Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default A slight annoyance I have

On 2007-01-11 07:56:10 +0000, "Andrew Mawson"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

In the end I settled on a set of 3M Dustmaster equipment. This is

range with a whole variety of options in terms of headgear, visors

and
filters. I went for a fairly light weight helmet with suitable
visor. The motor unit and battery pack are on a belt and are
connected to the helmet with a flexible hose. Various filter types

can
be fitted to the motor unit depending on use. Typically I am using
the dust and particulate version. There is a lightly elasticated
shroud which fits under the chin as part of the helmet. With the

fan
running, there is a steady stream of filtered air and the area in

front
of the face is under slight positive pressure. There is no

steaming
up as a result and the setup is comfortable for hours of use.

it's not a cheap solution, but I don't believe in economising on

safety
equipment, because it's a false economy.

Andy, what was your source and about how much?

AWEM

Greenhams. www.greenham.com

You can buy this product as piece parts - e.g. the helmet/visor, the
tube, the air supply and the filters.; or
sometimes as a packaged deal. I think I paid about £250 for mine
about a year ago. There is also an option, which tends to be used by
heavier users where a workshop air supply can be used. However, it
involves a special conditioning and filter pack to remove any oil
vapour and other contaminants from the compressed air.
Although I have a good workshop compressed air system, this extra
filter equipment is pretty expensive.
The motorised belt pack has the advantage of portability as well.

This is not a cheap option, but certainly for jobs that are typically
unpleasant like chasing walls and other plaster cutting, this is a
pleasant option. There is no steaming up or sense of restricted air
supply or indeed getting overheated.