomfortable after a long period of
use.

In the end I settled on a set of 3M Dustmaster equipment. This is a
range with a whole variety of options in terms of headgear, visors and
filters. I went for a fairly light weight helmet with suitable
visor. The motor unit and battery pack are on a belt and are
connected to the helmet with a flexible hose. Various filter types can
be fitted to the motor unit depending on use. Typically I am using
the dust and particulate version. There is a lightly elasticated
shroud which fits under the chin as part of the helmet. With the fan
running, there is a steady stream of filtered air and the area in front
of the face is under slight positive pressure. There is no steaming
up as a result and the setup is comfortable for hours of use.

it's not a cheap solution, but I don't believe in economising on safety
equipment, because it's a false economy.