Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A very silly question

I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff - but I
have no idea what its called or where to get one

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:11:26 GMT, wrote:

I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those
L-shaped things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and
stuff - but I have no idea what its called or where to get one

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

A Sack-truck.

A company called Partington Engineering (a friend of mine runs it)
does all sorts of different ones, including some suited to going up
and down stairs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff - but I
have no idea what its called or where to get one

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Sack truck / machine mart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff - but I
have no idea what its called or where to get one

sack truck I think. Try a hire shop?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff - but I
have no idea what its called or where to get one

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Usually a sack truck.
But I got one called a "sack trolley", and it could be used on it's two
wheels eg. for moving a fridge, and also flat as a trolley, by means of
two extra wheels on the vertical section. Very useful and versatile.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=109&r=2067

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil wrote:
wrote:
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff - but I
have no idea what its called or where to get one

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Sack truck / machine mart

Thanks to both Phil and Rexx - would never have guessed that was its
name

much appreciated!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff - but I
have no idea what its called or where to get one

Sack barrow?

http://www.rapidracking.com/g/3/49/H...ck%20Steps.htm

Even their entry level stuff is rated at 100Kg. These not much you would
be likely to be able to budge that exceeds that.

Highly recommended firm BTW. If you want industrial strength shelving
and stuff at sane prices. Not always beautiful, but built like a brick
****house.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff -
but I have no idea what its called or where to get one

Sack barrow?

http://www.rapidracking.com/g/3/49/H...k%20Trucks%20a
nd%20Kick%20Steps.htm

Even their entry level stuff is rated at 100Kg. These not much you
would be likely to be able to budge that exceeds that.

Highly recommended firm BTW. If you want industrial strength shelving
and stuff at sane prices. Not always beautiful, but built like a brick
****house.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Quite dear actually,for instance the telescopic ally folding truck is
35GBP, Aldi where selling it for 12.99GBP.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff - but I
have no idea what its called or where to get one

Can anyone help?!

I use a skateboard for this kind of thing.
Ask the neighbours kids?

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff -
but I have no idea what its called or where to get one

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Hand trolly,go into an Aldi or Lidl store they may still have one on
offer? very cheap as well.

I bought one from Lidl/Aldi/Netto (can't remember which) last time
they had them. Absolutely ****e for anything heavy as the footplate
is too thin.

Otherwise try
www.machinemart.com

Probably a better bet.

Si

There's knowing how to use it and how not to use it?

The foot plate is not there to carry the weight,thats what the back rail is
for.
Moved washing machines sacks of rubble ect and still in good use.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:57:45 +0100, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Otherwise try www.machinemart.com

Probably a better bet.

I have a blue folding hand truck from Machine Mart, it's very well built
and has large pneumatic tyres for crossing rough ground.

WE also have a small platform truck which looks similar to those sold at
Aldi/Lidl but there's a huge difference in construction. The one we got
cost £15 but can move a quarter tonne and has sturdy wheels and deck. I
wouldn't try to move 100kg on the Aldi version. Same size, smaller wheels,
thin wall tube and very thin load plate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=109&r=2067

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97489&doy=26m9&criteria=SALE

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff -
but I have no idea what its called or where to get one

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Hand trolly,go into an Aldi or Lidl store they may still have one on
offer? very cheap as well.

I bought one from Lidl/Aldi/Netto (can't remember which) last time
they had them. Absolutely ****e for anything heavy as the footplate
is too thin.

Otherwise try
www.machinemart.com

Probably a better bet.

Si

There's knowing how to use it and how not to use it?

The foot plate is not there to carry the weight,thats what the back rail is
for.

It has to take some proportion of the weight, that's what it's there
for. Otherwise, the load will just slide off the bottom.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff -
but I have no idea what its called or where to get one

Sack barrow?

http://www.rapidracking.com/g/3/49/H...k%20Trucks%20a
nd%20Kick%20Steps.htm

Even their entry level stuff is rated at 100Kg. These not much you
would be likely to be able to budge that exceeds that.

Highly recommended firm BTW. If you want industrial strength shelving
and stuff at sane prices. Not always beautiful, but built like a brick
****house.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Quite dear actually,for instance the telescopic ally folding truck is
35GBP, Aldi where selling it for 12.99GBP.

I think yu will p[trobably find its aples and oranges.

I have had 'shed' stuff collapse under its own weight practically. Not
rapid racking. If they say it will do 100kg, you can bet your life it
will do 200.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Nope,its there for guiding/sliding in under the load which when fully
inserted, the load is then tilted with unison of trolly and load so as to
put all the strain on the back rail of trolly.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Rexx Magnus contains these words:

A Sack-truck.

Or sometimes sackbarrow.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff - but I
have no idea what its called or where to get one

Sack truck. Hire Shop.

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Nope,its there for guiding/sliding in under the load which when fully
inserted, the load is then tilted with unison of trolly and load so as to
put all the strain on the back rail of trolly.

In order to transfer the weight to the back rail the entire weight has
to be raised by the foot plate.
crap ones are crap whichever way you look at it.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Nope,its there for guiding/sliding in under the load which when fully
inserted, the load is then tilted with unison of trolly and load so as to
put all the strain on the back rail of trolly.

Huh?

The base plate will be taking at least half the load and probably more
in most situations. Just think through the physics for a bit! If you are
carrying something that is not rigid the situation only gets worse!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
wrote:

I'm going to do some moving and I need to find one of those L-shaped
things with wheels on for moving fridges and freezers and stuff - but I
have no idea what its called or where to get one

Usually a sack truck.
But I got one called a "sack trolley", and it could be used on it's two
wheels eg. for moving a fridge, and also flat as a trolley, by means of
two extra wheels on the vertical section. Very useful and versatile.
Simon.

I would recommend one of these if you dont mind the extra cost. While
mostly used in sack barrow mode, the platform mode can enable larger
loads that the sackbarrow mode just doesnt work for.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Nope,its there for guiding/sliding in under the load which when fully
inserted, the load is then tilted with unison of trolly and load so
as to put all the strain on the back rail of trolly.

Huh?

The base plate will be taking at least half the load and probably more
in most situations. Just think through the physics for a bit! If you
are carrying something that is not rigid the situation only gets
worse!

MrRumm, you will be aware that the bottom of a washing machine does not
contain a flat area so therefore the bottom corner of a washing machine
will be resting on the backrail of the trolly along with the side of the
machine,the back edge of the footplate will stop the machine from dropping
down but plays no use in supporting the weight.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:57:45 +0100, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Otherwise try www.machinemart.com

Probably a better bet.

I have a blue folding hand truck from Machine Mart, it's very well
built and has large pneumatic tyres for crossing rough ground.

WE also have a small platform truck which looks similar to those sold
at Aldi/Lidl but there's a huge difference in construction. The one
we got cost £15 but can move a quarter tonne and has sturdy wheels
and deck. I wouldn't try to move 100kg on the Aldi version. Same
size, smaller wheels, thin wall tube and very thin load plate.

Yup, the...Netto I think...one was/is truly a pile of ****e. If it hadn't
been so cheap, and if I could have been arsed, and also hadn't needed to use
it that morning, it would have gone back. Used as a flat trolley the
metalwork holding the small wheels on buckled with about 50-60kg on it.

Still, it served its purpose. Depends what they're needed for I suppose.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

Yup, the...Netto I think...one was/is truly a pile of ****e.

I had one of them. Used it a couple of times, then when it was shagged
left it outside the front door by mistake. Local monsterkids nicked it
and while rolling down the hill a wheel fell off. Teehee!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Nope,its there for guiding/sliding in under the load which when fully
inserted, the load is then tilted with unison of trolly and load so
as to put all the strain on the back rail of trolly.

Huh?

The base plate will be taking at least half the load and probably more
in most situations. Just think through the physics for a bit! If you
are carrying something that is not rigid the situation only gets
worse!

MrRumm, you will be aware that the bottom of a washing machine does not
contain a flat area so therefore the bottom corner of a washing machine
will be resting on the backrail of the trolly along with the side of the
machine,the back edge of the footplate will stop the machine from dropping
down but plays no use in supporting the weight.

So your theory holds for one very specific example. In the general case
you are, as I and others have pointed out, totally wrong.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MrRumm, you will be aware that the bottom of a washing machine does not
contain a flat area so therefore the bottom corner of a washing machine
will be resting on the backrail of the trolly along with the side of the
machine,the back edge of the footplate will stop the machine from dropping
down but plays no use in supporting the weight.

So your theory holds for one very specific example. In the general case
you are, as I and others have pointed out, totally wrong.

It does not even hold in this case really. Asside from the fact that I
have seen several flat based washing machines, even if there is only a
narrow contact point at the back of the sole plate, gravity will still
be acting straight down - hence even with a trolly angle of say 45
degrees the load will be shared 50-50 between the back and the base of
the trolly.

The only saving grace offered by the narrow contact point, is that the
load will have very little mechanical advantage on the joint between the
base and the back of the trolly. So the base will still carry half or
more of the load, but will do so mostly in shear close to the fulcrum,
and not experience much bending moment. Thus in this situation the
trolly is unlikely to be damaged even if it has a thin base plate, but
that is not the same as saying the base does not carry any load.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Rexx Magnus contains these words:

A Sack-truck.

Or sometimes sackbarrow.

ITYM "sackbarrer"

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these
words:

Yup, the...Netto I think...one was/is truly a pile of ****e.

I had one of them. Used it a couple of times, then when it was shagged
left it outside the front door by mistake. Local monsterkids nicked it
and while rolling down the hill a wheel fell off. Teehee!

You're lucky they didn't try to sue you. They'd have probably won

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

I had one of them. Used it a couple of times, then when it was shagged
left it outside the front door by mistake. Local monsterkids nicked it
and while rolling down the hill a wheel fell off. Teehee!

You're lucky they didn't try to sue you. They'd have probably won

That sort of case is largely mythical, and those that get through are
often lost on appeal.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these
words:

I had one of them. Used it a couple of times, then when it was
shagged left it outside the front door by mistake. Local
monsterkids nicked it and while rolling down the hill a wheel fell
off. Teehee!

You're lucky they didn't try to sue you. They'd have probably won

That sort of case is largely mythical, and those that get through are
often lost on appeal.

I do hope so; it'd be nice to believe that there was still a little bit of
common sense left somewhere.

P.S. I *was* joking...but you never know.

Si