f/256

Default somewhat OT question hammer drill

Yesterday I bought my first hammer drill, I have never used one before, I
tried it in both settings (hammer/drill and drill only) no drill bit
installed, I did not notice any difference in the behavior of the tool. So
the question is, when it is set to hammer, should I be able to see any
hammering action, or is the movement so minute that can not be visible
noticed?

Guillermo

baldwima

The hammering action is created when applying pressure to the drill
chuck. With no load there is not any movement. However, when you
chuck up a bit and press it against a solid surface in hammer mode, it
will hammer as it spins. It should be VERY hard to miss.

HTH
baldwima

baldwima

This is normal. The hammering doesn't occur until there is pressure on
the drill chuck while it is roatating. It will be very hard to miss.

Matt

baldwima

This is normal. The hammering doesn't occur until there is pressure on

the drill chuck while it is roatating. It will be very hard to miss.

Matt

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "f/256"
wrote:

the question is, when it is set to hammer, should I be able to see any
hammering action,

No. It's a cam action, you won't detect anything unless there's some
end-force on the bit. Try drilling some brick - you'll hear the
difference.

Hammer drill Evon Home Repair 10 December 15th 04 01:46 AM
freeing a stuck chuck (conventional, hammer drill) RichardS UK diy 2 December 13th 04 02:17 PM
drill press question Steve Woodturning 13 October 21st 04 12:20 AM
Chicago Electrics Rotary Hammer Drill Review Barry Criner Metalworking 0 September 21st 03 02:20 PM
sds hammer drill Andrew Gabriel UK diy 6 July 3rd 03 10:53 PM