Member

Default Hammer drill lost its hammer

I will probably get flamed here but here goes - i bought one of those Chinese SDS drills with rotostop and a kit of bits from France for euro 30. I was so impressed (for domestic use only) i bought another one on my next wine trip. A few months later they appeared in Srewfix etc. selling for about £40.00 without the bit kit.
One of mine has lost its "hammer" action and i was wondering if there was a way to repair it easily. It has not been used very much so worth repairing if i can. The other one has been used a lot for digging up concrete etc and has proved to be a real bargain for the price.

Anyone any ideas or experience?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

freddyuk wrote:

One of mine has lost its "hammer" action and i was wondering if there
was a way to repair it easily. It has not been used very much so worth

A mate of mine bought (well was given in fact) a JCB branded one. The
experiance was much the same - worked well enough for a while and then
lost hammer action. Shortly after it stripped it main drive gear and
lost rotation as well.

Your best bet would be to contact the store that sold it and see if
there is a possibility of a warrenty replacement. There is not usually
much chance of getting spares on these tools. Either that or decide that
30 euro was a fair price for the work it did, bin it and buy another.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , freddyuk
writes

I will probably get flamed here but here goes - i bought one of those
Chinese SDS drills with rotostop and a kit of bits from France for euro
30. I was so impressed (for domestic use only) i bought another one on
my next wine trip. A few months later they appeared in Srewfix etc.
selling for about £40.00 without the bit kit.
One of mine has lost its "hammer" action and i was wondering if there
was a way to repair it easily. It has not been used very much so worth
repairing if i can. The other one has been used a lot for digging up
concrete etc and has proved to be a real bargain for the price.

Anyone any ideas or experience?

I have the reverse of your problem.
My Bosch drill has developed a slight hammer action on *drill only*.
Years of abuse with oversize drill bits may have moved the hammer cam
along the shaft such that it is in permanent contact. Yours seems to
have gone the other way:-)

I don't know how these parts are assembled but the hammer collar may
just be heat shrunk to the shaft. Minor tolerance variations/abuse
perhaps have allowed it to slide out of position?

The annoying thing about even slight hammer action is that it blunts
conventional metal cutting bits:-(

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , freddyuk
writes

[...]

I expect the op machine has a proper hammer action with a little piston.

strip it down and look, or buy an identical one and take your one back
(after a week or two)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:54:32 GMT, "mrcheerful ."
wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , freddyuk
writes

I will probably get flamed here but here goes - i bought one of those
Chinese SDS drills with rotostop and a kit of bits from France for euro
30. I was so impressed (for domestic use only) i bought another one on
my next wine trip. A few months later they appeared in Srewfix etc.
selling for about £40.00 without the bit kit.
One of mine has lost its "hammer" action and i was wondering if there
was a way to repair it easily. It has not been used very much so worth
repairing if i can. The other one has been used a lot for digging up
concrete etc and has proved to be a real bargain for the price.

Anyone any ideas or experience?

I expect the op machine has a proper hammer action with a little piston.

strip it down and look, or buy an identical one and take your one back
(after a week or two)

So you're suggesting dishonesty?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

freddyuk wrote:
Anyone any ideas or experience?

If it'll be inside any guarantee period when you go back, get a refund.

If the guarantee's run out, take it to bits and see what's up. It'll
be interesting, if nothing else. You might even fix it.

If you CBA, bin it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Tim Lamb wrote:

I don't know how these parts are assembled but the hammer collar may
just be heat shrunk to the shaft. Minor tolerance variations/abuse
perhaps have allowed it to slide out of position?

The OPs drill sounded like an SDS - hence no cam collar etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

John Rumm wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
I don't know how these parts are assembled but the hammer collar may
just be heat shrunk to the shaft. Minor tolerance variations/abuse
perhaps have allowed it to slide out of position?

The OPs drill sounded like an SDS - hence no cam collar etc.

It is - he said "i bought one of those Chinese SDS drills with
rotostop and a kit of bits"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:
freddyuk wrote:
Anyone any ideas or experience?

If it'll be inside any guarantee period when you go back, get a refund.

It's a long way to go for a 30 euro drill, unless they're also prepared
to refund the ferry/eurotunnel fare. I'd check in advance.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

manatbandq wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
freddyuk wrote:
Anyone any ideas or experience?

If it'll be inside any guarantee period when you go back, get a refund.

It's a long way to go for a 30 euro drill, unless they're also prepared
to refund the ferry/eurotunnel fare. I'd check in advance.

The OP mentioned he "bought another one on [his] next wine trip". He
might go regularly, unlike the rest of us who have to shell out mucho
dinero to the tax-man, abstrad that he is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

freddyuk wrote:
I will probably get flamed here but here goes - i bought one of those
Chinese SDS drills with rotostop and a kit of bits from France for
euro
30. I was so impressed (for domestic use only) i bought another one on
my next wine trip. A few months later they appeared in Srewfix etc.
selling for about £40.00 without the bit kit.
One of mine has lost its "hammer" action and i was wondering if there
was a way to repair it easily. It has not been used very much so worth
repairing if i can. The other one has been used a lot for digging up
concrete etc and has proved to be a real bargain for the price.

Anyone any ideas or experience?

Thanks

Spray a load of WD40 down the chuck, very often the bearings that create the
hammering stick, also you shouldn't use them for just hammering or just
drilling, from time to time, swap them over and let each of them have a spin
AND a hammering session.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

freddyuk wrote:
I will probably get flamed here but here goes - i bought one of those
Chinese SDS drills with rotostop and a kit of bits from France for euro
30. I was so impressed (for domestic use only) i bought another one on
my next wine trip. A few months later they appeared in Srewfix etc.
selling for about £40.00 without the bit kit.
One of mine has lost its "hammer" action and i was wondering if there
was a way to repair it easily. It has not been used very much so worth
repairing if i can. The other one has been used a lot for digging up
concrete etc and has proved to be a real bargain for the price.

Anyone any ideas or experience?

Thanks

Don't always look to Screwfix for power tools. Argos will do that
cheapo SDS drill with all the bits for £30, with a UK plug and local
warranty!

Might be just the switch that selects hammer action that is at fault.
Have you topped up the grease as well? I find when new you have to top
up the grease the most.

Or give up drinking and you'll be able to afford something better. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

daddyfreddy wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
daddyfreddy wrote:
freddyuk wrote:
I will probably get flamed here but here goes - i bought one of those
Chinese SDS drills with rotostop and a kit of bits from France for
euro 30.

Argos will do that cheapo SDS drill with all the bits for £30, with a
UK plug and local warranty!

I don't think Argos do an SDS for £30?

My mistake, it's £29.99 not £30.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7110247.htm

Pah, not as good as my £25 "Thursday Morning special" from Aldi,
with 11 bits+jawed chuck+grease+spare brushes that *still* hasn't
gone wrong, (so I haven't needed the free 3-year warranty)!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:08:27 GMT, Guy King
wrote:

Out of interest, does anyone know how the hammerstop works on these
little pneumatic drills?

On some of the cheap ones there isn't really a "hammer stop", there's
just a sliding block that wedges the drill bit in the forward position.
The hammer is still flying back and forth, but it doesn't contact the
drill bit any more. Even when not "hammering", these still have a lot of
vibration.

Member

A ha someone was listening!
I paid euro 30(not £'s) for a couple of cheap drills. One i used a lot and is still going the other is virtually unused and the hammer action has ceased.
I was interested to know if it was worth trying to mend it or just chuck it in the bin.
I don't know how the hammer action works.
If money was no object i would have a shed full of the top of the range tools which would never break but would laso never get a lifetimes abuse so if i see a drill for euro 30 i am going to give it a try?? Aldi have taken up this challenge but i dont have an Aldi locally. The French seem to get these low priced tools before we do and i love to avoid VAT to Gordon if i can.

It shouldn't need grease etc as its hardly used?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from freddyuk contains these words:

It shouldn't need grease etc as its hardly used?

They need greasing really frequently.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.